Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which alarm panel integrates best with HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete
    replied
    I have not heard anything relating what is going on over at Cocoontech.

Leave a comment:

• keepersg
    replied
    Originally posted by smikkelsen View Post
    Thanks prsmith777 thats really helpful.

My hope was to install the panel up on the top floor in a utility room, and basically have nothing hardwired to it. I'd need a keypad on the second floor, and really need it to be wireless, as I don't have a way to fish wires without tearing into drywall. I wouldn't do any wired sensors either, they would all have to be wireless. Do those requirements kind of kill Elk as an option for me?
    With the Elk and Homeseer, you could do a wireless install as you've described by using all wireless sensors with the Elk, the M1G HS plugin, and an android or PC tablet configured with HSTouch to control the security system. Another option would be to use the Elk products directly on a wireless tablet. Remote Control Options for M1 - ELK Products

Remote Control Options for M1 Software, Apps, and Services M1 systems offer secure connectivity from … Remote Control Options for M1 Read More »

Leave a comment:

• prsmith777
    replied
    Hey Pete,

Have you heard what's going on at Cocoontech? Been down for a while now. Worried they might have been hit with ransomware or something else bad.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    Yeah here didn't work fast enough...redecorating...

Redid the TV room years ago. Subcontracted to remove the fireplace and redo it all with a stone face et call. While doing the TV room ran new electrical circuits to separate media and TV from lighting and outlets. Painted the entire room as she did not like the colors originally picked. I also went to wiring up for 7.1 surround sound and put two speakers in the ceiling, occupancy sensor et al. Fishing wires did have to cut some in to the drywall. I had a 2 foot mini attic in the ceiling of the TV room though. New carpeting and new windows dressings...took about a month to finish and it was mostly relating to the rebuild of the fireplace. Moved wife to the master bedroom (which was the same size as the TV room) to watch TV. Had a couch in the master bedroom so it worked fine.

Leave a comment:

• kenm
    replied
    I've found that having a good tape/texture guy in my Rolodex has saved me a lot of headaches over the years. I usually plan wiring around when my wife says she's thinking about re-decorating a room or rooms.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    I'd need a keypad on the second floor, and really need it to be wireless, as I don't have a way to fish wires without tearing into drywall.

As mentioned above Elk does not offer any wireless consoles. That said the console is a serial connection that uses 12VDC. You might be able to use wireless serial transceivers for the console.

I ran cabling in the last home which involved cutting drywall et al. The OmniPro 2 alarm panel sat in the basement of the two story home. I wired from the basement up to the main floor and from the attic down to the second floor after building a chase from the basement to the attic.

Way WAF worked was requests to redecorate. IE: paint, windows dressing, carpeting et al per room. While doing this I did the low voltage wiring in every room. (network, alarm, distributed audio).

Did the wiring again for next house. Using one wireless DB camera and it is OK but not at all the same as the wired POE cameras.

I did not do wiring for 2nd house. Rather used a Ring Alarm system with all wireless everything and a Ring to MQTT application.

I did POE wire the Ring Hub. 2nd house is now using all WiFi modded to Tasmota in wall switches (MQTT).

For the above the alarm wasn't really needed. I used the sensors wired or wireless for automation more than the alarm stuff.

Leave a comment:

• smikkelsen
    replied
    prsmith777 I'm using ubiquiti stuff as well. I went with a building to building bridge for my shop, it has been rock solid with zero issues. I've got quite a few IP cameras running off the shop network, and bandwidth has not been an issue.

Maybe I can just put the keypad and wireless module by the panel, and not have one on the main floor? I can just arm and disarm the system with homeseer I assume? I'm wondering if the wireless rx/tx will reach my whole house from the top floor.

I just paid a company to run speaker wire for me in a home theater. They had to put a crazy amount of holes in the wall to do it. Paint didn't quite match when I went to paint the repair work, so I ended up having to paint the entire room/ceiling over again. I definitely don't want to mess with more drywall crap right now. I'll have to think about it some more and see what my options are.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• prsmith777
    replied
    I also have a three story finished home with detached shop.

I don't think Elk has any wireless keypads. In fact, I am not aware of any alarm system with all wireless keypad system. You will probably also need to have your wireless receivers wired as well. You can research more, but I am betting you will need to pull some wires.

I am in the process of upgrading my alarm system as well as adding IP cams and adding power to Hunter Douglas shades which are battery powered. I am also adding power to some of my Aeotec Multisensors that take batteries. I am biting the bullet and hiring someone to do all the wire pulling. I havent had anyone come look yet but they will have my permission to tear into the drywall as needed. It is going to be a huge undertaking, but it will be worth it in the long run. Our drywall is skip trowelled texture, so easily repaired. I can do that and I can paint. So I am hoping it won't be too bad.

My detached shop is about 150 ft from the main residence. I researched options, and ultimately decided to go with Ubiquiti point to point wireless connection for network connection. I have a couple of switches in the attic which are connected to the home network which feed IP cams as well as Z-Net and Unifi AP. You can't put alarm sensors on this network, though. Fortunately most alarm receivers and transmitters can span 300+ ft unobstructed. I put an Elk wireless receiver in the attic near the shop and it seems to be fine.

Cocoontech is mostly a forum with lots of Elk knowledge among other things. Its sad they are down now especially when I need them most. Google cache seems to cover the majority of their posts but not all.

