Aeotec Heavy Duty Switch - Not Autoreporting Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dweingartner View Post
    @AZweimille how is the Aeotec working for you? I'm close to recommending it to a customer who just needs the energy monitoring function for a heavy load. This is the only device I've found that will handle 20A and do the reporting.
    I tinkered with mine for weeks and finally gave up. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to report Watts. I don't recommend it at all.

I ended up going with Brultech GEMs for the house instead.

Comment

Did it report Amps? All my guy needs to know if the load device is on or off. It has its own timer, so an amps threshold check would work.

Comment

It's been a while, but I don't think Amps were reporting either.

Comment

Aeotec (AeonLabs) by default don't push out reports, and you have to configure the Z-Wave parameters per your wishes.

This is all documented in detail, but not explained as clear often as it should be.

I should probably pick up a HDS, but don't have a need just yet, and get by with their 1st gen appliance switches, mini, micro, and nano in-wall as well as their power strips with 1st gen and 2nd gen HEMs and they all report power usage just fine in high detail. I've usually got delta reporting set to 5% when I don't know the load or tuned accordingly and they are the Z-Wave devices reporting energy changes the fastest of all brands I use.

Comment

Trust me I tried adjusting the parameters. Just never worked.

Comment

I cant get it to report watts or amps either in HS4. Tried two different Aeotec units.

Comment

Mine are the same. No matter what parameters i set it does not report changes instant. I run Latest HS4 (4.1.16)

Comment

Originally posted by Tinge76 View Post
                  Mine are the same. No matter what parameters i set it does not report changes instant. I run Latest HS4 (4.1.16)
                  Copy and paste the Z-Wave parameter table from the Aeotec manual, and copy all the values HomeSeer provides you on each value (make sure to check for 1/2/4 byte values), and then show us what you have. It is otherwise impossible to help you fix it without full insight if you have conflicting settings or invalid configuration to make it do what you want.

Comment

I fiddled with this device for a solid two days straight trying all sorts of parameters. I also tried 2 different units. No reporting of Watts or Amps. Nada. Mine are now sitting in a box in the garage gathering dust.

Comment

I put in a best offer, because I'm not going to pay full price on an item that I won't have any use for right now, but will require in a couple of years.

HomeSeer doesn't have proper support for devices with a lot of extra Z-Wave parameters. Wish they would just get on with it and implement a device-handler the way other controllers do it, so that factories or pro-users can create/share those device-handlers for others.

At least everything is available for the tech-savvy ones, but just a pain-in-the-a.. to configure one setting at a time manually.

Now keep in mind that the official Aeotec manual for this device only mentions that there is support for Watt and kWh, but the technical manual has 4-bit matrix to configure current and voltage reporting as well. It's a 4-byte value with 3-bytes and a nibble reserved, so that makes configuration even easier. 0x02 would be current on 4th byte, 0x0F would be for kWh+Watt+Current+Voltage. But before that works, at least six other parameters need to be configured correct or it will still remain silent on reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post

Copy and paste the Z-Wave parameter table from the Aeotec manual, and copy all the values HomeSeer provides you on each value (make sure to check for 1/2/4 byte values), and then show us what you have. It is otherwise impossible to help you fix it without full insight if you have conflicting settings or invalid configuration to make it do what you want.
                        I have set up this unit to report all Whour, Power, Amp and Volt By setting
                        Parameter 80 to 1.
                        Parameter 90 to 1.
                        Paramter 91 to 50
                        Paramter 92 to 10
                        Parameter 101 to 7
                        Paranmter 102 to 8
                        Paramter 111 to 60
                        Parameter 112 to 3600
                        Assosiaton Group 1 and 2 set to ID1 (homeseer)

It does repport Volt and Current each 60 second but only Power each 60 second if it is above 0 watt.
                        Whour is reportet each hour as set.
                        But I was expecting with parameter 80 setting to 1 that it should report any change in watt, or volt isntantly according 91/92 settings?
                        This never work.
                        Is it an error in the FW or does the Heavy Duty not have this capability?

Comment

Did you try setting parameter 80 to 2 (basic report) instead of 1 (hail)? Not sure why you need Homeseer in Association group 2.

Comment

It might also help to change 91 to 5 (W and be careful it is 2-byte value) and 92 to 1 (%, 1-byte), but all depends on your load characteristics. You don't want to overload your Z-Wave network with power report updates that don't matter much on the statistical scale.

I'll check my wide range of Aeotec devices on what values I use... especially their 1st gen power strip was a nightmare to get sorted on reporting initially and now I got it working in as real-time as you can get to where if I shut down my HTPC via Windows, it will automatically kill power to the HTPC and power down my Marantz receiver *if* the power usage of HTPC hits 0W, and it often is a rapid click-click from the powerstrip the moment Windows has shut down and the HomeSeer scene safety delay has elapsed.

So, Aeotec does send 0W on all the devices I have (powerstrip, 1st gen switch, 5th gen, 6th gen, micro switch, nano switch, and nano dimmer), so I highly doubt it is different on their HeavyDuty one, but I cannot confirm without having access to one and eBay expired my bid.

Keep in mind it reports "going" to 0W, it is not going to hail 0W to 0W, for that you will need to use basic CC report (80 set to 2). On my devices there is also a 3, and 4 option usually where 4 is to force a hail when device switch is activated to force push notification to HomeSeer to update the value. That's always been my struggle as I designed everything to allow for manual control and was irritated by HomeSeer status not matching actual situation.

Does the heavy duty switch allow for activation on/off if you use a button on the Aeotec? They might have support for 80=4 then and not update their tech guide (would have to check the firmware changelog then). Speaking of which did you confirm you are running latest firmware?

Comment

I know this is an old Post, but i have a solution to the problem discussed here. I actually use another home automation platform, but have the same problem, that is how I stumbled upon this post (google search for this issue) I too had the 0-5000 - back to 0 issue. tried 2 units. same thing. contacted support. got nothing. well it turns out my wiring was wrong. I wired my external outlet the same as the original outlet in the wall red on the left and black on the right, except my plug was turned upside down. so those actually ended up being flipped.. I took 1 plug and switched red for black. and no more 0--5000 bit. I have tinkered with this issue for YEARS. lol and at the end of the day it was my own fault. so I signed up to post the solution incase any future googlers come across this problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X