No announcement yet.

Generator notifcation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madcodger You might take a look at parameters 20 and 22. They are temperature High Low set points for the LS100. Here is manual.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/12...16347134804515

Comment

Great timing. .I had a generac installed yesterday. I get the full rundown on operating it after the inspections are done.

it hooks to wifi...all New models do....and despite a subscription fee (ugh), seems like I can get all the notifications I need.

my HS3 is also on a UPS and I run BLUPS PI... if my power goes out I have it set to email had text me immediately...works great. If that happens at the predefined maintenance time every month, then I'll know my test was run.

Comment

I've had something working, still working under HS 1.7 that I did old school.

2 Relays.

1st one is hooked to main AC power (it's a reed relay, using a 9v transformer stepped down to about 6V for heat dissipation because it's normally always energized.

2nd one is an old fashion R/S 120V AC coil DP/DT relay that is connected to the generator output side of the transfer switch.

Both are connected to HS via my Ocelot and Secu16 digital inputs.

Wrote a simple script.

* If Relay 1 is on, then main power is active
        * If Relay 1 goes off and Relay 2 is off then power failure (Speak through the house and send an email)
        * If Relay 1 stays off and Relay 2 goes on then Generator has kicked in and is supplying whole house generator power.
        * If Relay 1 is on and Relay 2 goes on then both main AC and Generator power is active (ergo, the generator is in it's test cycle, announce and log the test start and end times).

A rather simple binary comparison and event trigger on each Secu16 input that tests each input and depending if 10,11,01,10 you can tell if you have AC main power, Generator power and if it's a 01 then the generator is in backup mode. If 11 then the generator is in test mode.

Been working for about 10 years now and through 2 Generac generators.

g

Comment

I used the Homeseer HS-FS100-L to detect the indicator light when the generator is generating electricity. The indicator is lit whether it is in a test mode or full mode.

Been working well for 3 weeks now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	generator pushover.png Views:	0 Size:	377.6 KB ID:	1366192Click image for larger version  Name:	generator events.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.7 KB ID:	1366200

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post

Have you considered using the temperature rate of change as a trigger? It might be as simple as recording the temperature periodically (once a minute, maybe) and then computing the difference between readings. 2 devices and EasyTrigger?

You could also have a separate reading of the outside temperature and compare it to the reading in the cabinet.
            Thank you. I have thought about rate of change, and comparisons to outside temperature. I currently have HS3 running on a Raspberry Pi (Zee S2). Frankly, I've had some issues with keeping HS up and running IF I have more than one plugin (Z-wave) running. So, I have been trying to keep plugins to a minimum. I just added Ultra's WU3 to monitor external temps at the property, where I have a Davis Pro running and connected to Weather Underground. If HS remains stable with this plugin running, I'll certainly try some comparison to the external temp (good idea). Rate of change may require yet another plugin (e.g., EasyTrigger) so that could complicate things. Let me see where things go with stability. If possible, I like each of these ideas and appreciate them.
            Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Originally posted by Madcodger View Post
              Rate of change may require yet another plugin (e.g., EasyTrigger) so that could complicate things. Let me see where things go with stability. If possible, I like each of these ideas and appreciate them.
              Glad to complicate your life with suggestions.
              (You could also use a script to compute rate of change. Might not be any more difficult than adding a plug-in.)
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Just a quick update... The generator ran its normal test cycle today, when it was about 36-37F outside (not very cold for Maine in Feb). The temp change indicating "generator on" was detected within two minutes. However, the temp change indicating "generator off" took about 24 minutes to be detected. Good enough for my needs, but definitely not precise.
                Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

I do, more or less, exactly what Devan B is doing. I have two HS light sensors in my transfer switch. One tells me if the generator kicked on-- the other tells me if we lost power on the street. That way I can ignore self tests...

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                  Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                  weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
                  X