HS3 on Linux/RPi - Grinding to a halt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 on Linux/RPi - Grinding to a halt

I'm running HS3 on a RPi 3B on Linux. It has always performed perfectly, providing instant access to anything and everything whether it's the mobile app or the web interface.
    Lately, it has all but ground to a complete halt. Things take forever to load, and trying to pull up MyHS remotely often results in a timeout. I've only had router issues lately - no hardware problems. It's all running off an SD Card.

Regarding the router issues - my router has been throttling anything android or iOS, and i needed to change the firmware to fix it. I backed up my router settings, did a factory reset and upgraded the firmware (which required changing the wifi settings on my RPi - the first time i noticed the system was slow), it was very unstable and would need a hard reset daily, so I downgraded the firmware and reloaded the old settings. Everything on my network came back, but my HS was still incredibly slow. I decided to bypass the wifi by connecting an ethernet cable to my RPi, and the router shows it only has a wired connection, but everything is still incredibly slow. I'm not sure if the slowness pre-dates the router issues.

To be clear, i'm MUCH more comfortable with windows than Linux, so I'm not entirely sure how to troubleshoot the machine itself... if anyone could assist it would be much appreciated. Otherwise - has this happened to anyone else? Is this a known issue? Is it possible the HS folk are messing around behind the scenes while they try to upgrade to HS4?

Try running htop (or top if htop not installed). These are somewhat analogous to Windows Task Manager, can help identify any processes that are consuming an inordinate amount of resources.

Comment

Hm - is there even a fix for it?
      I get constant timeouts trying to pull up my logs so I'll have to connect to the machine when i get home tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by devanb
        I am running on raspberry pi 4 and am getting "Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting re re-connection" every 10 to 20 minutes. Check your homeseer log and see if it's the same issue. This started happening in the past few days.
        That issue has been happening for more than a YEAR! It's not new and not limited to HS3 on rPi.

Comment

Alright, here's what i'm getting in my log every 3-5 minutes:
          Jan-21 5:56:50 PM Log Error <######> failed to be deleted from the logging database - check the log for details or restart HS3 to attempt to resolve this issue.
          Jan-21 5:56:50 PM Error Delete (Log/Date) Error: database disk image is malformed database disk image is malformed
          <######> is an ever-changing 6-digit number

Based on a quick google search i guess i will have to get onto the machine and change the LSD file to another extension and restart homeseer.

Comment

That should do it. I had to do it like 3 times in 2.5 years

Comment

Curiously what version of HS3 are you running, what version of Raspbian and Mono do you have installed.

Comment

Can anyone tell me how to rename the file?
                I feel like a doofus for even asking but I don't seem to have permissions to change anything.

I'm running raspbian gnu/Linux 10 (buster)
                Mono is 6.0.0.334

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Comment

ssh to the RPi and cd to the HomeSeer directory.

1 - shut down the Homeseer application via the web interface
                  1 - ssh username@zee_ip
                  2 - cd /usr/local/HomeSeer
                  3 - sudo mv name_of_file new_name_of_file

BTW sudo gives you root access. You have to know the password for username you are using.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Ahhhh terrific, thank you!

Renamed the log file, rebooted, and it's already back to its snappy old self!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Comment

Good news guitarchitect!!!

You can do the same in Windows using WinSCP which is a file explorer for Linux.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                      X