Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network POE Thermometer with integration with HS3

Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone is aware about a POE temperature reading device that can be integrated (monitored) with Homeseer.

I am know there are several brands that have their own "http" or custom software to read the temps. I am looking for something that has integration to HS3.

I want to monitor many locations (rooms) and all through the network, not wireless, not z-wave, etc. Price is not a concern for what I need it.

sample IP POE Monitoring devices:

https://www.amazon.com/IT-Watchdogs-.../dp/B00WOTG9C8

The IT-watchdogs support SNMP protocol to read the data but no idea if this can be read by a HS3 plugin.

http://www.networktechinc.com/enviro...onitor-2d.html

Thanks for your help

Chris

Why don't you use an ecobee thermostat? HS can read it's temps, and you can power it via a CAT5 wire (though not ethernet POE)... You just need a 24V supply and feed it power like a thermostat.

thx
    mike

Comment

Ecobee also has the ability to use multiple remote thermostats in different locations and use one as the controlling unit based on a schedule. So for instance after 10 pm the master bedroom thermostat controls the HVAC.
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Hi,

So I already have a zwave thermostat which works in my home, I want to put these devices in an office location so would prefer to have a wired 100% reliable solution AND then I will use some units in the house to monitor some temps.

I am trying to use these POE devices guess two birds with one stone

Thanks
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by clafa View Post
          Hi,

So I already have a zwave thermostat which works in my home, I want to put these devices in an office location so would prefer to have a wired 100% reliable solution AND then I will use some units in the house to monitor some temps.

I am trying to use these POE devices guess two birds with one stone

Thanks
          Chris
          I have used EDS OneWire servers for 5 years. They support up to 23 DS18B20 sensors per unit. They connect to HS by Ethernet or WiFi and UltraJones’ Ultra1Wire3 plug-in. The sensors are inexpensive and hardwired to the server. The wiring loops can be up to 1000 feet and the 23 sensors connect by a single 3 conductor wire (I used 4 conductor twisted pair cable). I have 3 of the servers and monitor about 50 different sensors. It has been rock solid reliable and the sensors tend to be reasonably (within +- 1/2 degree) accurate.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Here too have been using 1-Wire sensors since late 1990's. First weather station was an AAG 1-Wire device.

Been transitioning my old 1-wire networks over modded firmware WiFi devices which act as mini temperature hubs and utilize MQTT.

Been doing baby steps in this endeavor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wifi-1wire.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.0 KB ID:	1353474

This is a garage temperature graph from a combo GDO WiFi button with analog sensors on the garage door.

Click image for larger version  Name:	comboGDO.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.9 KB ID:	1353475

A few years ago rebuilt a server room and purchased said device mentioned above (with IP cameras and sensors) to monitor the room. Put the 3 CRAC units / UPS room on the internet at the time. Total spend at the time was a bit less than 800k.

The IT-Watchdog worked well for me.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              I have used EDS OneWire servers for 5 years. They support up to 23 DS18B20 sensors per unit. They connect to HS by Ethernet or WiFi and UltraJones’ Ultra1Wire3 plug-in. The sensors are inexpensive and hardwired to the server. The wiring loops can be up to 1000 feet and the 23 sensors connect by a single 3 conductor wire (I used 4 conductor twisted pair cable). I have 3 of the servers and monitor about 50 different sensors. It has been rock solid reliable and the sensors tend to be reasonably (within +- 1/2 degree) accurate.
              I have used this same setup - OWS + Ultra1Wire3 plug-in for a number of years. I use the temp sensors to monitor my underground pump house and other out buildings. The setup is simple and has been completely reliable. Because the temp probes are so cheap, I have redundant probes in the pump house since it is a critical operation for me. I use HS3 control the heating, and backup heating.

Barry

Comment

Thanks everyone, Onewire sensors will be,

Thanks again
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by clafa View Post
                  Thanks everyone, Onewire sensors will be,

Thanks again
                  Chris
                  I doubt you will be disappointed. They make it very easy to look at temperatures across a large number of devices. It also gives you the ability to look at these temperatures and compare them to other measurements to alert you of faults.

Here I have ambient temperatures, readings from our mini split air conditioners and some appliances. Monitoring the high and low gas lines, the return and outlet air and the ambient and exhaust of the outside units, it is easy to determine if a unit needs service.

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture1a.png Views:	0 Size:	139.9 KB ID:	1353611

We get notified if the freezers are not cold, or if the refrigerator is too warm or too cold. We had an instance where the refrigerator section froze all of our fresh food. Now we get a warning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture1b.png Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	1353612

The second chest freezer is not running, so it is at the temperature of the back porch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture2.png Views:	0 Size:	7.3 KB ID:	1353610

And here is my heating system. I can look at a zones valve status and at its temperatures as compared to the boiler temperatures and determine if a Zone valve is stuck or unresponsive. Our house has the bedrooms on cantilevers, so if I see the heating pipes getting too cold, due to lack of heat demand, I bump the valves for 60 seconds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture.png Views:	0 Size:	137.3 KB ID:	1353609

Here is a group of sensors that are all outside at my two mini split outdoor units. The units are idle now. You can see that the probes are reasonably consistent.

Click image for larger version  Name:	capture1.png Views:	0 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	1353613
                  The temperatures update about once a minute and are very reliable. This and the Brultech GEM are the two most valuable tools I have in my system. I wrote about it here, almost 6 years ago.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                  X