Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will user selectable NTP be available in HS4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will user selectable NTP be available in HS4?

Will user's be permitted to select their own NTP (Network Time Protocol) in the HS4 update?

NTP can be a serious threat vector, and I would prefer to designate a trusted network time server -- instead of having one chosen for me (particularly in a foreign country)... for safety and integrity of the network. Even the cheapest routers allow the user to use their own NTP choice, like public NIST servers, maintained by the U.S. government.

And for those of us that have access to a GPS network time server inside of our firewall, this would be appreciated.

I am not aware of where in HomeSeer you are setting up an NTP server. Can you please provide an example?

HomeSeer runs on Linux and Windows, both of witch allow you to setup the NTP server you wish to use in the OS. HomeSeer just uses the NTP server you setup in the OS so there is no need to configure the NTP server in HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by nesnet View Post
      Will user's be permitted to select their own NTP (Network Time Protocol) in the HS4 update?

NTP can be a serious threat vector, and I would prefer to designate a trusted network time server -- instead of having one chosen for me (particularly in a foreign country)... for safety and integrity of the network. Even the cheapest routers allow the user to use their own NTP choice, like public NIST servers, maintained by the U.S. government.

And for those of us that have access to a GPS network time server inside of our firewall, this would be appreciated.
      NTP is defined by the OS not by HS. This is up to you to configure if you want it changed.

Comment

Both responses have answered my question. I was under the wrong assumption... that HS3 was going out to an offsite time server for NTP, and stand corrected that it pulls time from the local PC. Thanks to both of you for explaining this issue.

Comment

Working...
        X