Computer Virus Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Virus Advice Needed

I bought a new mini PC from what seemed to be a reputable seller on Amazon with Windows 10 Pro installed for running Plex and/or HomeSeer. First thing I did was to scan for malware and it found quite a bit, see attachments.

I used MalwareBytes to identify and remove but some of it appeared to reinstall several times. The files are currently in quarantine and have not reinstalled since. Advice on line ranges from use our special tool (hello more malware) to reinstalling the OS which was recommended by Microsoft. According to post from Microsoft to another user, the OS product key can be found in Bios for reinstall. I was not provided with a key but it says licensed (bulk).

The computer was all setup with a local login before I received it. I have removed one program winrar as it was displaying in Chinese and replaced it with zip7. I don't see any other odd programs.

Should I try to reinstall OS using key in Bios? Do I need to buy a new license? Can I rely on MalwareBytes to clean it up or are there other risks it may not be picking up?
    Attached Files

seemed to be a reputable seller on Amazon with Windows 10 Pro installed

This person is not a reputable seller and sold you a pirated copy of Windows 10 Pro with your new PC.

Google "autoKMS".

HackTool:Win32/AutoKMS
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I was not sure if bulk installs were allowed under some license. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Save yourself a lot of time and trouble! Buy a new license and start from scratch. You could spend hours of time trying to fix the current install and then you would never really know if it was completely fixed. Start from scratch. Chalk this one up to a bad seller. Never think about it again.

Comment

MS doesn't sell bulk licenses to many people, so just that is a big warning.

Whatever you do, format the HDD before starting an install. You DO NOT want the install program to find a usable partition.
          As it is it's bloody poison.

Also, I hope you added a negative review.

Comment

I am thinking you still can get a free Windows 10 upgrade from Microsoft with a Windows 7 license.

See here:

How to Get Windows 10 for Free (or Under $30)

Last year I got MS Email from my alma mater, signed up with book store and got a Windows 10 license for free. Office is also free.

I graduated from my University when before the Internet / email. I get a monthly magazine / newsletter and in it was the email stuff for Alma Mater folks. I wrote to them and got the email address.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Or you could save a lot time and trouble and install Ubuntu or one of the other Linux variants. Cut the cord and set yourself free.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I installed a fresh Windows 10 operating system downloaded direct from the Microsoft site. I had a little trouble due to the attached error but was able to resolve by booting in UEFI mode and then removing all partitions. I will buy a new Windows 10 Pro key.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gadgetman! View Post
                  Whatever you do, format the HDD before starting an install. You DO NOT want the install program to find a usable partition.
                  As it is it's bloody poison.
                  I hope that removing all of the partitions and then installing Windows in UEFI mode was sufficient. I thought that process reformatted but if there is anything else I need to do for a clean start I want to do it now before getting too deep into my rebuild.

Comment

As a former Microsoft employee, thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X