Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to automate a shutdown and restart of HS on a Zee S2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madcodger View Post

I’m the OP, and having exactly that issue.HS just locks up. It stops, events stop, and it becomes inaccessible. A restart of the device fixes it, but as noted, that can cause other issues (trashed DB) over time.

We shouldn’t have to use a bunch of third party tools, or learn advanced auto mechanics, to make a car run when we bring it home from the dealer. So why do we accept it from something like a HS device/software that is nothing but “stock”? In my case, I’m just trying to have a few temperature and leak sensors monitor the place, and have a few simple z-wave appliance links turn things on or off based on those sensors. I have two plugins, Zwave and BLLAN (which stopped working, too). And HST can’t build a product that can stay up and running with something that simple? Well, that’s just BS.
    Madcodger You, my friend, hit the nail on the head!!! I have the same issue. Reboot and I'm good to go for "a while" and the interval between having to reboot is variable.

Comment

While it would be nice if everything worked as expected, it is not always the case. I have observed that if I try to access the HS Message Board at midnight EST it will be unresponsive. Clearly they are doing a daily maintenance activity which likely includes clearing out garbage that has accumulated over the day.

When HS has crashed then HS cannot be used to recover. One approach is an external monitor, which I thought was the idea behind HSSentry. Either it has not been enabled or it was not designed to deal with the specific failure mode being observed.

Another approach is clear the accumulated garbage before it becomes a problem. A daily restart of HS (or every 8 hours, or whatever works for you) can be easily done with a HS event scheduled at a specific time or time interval to set the HS Restart device that is available in the mcsMQTT plugin. This does an orderly shutdown and restart of HS and all enabled plugins.

Comment

Michael,

You are correct. I've figured out that they reboot the message board server at midnight EST (+5 GMT) every night. Only lasts about 4 minutes so I've learned to go to the loo at midnight! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          While it would be nice if everything worked as expected, it is not always the case. I have observed that if I try to access the HS Message Board at midnight EST it will be unresponsive. Clearly they are doing a daily maintenance activity which likely includes clearing out garbage that has accumulated over the day.

When HS has crashed then HS cannot be used to recover. One approach is an external monitor, which I thought was the idea behind HSSentry. Either it has not been enabled or it was not designed to deal with the specific failure mode being observed.

Another approach is clear the accumulated garbage before it becomes a problem. A daily restart of HS (or every 8 hours, or whatever works for you) can be easily done with a HS event scheduled at a specific time or time interval to set the HS Restart device that is available in the mcsMQTT plugin. This does an orderly shutdown and restart of HS and all enabled plugins.
          Hi Michael,
          I've highlighted in bold what you said, because until I can figure out why my HS gets hinky every once and a while [not turning on certain ZWAVE] lights, sometimes Insteon AND ZWAVE devices, a scheduled restart is what I need. Currently, I restart manually [cycle its power plug] to get things working again but if i could automate that, that would be preferred.
          So all I have to do is search the plug ins area for the mcsMQTT plugin and setup up an event to "restart" every so many days? If not, if you could outline what you did that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for this.

Comment

mcsMQTT plugin provides several integrations and generally presents them using a model of a MQTT communication. The MQTT Page, Association Tab is the primary way of viewing what is available. In the case of the HS & Plugin status and control, mcsMQTT provides a set of endpoints that represent HS and each plugin that it identified. Most easily viewed by using the T1 (Topic tier 1) filter with HS as the selection item.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0x.png Views:	0 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	1557768

If only interested in HS and not the plugins, then the "a" column checkbox should be used on the row that shows the HS4 (or equivalent for various flavors of HS) endpoint. This will result in a HS device being created. In my test case it is device 9042 and the table updated to reflect this

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	0 Size:	23.2 KB ID:	1557769

When looking at the HS4 Devices page (or HS3 DeviceUtility) it will show up as having two controls. Shutdown and Restart. You will note that the Room and Floor are assigned HS as the default. You are welcome to change these (and Name) to better fit your preferences.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.png Views:	0 Size:	12.0 KB ID:	1557770
            The status reflected will be the CPU use over the last 1 minute. The controls can be used from an event as the event's action. The trigger condition is of your choice using the built in HS Event Trigger or something like EasyTrigger.

In the example below I used sunrise as the trigger time to restart HS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.png Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	1557771

Comment

Michael McSharry I think what you just explained made my head explode. I was hoping that the solution would be a little bit simpler.

Tangent: When my system recently failed to turn on my Zwave lights, instead of just power cycling my HS4 Pi, I thought I'd try launching the mobile app and try a restart, but before I did that I thought I'd try turning on/off the Zwave plugin and see if that would do anything to get things going. But before I did that I noticed that there was an update for the Zwave plugin. So I downloaded it and installed it then lo and behold things started working again. So the whole reason I was looking into this programmable restart was because when the system fails, as described, I've just been cycling power and things just start working again. "Something" seems to be particularly screwy with the Zwave because the Insteon light modules are working fine. Thanks for your post!

Comment

Shorthand version... Install mcsMQTT plugin. From HS Plugin tab select mcsMQTT and MQTT Page. On Association tab select HS in the T1 selector. Check the "a" column checkbox on the row with the name HS or HSConsole. Setup event to run at a time of day with action of control device and command it to Restart.

Shorter version... create a HS Device, create event to set this device to Restart.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  Shorthand version... Install mcsMQTT plugin. From HS Plugin tab select mcsMQTT and MQTT Page. On Association tab select HS in the T1 selector. Check the "a" column checkbox on the row with the name HS or HSConsole. Setup event to run at a time of day with action of control device and command it to Restart.

Shorter version... create a HS Device, create event to set this device to Restart.
                  Thanks Mike. I'll revisit this in the future. For now I've moved to a Hometroller Plus and I'm in the process of trying to get that to work. I did a backup of my HS4 Pi then a restore to my Hometroller Plus. Everything looks like it came over in terms of devices and events with the exception of one Zwave device. Now I'm installing the plug ins and seeing if I can control devices.

Comment

Working...
                  X