Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Ademco/Vista plugin works the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Ademco/Vista plugin works the best?

My new home comes with a Vista 15p alarm system. If I were to keep the existing alarm system, which plugin works best with it?

is there only one Vista/Ademco plugin? I thought I originally saw 2 but now I only see the one from Mark Sandler.

Comment

There are two, the other one is "EnvisaLink Ademco" by Spud.

I use the Sandler one which I'm very happy with. I've heard good things about the other as well. Major difference is the required hardware interface:

Vista Alarm (Sandler) interfaces by USB via the Nutech AD2USB (HomeSeer shows this as "on order" but if you google you can find it at the manufacturers site)

EnvisaLink Ademco interfaces via Ethernet via the Eyez-On EnvisaLink

The latter may offer greater flexibility in cases where the panel is some distance from the HS computer.

Comment

PS. I have the Vista 21iP panel. I got my stuff from Alarm Grid and Amazon. I went with Ademco (Honeywell) over DSC since at the time, I found it easier to find info on the former. Alarm Grid is a great information resource.

Comment

I have spud's PIs and 3 EVL-4 interfaces on 2 vista panels and one DSC and they're rock solid. I can't offer any comparison as I don't have the AD2USB interface.
          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
            There are two, the other one is "EnvisaLink Ademco" by Spud.

I use the Sandler one which I'm very happy with. I've heard good things about the other as well. Major difference is the required hardware interface:

Vista Alarm (Sandler) interfaces by USB via the Nutech AD2USB (HomeSeer shows this as "on order" but if you google you can find it at the manufacturers site)

EnvisaLink Ademco interfaces via Ethernet via the Eyez-On EnvisaLink

The latter may offer greater flexibility in cases where the panel is some distance from the HS computer.
            Thanks for the clarification. I noticed Spud's plugin says it's for DSC alarm panels. However, the Envisalink is compatible with the both Ademco and DSC panels. I'm leaning towards the Sandler plugin but like the Ethernet interface of the Envisalink. My HS server is going to be located in the same closet as the alarm panel so I guess it doesn't matter. If I chose to move it I guess I could use the existing CAT6 cable runs to run the AD2USB to the alarm panel.

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
              I have spud's PIs and 3 EVL-4 interfaces on 2 vista panels and one DSC and they're rock solid. I can't offer any comparison as I don't have the AD2USB interface.
              Thanks for your comments. Why did you opt for the EnvisaLink and Spud's plugin versus the AD2USB? Was it because the of the hardware interface or the plugin capabilities? Or both? I live that the Envisalink connects via an ethernet connection versus USB. But don't know of any advantages of either interfaces or plugins.

Comment

Shoot. Now that I think about it. I like the idea of adding my alarm system directly to the network without relying on a computer or software. Does this option make it less secure since if someone hacks into my home network that have access to my alarm panel?

Comment

Originally posted by mgonzales100 View Post

Thanks for your comments. Why did you opt for the EnvisaLink and Spud's plugin versus the AD2USB? Was it because the of the hardware interface or the plugin capabilities? Or both? I live that the Envisalink connects via an ethernet connection versus USB. But don't know of any advantages of either interfaces or plugins.
                  Hardware connection drove my decision. A LAN drop made much more sense than USB to a local PC in each of my 3 locations, and the panel is remotely accessible by web or app without a PC running on the LAN if I ever need it as backup to access via HS.
                  -Wade

Comment

We have a Vista 15p. What do we need to do to our current system to connect it to HS?

Comment

Originally posted by MMorin View Post
                      We have a Vista 15p. What do we need to do to our current system to connect it to HS?
                      First, you need the "installer code" of the panel. This is required so that you can program it.

Then choose between one of the two available (paid) plugins. The plugins communicate with the panel through an interface; post no. 3 above has links to where these can be purchased.

Comment

Working...
                      X