Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want a smart plug to turn on every day when my alarm goes off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a smart plug to turn on every day when my alarm goes off.

I wake up at different times each day which is why a regular event wont work.

What is the best way to have my smart plug turn on when my alarm goes off?
    Is there a way to sync an alarm and my smart plug with home seer?

What it's your alarm? A digital clock, wind up bedside clock, app on a phone (and phone type), etc.

Also, are you willing to do a DIY item such as code a microcomputer?

Willing to buy a new alarm clock? I have no personal knowledge of these but some are available:
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Do you use Google calendar?
      Could you use HS as your alarm? (Have HS turn on a light, play a sound, etc.?)
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Right now I use the alarm on my phone.

I'd like to keep using my phone and not an actual alarm clock unless that is the only option.

I don't mind DIYing something so long as it's within my skill set.

I don't use google calendar, but I am open to the idea.
        What do you suggest?

Comment

i'm not an expert here, but you should be able to do what you want with the Tasker app on your phone and the Tasker PI for homeseer.

Comment

Do you use an Android phone or iPhone?

Using the Google Calendar plug-in you can have a calendar item be your alarm as opposed to a phone alarm by using the notification. The plug-in can them initiate an Event to turn in the plug.

As mentioned, Tasker is an option but I believe it is not available on an iPhone. I may be won't on that but know it was not when I used it. That said, if you are using an Android phone you could also use Google Assistant to control the plug either directly or via HomeSeer, depending on the plug itself.

I cannot answer to options for an iPhone. Maybe you can install Google Home or a companion app for Alexa and do something?
            Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            1070 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            104 Events

Comment

I am using Google Calendar(like Uncle Michael is suggesting) on my Iphone, syncing with the Iphone Calendar. No issues. Once per evening I run a script that reads the calendar (created a separated calendar in Google called "Wake Up"). Based on the time of this calendar item, I create an time event that starts the heater (based on temperature outside 10 minutes to 60 minutes before the alarm will go off). 10 minutes before alarm time the led strip in the bedroom will start go brighter step by step..
              At alarm time it will start my Sonos music and switch the light on, with a flicker effect trying to really wake us up.

In this sequence there is absolutely no chalenge to do anything else, like controlling a smart plug.
              So yes, this is possible easyly.

Wim
              -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
                Do you use an Android phone or iPhone?

Using the Google Calendar plug-in you can have a calendar item be your alarm as opposed to a phone alarm by using the notification. The plug-in can them initiate an Event to turn in the plug.

As mentioned, Tasker is an option but I believe it is not available on an iPhone. I may be won't on that but know it was not when I used it. That said, if you are using an Android phone you could also use Google Assistant to control the plug either directly or via HomeSeer, depending on the plug itself.

I cannot answer to options for an iPhone. Maybe you can install Google Home or a companion app for Alexa and do something?
                I have android.

Will google Calendar also set off an alarm on my phone?

Is this the one you are referring to?
                https://shop.homeseer.com/products/a...lug-in-for-hs3

Any options to not spend any money?

I maybe could automate something on my phone because I have the home seer app on my phone.

Comment

Yes. That is the plug-in we referred to for triggering events based on Google Calendar items. It accesses the calendar associated with your Gmail account. It will not directly change any notification method on your phone. This is handled by the app you use on your phone to access the calendar. Using the Google app my Pixel can pay a sounds notification. For some this is the same as an alarm for others it may not be as there may be no easy Snooze function.

There are a couple phone apps which appears to synch your phone's alarm with a calendar item. This is the first one which comes up in the app store that is not a paid ad. I have not tried any.

HomeSeer on your phone will not automate any connections between items on your phone and devices controlled by HomeSeer. It is just a remote control for items in HomeSeer.

There is an interesting Android app that I just found, Broadcast to MQTT, which apparently sends MQTT topics based on Android Intents. The difficulty is determining the way to grab the intent and is based on the app. I have not been able to get it to send a topic outside the send test button yet but in the is 30 minutes have learned a lot about Sbarro's Intents and app notifications. Your alarm clock on your phone could be different from one of the preconfigured ones. It would require using one of the free MQTT plugins and an Event in HomeSeer to at least filter on a time range, unless you only use the alarms for wakeup.

Another option is to connect HomeSeer with Google Assistant and use a Google Assistant Routine as party of your alarm but it runs after you Dismiss the alarms on my Pixel stock alarms. This is fine if you want the light on to see but not if you want it coming on as party if the alarm to wake you before you dismiss the alarm.

​​​​​​For ease of use I still suggest the Google Calendar plug-in. Yes, there is a fee, but with everything you can do I feel it is a good deal. I use it to override my thermostat while in vacation, for instance. All I do is create a calendar item called Vacation.
                  ​​​​​​​
                  Karl S
                  HS4Pro on Windows 10
                  1070 Devices
                  56 Z-Wave Nodes
                  104 Events

Comment

Apparently Tasker can also send MQTT topics with an add-on to t phone app. So Tasker with the paid plugin or via MQTT is another option. Probably better than the Broadcast to MQTT option as that has little development and apparently the Android Intents sometimes change with different versions of Android.
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events

Comment

Interesting.

What about a smart alarm? Any for around 40?

I will research your suggestions more and try to find one that works.

Thank you for your help!

Comment

No idea. I would be doing a web search for any smart alarm clocks out there.
                        Karl S
                        HS4Pro on Windows 10
                        1070 Devices
                        56 Z-Wave Nodes
                        104 Events

Comment

Working...
                        X