Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor Large Visual display using light stripes WS2812B and Tasmota enabled ESP8266

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    1. Don't know what you mean by a complex procedure. Plug in a USB cable to you computer and the ESP8266 such as Wemos Mini or NodeMCU. Use one of of the many ESP8266 flashers that are freely available. I happen to use the one in the ESP Easy mega distribution. They are all about the same where you tell it where the binary file is and click the Flash button.

Sorry. I have to improve my Google search skills. I found a very complex tool by the maker of ESP Espressif when I was searching for .bin flashing. I'll gladly adopt a simple tool if one is available.

Comment

You are not willing to pay for the sign that fits your needs so you need to build your own.
      I'd rather pay for a ready made solution but I can't find one. Many products available out there but they all are closed systems that require manual entry of the message and no way to open them for dynamic message display from HS3. The thread about it sits here on this forum for a year now and none of our fellow members could find one either excluding one proposal for a commercial sign that costs well into the 4 digits $$$$. No, I'm not willing to pay 4 digits amount for a sign. With this said you're correct, the DIY is the only option at this point.

Comment

For the flasher the latest one I have seen, but have not used myself, is Tamotizer https://github.com/tasmota/tasmotizer. There are YouTube videos also on its use such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UnI6cnzF3k

For the sign itself I have provided a good start for DIY. I built two different signs and set it up so that all the user configuration to build one vs the other is in user_config.h. I did not expand beyond a single font, but clearly other fonts are available so just dig in as I did to learn what you need to accomplish your objective. I also tried to do it with ESP32 but the RTOS gets in the way of the precise timing needed for WS2812B. If you are going the DIY route you need to get you hands dirty and when all is done you will have learned something and have a sign the suit your needs. You will also be in a position to make it fit your changed need in the future.

Comment

For the flasher the latest one I have seen, but have not used myself, is Tamotizer https://github.com/tasmota/tasmotizer. There are YouTube videos also on its use such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UnI6cnzF3k
          Hello,
          I think this is what you're looking for, LED Light Bars - Under Cabinet LED. The main thing to look out for is the color temperature.Bestledadviser.com can provide some useful information about LED Lights to come in warm or cool white as standard, so make sure you're picking the right one.

Comment

Use one of of the many ESP8266 flashers that are freely available. I happen to use the one in the ESP Easy mega distribution. They are all about the same where you tell it where the binary file is and click the Flash button.
            Michael McSharry

Hi Michael,

I have ESP8266 firmware (size about 600K ) that runs nicely in several ESP8266 boards when installed OTA. Trying to put it in cheap Sonoff relay boards that have 1 M of memory only. OTA won't work because it needs twice as much memory as the firmware is to do OTA. Trying to flash the same .bin file as you describe above. It would flash but will not work after that. Tried two different flashers one as yours ESPeasy mega distribution and the other one is from NODEMCU. Have you experienced something like that and what is the solution?

Thanks
            risquare

Comment

Working...
            X