Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to automate a shutdown and restart of HS on a Zee S2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way to automate a shutdown and restart of HS on a Zee S2?

I have been plagued with a Zee S2 that locks up every 1-3 days. I’ve filed a support ticket but have received no response after 2-3 days (Rupp suggested a beta version might be available to address this but I don’t see one available). My solution to date has been to have HS reboot itself every day at 4:40 AM, which has generally worked. But the log notes that the system was not shut down properly on each reboot, and that seems like a less-than-ideal thing. So... Is there any way to just have HS shut itself down properly and then restart, automatically? I don’t have the ability to write code/scripts, but if others have a solution I would be grateful for it. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

There's a potential fix for this. Did you put in a help desk request? If so what is the number and I'll investigate.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Subscribed as I may be experiencing the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by bjhampe View Post
        Subscribed as I may be experiencing the same issue.
        Did you put in a support ticket?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

Did you put in a support ticket?
          I have not as I wan't sure if that was my issue or not.

Comment

There are ways outside of Homeseer 3 and related to creating a HS3 service and a cron job.

But it involves some scripting. Many folks here are doing that.

One software aid is to utilize Webmin which is an HTML management GUI.

Using Webmin you do not have to utilize SSH or SFTP to do stuff.

Creating a service would be just a clip and paste from the many that have been posted here.

Thinking too if HS3 runs as a service then a shut down / reboot command would shut down the HS3 application before shutting down and rebooting automagically.

Here only reboot when requested after updates.

Curious what are you needing to fix that is making you shut down and reboot the computer? Over time this will trash the HS3 DB.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Not sure about OP, but in my case, my Z-Wave locks up and I can't control anything. I usually have to restart the Z-Wave interface and then restart HomeSeer. Wasn't paying a great deal of attention to the frequency of occurrence however.

Comment

There have been issues with a clean shutdown of HS3 and plugins taking too long to shut down. Easiest way to test is to run Homeseer 3 via the command line ./go and then shut down HS3 via the GUI and watch the command line. You will see delayed shutdowns there.

So ideally the restart HS3 script would entail maybe separate plugins shut downs.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by bjhampe View Post
                  Not sure about OP, but in my case, my Z-Wave locks up and I can't control anything. I usually have to restart the Z-Wave interface and then restart HomeSeer. Wasn't paying a great deal of attention to the frequency of occurrence however.
                  I’m the OP, and having exactly that issue.HS just locks up. It stops, events stop, and it becomes inaccessible. A restart of the device fixes it, but as noted, that can cause other issues (trashed DB) over time.

We shouldn’t have to use a bunch of third party tools, or learn advanced auto mechanics, to make a car run when we bring it home from the dealer. So why do we accept it from something like a HS device/software that is nothing but “stock”? In my case, I’m just trying to have a few temperature and leak sensors monitor the place, and have a few simple z-wave appliance links turn things on or off based on those sensors. I have two plugins, Zwave and BLLAN (which stopped working, too). And HST can’t build a product that can stay up and running with something that simple? Well, that’s just BS.
                  Madcodger

Comment

My ZWave test network here is only 120VAC devices and not battery powered.

I did originally test BLLAN and would work on an off and I could not depend on it.

I went from using an ARM CPU (like an RPi) to an Intel CPU (BeeLink) for my Homeseer3 lite. With this I can run a windows 7E VB and Jon00's network monitoring utility which works 100% of the time. (IE: it monitors my 15 tabletop touchscreens - turns them off at night et al).

Currently do utilize hard wired sensors with my OmniPro 2 panel which Homeseer 3 is connected to via the Omni plugin.

Many years ago did install a second OmniPro 2 panel for 2nd home. There are a few Homeseer 1 folks here that still have multiple OmniPanels in use from the 1990's.

Flood sensors, water shutoff, smokes, temperature, humidity, thermostats et al are all hard wired and have worked 100% over the years.

Trending now though is iOT and wireless alarms mostly cuz they are cheap and easy to install.

The temperature and temperature humidity sensors have worked fine now over 15 years. The powered water sensor(s) is also over 15 years old.

Personally I would not put any wireless sensors for stuff related to flood or sump pump devices.

You can purchase an analog to digital device for these sensors if you want. You can also still purchase a Sensaphone 400 monitoring system from Amazon today.

An Ocelot (tested with Linux) would work for you. It is 12VDC powered and would connect to your RPi via a serial to USB cable.

A modified SonOff with WLAN Tasmota / ESpurna wireless MQTT is more dependable even though it is wireless cuz there are more pieces in the transport.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete. I am currently on my 5th attempt to get a beta version sent to me last night by HST to extract onto a new SD card (the machine works well for everything else), so if I can get that to work AND have yet another hour to kill (instead of doing all the other things I need to do before we leave here for two months in winter), then I’ll give this new version a try.

On the other hand, my ISY in another building is just chugging merrily along, without fail. It’s the fourth one I’ve owned in various properties (the new owners all still have them installed to the best of my knowledge) and I can’t recall one ever failing. It’s a bit harder to set up and program, and I don’t like its z-wave radio as well as the Zee S2, but it works. Every day, all day. I don’t need to babysit it. It. Just. Works. Homeseer might want to think about what they need to do to achieve similar reliability, especially for devices they sell that have not been modified.

I bought the Zee S2 instead of using the HS3 licenses I own for both the Rpi version and Windows because I needed a reliable controller for basic, simple home automation, that just sipped power. I figured that if I used a HST-supplied device and kept my plugins simple and few, that should work. Wow, was I wrong... I fear this is going to be a problem that solves itself, in the form of me purchasing some additional ISYs when we return in a couple of months, but let’s see what happens between now and then. As always, though, I appreciate your comments and thoughts. For now, though, I have to go restart the extraction again on another machine, as it just failed. Again. Seems like a theme...
                      Madcodger

Comment

Madcodger subscribed as i have this issue too. Running HS4 Z2 with V4.2.6.0. Why does it trash the DB? Too bad HS couldn't have a built in event [in the form of a script] in the event you needed to invoke as a means of getting around the problem. Better yet would be to get to the root cause. In my case, I'm just turning on a combo of Insteon and Zwave lights, on dusk/dawn events. When it fails I come out and the lights have not shut off. Neither the web interface via my laptop nor the mobile app get a response. Cycling power and its good to go.....for a while. Have not determined if its periodic or not. So far about 12 days "good". HELP!

Comment

Cycling power will eventually trash your sd card (and DBs being utilized).

For some root cause analysis enable logging of your events and maybe externally monitor processes. HTop will show individual plugins utilization.

RPi monitor is a nice utility with it's own web page.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            Cycling power will eventually trash your sd card (and DBs being utilized).

For some root cause analysis enable logging of your events and maybe externally monitor processes. HTop will show individual plugins utilization.

RPi monitor is a nice utility with it's own web page.
                            Pete Is there an SD card on the HS4 Zee S2? I don't recall that. Does RPi monitor and HTop run on the HS4 Zee S2 [Pi device] ?

thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Madcodger View Post
                              I have been plagued with a Zee S2 that locks up every 1-3 days. I’ve filed a support ticket but have received no response after 2-3 days (Rupp suggested a beta version might be available to address this but I don’t see one available). My solution to date has been to have HS reboot itself every day at 4:40 AM, which has generally worked. But the log notes that the system was not shut down properly on each reboot, and that seems like a less-than-ideal thing. So... Is there any way to just have HS shut itself down properly and then restart, automatically? I don’t have the ability to write code/scripts, but if others have a solution I would be grateful for it. Thanks in advance for any help.
                              What do you mean by locks up?

Comment

Working...
                              X