Controlling HomeSeer Via Tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling HomeSeer Via Tablets

Didn't know if this should be in the Touchscreen Hardware forum, so posting here.

Running HS3pi, starting to install a Insteon/Z-Wave based system to replace a ancient X-10 system. Want to control within the house using Android tablets. Would like to be able to have a decent looking/easy to use GUI, is there anything out there besides dropping big bucks on HSTouch Designer?

Originally posted by MikeMcM1956 View Post
    Running HS3pi, starting to install a Insteon/Z-Wave based system to replace a ancient X-10 system. Want to control within the house using Android tablets. Would like to be able to have a decent looking/easy to use GUI, is there anything out there besides dropping big bucks on HSTouch Designer?
    Some people have designed some good looking screens with ImperiHome. It isn't as flexible as HSTouch, but it works well and is worth considering.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Here using a modded tabletop tablet that can be mounted on the wall from around 2009. It is a first generation iOT Intel CPU tablet built by Openpeak.

It was originally sold with a flash based cloud Linux. Later Cisco used the Openpeak tablet for a Cisco Cius VOIP system. Cisco also used it as an iOT energy management box with thermostat connectivity. Verizon and other Telcos used it for a touchscreen VOIP system.

It'll run Linux, Android or Windows. I utilize HSTouch designer running on W2016 and accessible via RDP on Linux.

I personally like using Windows HSTouch because I can use the speaker client with whatever SAPI speech fonts I want.

Specs are a dual threaded Atom CPU, 512Mb of RAM, EFI to Seabios for Windows use, Gb NIC, combo internal Bluetooth / WLAN.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_83886.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1344951
      Modifications are a 16Gb SSD drive, Realtek NIC ROM modification and a tiny RTC with battery (optional).

Runs XPe / HSTouch / Speaker (SAPI) just fine. Total remote control via Jon00's monitoring and management software.
      Testing W7e (works OK) and W8E (slow but functional).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Joggler.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.3 KB ID:	1344945

Recently saw 14" 4:3 new touchscreen monitors on Ebay for $25 with free shipping. You could just tack a micro PC to the back of one of these and run Windows 10 or Win7E or Win 8.1e on the microPC.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I’m using an RCA tablet to view cameras and it is working very well. Runs Win10. Doesn’t have 5g WiFi.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
          I’m using an RCA tablet to view cameras and it is working very well. Runs Win10. Doesn’t have 5g WiFi.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
          Thanks for the link, just ordered one to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            Some people have designed some good looking screens with ImperiHome. It isn't as flexible as HSTouch, but it works well and is worth considering.
            I'll give it a look, thanks.

Comment

Have you tried HSMobile? It's the newer entry level HS3 GUI and it's free. Just an FYI, if you purchase HS3 Pro it includes the HSTouch Designer and you can make some nice screens but it doesn't take some time.

Also there are so many affordable Android tablets now that it makes this an easy choice. I'd personally recommend staying away from the Window tablets as many of the touch interfaces are moving towards iOS and Android only.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                Have you tried HSMobile? It's the newer entry level HS3 GUI and it's free. Just an FYI, if you purchase HS3 Pro it includes the HSTouch Designer and you can make some nice screens but it doesn't take some time.

Also there are so many affordable Android tablets now that it makes this an easy choice. I'd personally recommend staying away from the Window tablets as many of the touch interfaces are moving towards iOS and Android only.
                I'm running HSMobile on my phone now, I need to play around with setting up some dashboards.

Comment

I'll give it a look, thanks.
                  I can help you here if you want. I have multiple Android tablets around my house with a pretty customized Imperihome setup. In have a mix of Fire and Lenovo currently,....all working perfectly over WiFi.

Comment

I'll take a different side of the discussion. How much time and money are you willing to spend to not spend the $220 or if you are patient buying it on sale at a steeper discount? You will have to invest time in learning hstouch but there are templates available. Some of the templates have incredibly sophisticated interfaces. I started my HStouch project from scratch and opted for a utilitarian design. My system has grown through the years and the ability to quickly modify for device changes has been necessary to keep a high WAF. I run all android.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Thanks for the link, just ordered one to play with.
                      Finally arrived last night, I wanted to like it but it's going back. Sluggish, touchscreen seemed buggy. Next experiment will probably be 8" or 10" Fire tablet, the price is hard to argue with.

Comment

Let us know what you think about the fire tablets. I am also considering a few options.
                        A computer's attention span is as long
                        as it's powercord.

Comment

Originally posted by sdanks View Post
                          Let us know what you think about the fire tablets. I am also considering a few options.
                          I put one on my Christmas list, if Santa doesn't bring it I'll be a bad elf and get it myself....

Comment

I have 4 7" Fire tablets on the wall for touchscreen control of HS. I use HSMetro Live Tile, which can be found under the user interface section. This is free, does require some editing to text files to modify it, but works well. Not completely customizable, but still I like it. Especially the price. I like the fire tablets, because there is no logo on the front of the
                            tablet, but because they are Amazon, there are some tradeoffs. Really would like to root them.
                            Bruce

Comment

The first thing I did with my fire tablet was to side load the Google Play store (instructions for doing so are on the internet). Having access to the play store minimizes a lot of the annoyances of the fire tablets.

Comment

Working...
                              X