Suggestions for zwave wall plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for zwave wall plugs

I would like some suggestions for zwave wall plugs. I would also like them to be repeaters. Any suggestions that work well with Homeseer? What about zigbee? Does Homeseer work with zigbee?

I use Neo and Zooz. Both give Volts, Amps, Watts and KwH. HS3 not so good with zigbee. Don't know about HS4.

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
      I would like some suggestions for zwave wall plugs. I would also like them to be repeaters. Any suggestions that work well with Homeseer? What about zigbee? Does Homeseer work with zigbee?
      By wall plug do you mean a replacement receptacle or a device that plugs into the existing wall receptacle? There are many products like this.

HomeSeer does work with Zigbee.

Comment

A device that plugs into a receptacle and supports zwave or Zigbee. I understand that Homeseer has plugins for Hue and some other light bulbs that are zigbee but I can't seem to find anything else that supports other zigbee devices, ie: motion sensors, plugs, etc.

Comment

cowinger I am replacing a zooz plug that fried. It looked very similar to the NEO that you mention. This is the second zooz plug that has fried. A little reluctant to use any others that look the same.

Comment

The Zooz/Dome/Neo plug is rated for currents less than 5A, if I remember correctly. And I thought the ratings were way too optimistic based on what I saw when I opened one up.

oops, I've just looked up. They claim 13A. I'd say 1.3 is more realistic.

Look into Zooz ZEN15.
            The ZEN25 also seem to be okay but there are current limitations.
            Aeotec makes them too but for 2x price.

On the ZigBee side, (probably) the best and the cheapest is the Iris (Centralite) outlet.
            However, to use them, you'd need a 'real' ZigBee implementation. The HS ZigBee plugin is not.

Comment

The Sonoff S31 units are fairly impressive and provide energy monitoring. You can flash then with Tasmota if you wanted to go that route. 2 fit on a standard North America receptacle. Flashed with Tasmota you can use MQTT to control them. There are also ways to control them via HomeSeer without flashing.

I have and use z-wave units as well and find them great for extending your network to devices out of or at the edge of their range. I have used Wayne Dalton outdoor units which have been running for years. These are on about a 1' long cable so you can use 2 in a receptacle as well. I also have Everspring appliance modules and had an Everspring lamp module until I yard it for more amps than it was rated.

I also have two of the Greenwave z-wave power strips as well. Each plug can be controlled individually but not locally to the unit, only via HomeSeer or other hub commands. They also provide power usage per plug. These have worked well and at $20 US have been a good deal. There is newer firmware which I believe was discussed on this board.

Just watch the ratings on whatever you go with.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

It depends on what you are looking to do and how much you want to spend. If you want to energy monitor etc you need to spend a more and what devices mentioned before are good. I set up a system for someone that didn’t have much to spend so the cheap way was a Hubitat Hub ($75) and a bunch of Zigbee Iris Motion Sensors ($8 each all over EBay) at the time you needed the Hubitat Plugin ($39) but with HS4 it’s free. I also put in a SmartThings hub ($25) from EBay so they could use the Nest and iOS phone integration it was worth it. It connects through Hubitat’s HubConnect app so the plugin works jut fine. Now the draw back to all of that is the Homeseer connection to Hubitat is cloud so no local processing if the internet is down but hey how often does that happen, if in your area a lot then don’t go this way.

For Zwave switches in wall I use GE, Honeywell and Zooz. No preference but just price out all three before purchasing and go that way. For Zwave motion sensors I use Aeotec, Zooz and a few Fibaro (and some of the Iris Zigbee). I have some Zooz plug outlets and power strips but most are on TP-Link now (the Homeseer plug in has always been free) and they work well. Finally Use a Zwave GoControl garage door opener and your good to go.

For the first mentioned system the cheap way with a Homeseer Z-S2 was $825 all the bits and pieces (plus my $10,000 installation!! LOL). With that system they control almost every light is the house, lamps, garage door, sprinkler system (with Rachio Controller) etc. You can get away with not using Hubitat in the configuration in HS4 and just use SmartThings free plugin (you’ll get the Zigbee) but I like the Rachio integration they use even though Homeseer has a plugin for that. They were up and running in10 hours total.

So there are a hundreds of different ways to go. For me I have a lot more invested in the bits and pieces but I like to play. Either way the cheap way and my way have about the same down time which isn’t much, maybe a few hours in the last year.

Hope that helps.

Comment

cowinger I am replacing a zooz plug that fried. It looked very similar to the NEO that you mention. This is the second zooz plug that has fried. A little reluctant to use any others that look the same.
                  I guess we should have asked you what the load would be first. That would determine what device to use. I think zooz should maybe chime in about the Zooz devices and their current capabilities. The Zooz one I use is the ZEN06. I use it on a fan and have had no issues, but inrush current is very low. The neo outlets I use switch power to a wall wart so very little current there. I do use the ZEN15's on my garage opener motors and they are 1/2 hp. and no issues.

Comment

Bigstevep your setups sound very much like mine. I bit of everything. I have smartthings, hubitat and homeseer. However, I am waiting for HS4 to migrate everything over to homeseer. Had a lot of issues with hubitat crashing so not stable enough. I was using the hubitat plugin to get some wifi devices and iOS presence sensors into homeseer but then discovered that I can use piston in WebCore in ST to get the presence info into Homeseer and I can use locations, which is nice! Cuts out the hubitat middleman.

As for the plug, I required it for the TV so that I can determine power and have the lights (run from motion) stay on. I have replaced the zooz plug that fried with an aeotec ZW110 gen6. But I wanted to just have a few plugs to connect some lights and be repeaters to strengthen the zwave network. Unfortunately for us Canadians, everything is much more expensive than the US prices.

Are wifi devices recommended for use in Homeseer? Can they run natively or do you have to go through MQTT?

Comment

@pcgirl65 I haven't had any issues with Hubitat but yes I'm thinking about removing the middle man. I may keep it around for just a couple of devices to test but get rid of HubConnect. I also want to see how the HS4 ST plugin pans out, BTY you shouldn't need your presence piston with the ST plugin. Our phones here pulled over just fine with it.. Anyway so far so good but I haven't made any pistons yet to test.

For WiFi I use a lot of TP Link devices with the HS free plug. Very solid and they run locally so no cloud. I'm testing now with Tuya and the HS4 plugin however they are cloud based. They are low cost and plentiful so we'll see how the plugin and the devices work out. There are other HS plugins that handle the WiFi devices MQTT being one of them.

Comment

Well hopefully HS4 becomes a stable release soon! I am waiting to connect up my Hues, ST, Ecobee. I might look at some of the wifi devices also.

Comment

WiFi devices can be handled a couple different ways depending on the device. And some cannot be controlled at all. I have 2 units that I would have to desolder portions to flash. I am waiting for someone to figure out a better way on those or just throw away the $12 US I spent and get Sonoff S31's instead where I want to see power consumption. Or other units. I do want a dimming lamp module like unit or two so I think I have to go z-wave for that..

As I may have mentioned earlier, if you need to improve your Z-Wave network for current devices, get a couple Z-Wave units as these work really well for that. I have pluggeed them in and not used them just to extend the network before I had all these z-wave wall switches.
                          Karl S
                          HS4Pro on Windows 10
                          1070 Devices
                          56 Z-Wave Nodes
                          104 Events
                          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Working...
                          X