Leave a comment:

• smikkelsen
    replied
    Thanks prsmith777 thats really helpful.

This is a retro, I have a large 3 story home, all finished. My detached shop is also finished, and no way to run wires to it without busting up concrete pads etc.

My hope was to install the panel up on the top floor in a utility room, and basically have nothing hardwired to it. I'd need a keypad on the second floor, and really need it to be wireless, as I don't have a way to fish wires without tearing into drywall. I wouldn't do any wired sensors either, they would all have to be wireless. Do those requirements kind of kill Elk as an option for me?

I confirmed that Cocoontech is down. They are also not listed on Elks authorized reseller page: https://www.elkproducts.com/retail-distributors/ so I wonder if they would honor your warranty etc.

Anyway, this gives me a good start on what to look at. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• prsmith777
    replied
    I'm in the process of changing out my alarm system to Elk. I went with Elk mostly because of the excellent plugin by Ultra and the good reputation it has here and at cocoontech.com.

There are several people that have HS4 running with Ultra plugin without issues. I still have HS3.

When we bought the house there was an old Caddx panel hotwired to Go Control 2GIG panels with a combination of wired and wireless setup. When converting to Elk, I went with the Honeywell wireless transceivers because of the better variety of wireless stuff Honeywell has.

You can easily accomplish what you want with Elk. I can't comment about DSC. Elk has several different wireless frequencies you can choose to set up you system. You can even combine more than one type if you are ambitious. Look through their online catalog.

I have about 25 hard wired sensors and 40 wireless sensors including smokes. My house is large, so I have 2 recievers as well as a repeater.

If this is new construction, you won't have issues. If its a retrofit, then you might have issues running wires. You have to run wires for accessory speaker to the panels which is a quirk IMO since nearly all the alarm panels I looked at have built in speakers except for Elk. Some of the panels I looked at also have built in wireless transceivers, but Elk is separate. I ran into issues on the M1 Gold of not having enough power. It's rated at 1 amp max. I went over, so had to ad an extra power supply. All the extras add up.

Cocoontech is the go to place for all Elk info. Unfortunately their site has been down for a few weeks. Not sure if its a temporary thing or the end of them.

Leave a comment:

• smikkelsen
    replied
    This thread has some helpful opinions in it. I wanted to see if there are any new updated opinions or info now that HS4 has been out for a bit. Are any of the plugins kept up to date and converted for use with HS4? I think I see all of them in the legacy plugins section.

Monk suggested that Elk is better, more capable, but more costly? What can it do that the DSC system can't? A few mentioned the lack of support and attention to bugs fixing the DSC integration. Is the Elk the better way to go because of this?

I'm a total newb with both systems, and know very little about them. But here are my main goals:
    1. Add wireless door, and window sensors to the whole house. (about 20 windows, and 9 doors, maybe more if I do internal doors too)
    2. Add glass break sensors on about 15 windows
    3. Add a smart smoke detector (ideally I can just replace one of my smoke detectors since they all communicate)
    4. I have a detached shop that I'd like to be able to arm/disarm separately from the rest of the house, but have it all be on one alarm system.

Will I be able to use the same sensors and hardware on either system?

Leave a comment:

• DLONG2
    replied
    Maybe have HS dial to 911 and play a WAV file?

Leave a comment:

• davidcald
    replied
    I'm looking for a way to avoid actually adding more hardware and other components into my security solution. I like the KISS principal and have gotten pretty comfortable with using HS only based security after running it for a good test period. No interfacing to alarm panels required. I understand there are arguments against this but my needs are pretty basic and this so far seems to be working ok. The only real issue is I'd like to interface with a central monitoring service like Alarm Relay, but cant seem to find any solution that would work directly from HS events. These all are meant to be added to an alarm panel unless I've missed something. I'd be happy with internet only comms as my main goal is to get a break on homeowners insurance. It would seem with all the amazing HS plugins developed for interfaces to everything there would be something to send coded messages to a monitoring service. Maybe i'm oversimplifying 🤔.

Anyone know of a solution(s)???

Leave a comment:

• mulu
    replied
    I went with the DSC system because it doesn't depend on any online service. In other words, there are no monthly fees and you don't depend on an internet connection. The biggest issue I have with it is that HomeSeer (@Rupp @rjh) doesn't bother about very basic functionality like being able to trigger when a zone is bypassed/unbypassed. Besides that rather serious issue that HS doesn't care about, the DSC system is rock solid and you will find a lot of help online in case you should need any help.

Leave a comment:

• DLONG2
    replied
    Originally posted by balpaugh View Post
    I've been looking at the Qolsys panel and it has some great features. I have read that it can be setup in HS4 as a secondary controller. Does that mean i could use some of these features (GEO fence, arming, disarming, etc) and be able to pass that status back to HS4 to then act on those? I really like the features of this panel and it would certainly fill some holes in Homeseer. Thank you.
    I haven't seen where the QolSys panel can communicate with HS, and vice versa. Would be great to be able to get the alarm panel status to HS4. I am guessing the 'secondary' aspect of QolSys might involve the use of a separate z-wave network for controlling lights, etc. It does have the option of geo fencing, but I decided to not use that feature, as my cell phone in anyone's pocket would then become like a door key.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X