Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check on battery devices?

Hi,

Since battery devices will send out data only on state change, how do we monitor it? We can not Pool it? Battery devices does not support interval state sending (each hour, for example), so we can not set an alarm, if the device does not report in 2 hours then alert. How do we know it's there are alive and working correctly?

Any ideas?

Does Set wake-up interval in Device Z-wave helps any?

Thank you

Br,
    Dali

My battery devices (Fibaro PIR sensors and Oregon weather sensors) all show up various alarm conditions if either the battery is below a certain level or if they enter other 'fail' conditions (depends upon the device I think). I also have events monitoring certain devices that send me an email or 'Pushover' message if they haven't reported for 'n' minutes/hours.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
      . I also have events monitoring certain devices that send me an email or 'Pushover' message if they haven't reported for 'n' minutes/hours.
      Ok, door/windows sensors for example. Is does not report anything if the state does not change. That could be weeks/months. So how so set up alerts like you described? Battery device will not report like each hour (I'm still closed...I'm still closed....I'm still closed(. It will act dead until next state change.

Thank you

Br,
      Dali

Comment

Originally posted by Kdiamond View Post
        Ok, door/windows sensors for example. Is does not report anything if the state does not change. That could be weeks/months. So how so set up alerts like you described? Battery device will not report like each hour (I'm still closed...I'm still closed....I'm still closed(. It will act dead until next state change.
        You could give my SDJ-Health plug-in a try, it's free so you've nothing to loose. It monitors wake-up messages and adjust automatically to the wake-up periods of each of those non-listening devices so will alert through a central root device if any of your battery devices misses a wake-up. It also has many other features but in it's simplest form it does what you are asking about.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...al-description

Steve

Comment

I detailed a simple method in post #72 here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...56#post1293756

(and that thread has a number of other methods that people use).

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
            You could give my SDJ-Health plug-in a try...
            Thank you Steve. I have SDJ-Health installed since beginning of my HS experiment. I don't exactly know what and how exactly does it work, so I never took it seriously enough. I will give it a closer look now.

Thank you

Br,
            Dali

Comment

Thank you Steve. I have SDJ-Health installed since beginning of my HS experiment. I don't exactly know what and how exactly does it work, so I never took it seriously enough. I will give it a closer look now.
              If you have any questions or need any help post in the sub forum and I will do my best to help.

Steve

Comment

Will ask Steve for sure. Thank you SO MUCH!

So in theory. If I set all battery device wake up to 55min and set SDJ-Health MonitorActivity to 3 hours. That would alert me if a device misses 3 wake up messages? Is that correct

Thank you

Br,
                Dali

Comment

Will ask Steve for sure. Thank you SO MUCH!

So in theory. If I set all battery device wake up to 55min and set SDJ-Health MonitorActivity to 3 hours. That would alert me if a device misses 3 wake up messages? Is that correct
                  Your complicating it Start simple leaving everything at the default settings.

For non-listening Z-Wave devices you don't need to monitor activity or poll devices the plug-in will detect the devices automatically as they wake-up. No need to set devices to specific wake-up intervals the plug-in will adjust to each devices wake-up interval as they happen and report if they miss.

The other monitoring methods (Heartbeats, Polling, Activity) are for other types of devices that don't have a wake-up interval. They need to be selected manually.

The only thing to make sure you do is to check that ‘Log Poll and Wake-up Messages’ is checked in ‘Plugins>Z-Wave>Z-Wave Network and Options’. Then be patient as the devices won't be discovered until they wake-up and the wake-up intervals won't be know until they wake-up a second time.

You will probably want to then setup a couple of events triggered by the single SDJ-Health root device if you want to be alerted and receive reports by pushover and/or email.

It's all explained in the guide but ask if anything is not clear.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...j/104921-guide

It's probably best to start a new thread in the SDJ-Health sub forum if you have any questions because then I will be notified.

Steve

Comment

Thank you Steve.

Will continue in sub forum.

Br,
                    Dali

Comment

1. Open Settings.
                      2. Click on Devices.
                      3. Click on Bluetooth & other devices.
                      4. Under “Mouse, keyboard, & pen,” you'll see a battery percentage indicator on the right side. Bluetooth battery level status.
                      I hope this information helps!
                      Regards,
                      Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                        My battery devices (Fibaro PIR sensors and Oregon weather sensors) all show up various alarm conditions if either the battery is below a certain level or if they enter other 'fail' conditions (depends upon the device I think). I also have events monitoring certain devices that send me an email or 'Pushover' message if they haven't reported for 'n' minutes/hours.
                        how do you do that? If it doesn’t report in say 24 hours ?

Comment

Working...
                        X