Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a backup system/computer

Hello all,

I am thinking of using another of my computers in the house as backup for homeseer. This should be: turn on an it works. (I am longer away from home and can not attend to any problems, my family is on their own and want to make it as easy as possible).

Should not be difficult I think;
    -install homeseer on the other computer , install the licence ( since Homeseer is not running at the same time I think this will be OK with the licensing!?).
    -copy the whole Homeseer directory from the normall computer to the backup computer.
    -when needed , plugin the Zwave stick and run Homeseer. ( the only think which needs changing is most likely the com port for the zwave stick).

Does anyone foresee issues with this setup?

To make it even better/easier; I am thinking of using a raspberry Pi with the Zwave stick like in this thread:
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ce-setup-guide

I am having one of these at my gate and it is working flawlessly for a month now.
    The plan is to install a second one , but this time as my main controller. When something is wrong with the "main" computer , turn it off and start Homeseer on the other machine , this should pickup the "remote" Zwave Ethernet controller automatically ....... and back in business.

Does anyone one foresee any issue with this setup?

BUT! If I go for this setup (whicj I prefer) with the "remote" Zwave ethernet controller. How do I migrate this from being on a com port to an "ethernet Interface":
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-17 23_11_02-https___connected33.homeseer.com_ZWaveControllers.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1354930
    The Aetec gen 5 Zwave stick with 58 devices and about 200 events using those devices will go to a raspberyy pi and will be used as an ethernet interface in Homeseer.
    If I import all the devices from my Aetec gen 5 Zwave stick ( when connected to the raspberry pi) will all the names be the same as now , and all my events still work? ( is this called the mapping between the zwave stick and homeseer devices?)

Thanks,
    Cor

I have my HS3 system running on a Raspberry Pi 4 with another Pi 4 ready as fallback. Every couple of weeks, I clone the sd card, reboot the system with the cloned sd card (to make sure it works) and then store the 'live' card as a backup. I also get HS to automatically backup the Config on a daily basis. Once a month I put the newly cloned sd card into the 2nd Raspberry Pi, switch over my Aeotec Zwave stick (and a RFXCOM device) and restart that as the live system. In that way I always have a clone of the system that is not more than 2 weeks old and by alternating between the 2 RPIs I know that I have a set up that is quick and simple in the event of a catastrophic failure. I have documented this in great detail for my wife (who is not familiar with Linux) so that if needs must she can implement a recovery.

Comment

I have a similar situation. Needed a backup solution. Have two nearly identical laptops. One is HS. One runs our audio programing (long story). Both have two profiles, Rosie (HS3) and Audio. Log in as one and the machine becomes that machine. Both dump their important folders to a NAS. The startup routine on both will copy latest folders from the NAS to either rebuild themselves or change one into the other. If the HS3 machine dies, I boot up as Rosie on the audio laptop and it will become the HS3 machine as of the last backup. CURRENTLY have to swap machines into respective docking stations as I still have some direct attached devices not on the LAN yet. It is not a perfect solution as the config and DB can be nearly 24 hours old. BUT, all the family has to do it is shutdown the remaining machine, physically swap machines in their docs, and log in as Rosie. In about 10 minutes, everything is back to normal. We have practiced it a few times, but never had a real situation to do it.

Comment

Working...
      X