• Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Chandelier light - need switch dimming advice/solution

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200219_075101.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1364225 Hey all... looking for some ideas here. Purchased this very cool chandelier for over our new dining room table. Has LED light strip on the top and bottom, and a small motion activated sensor on it that when you wave your hand, it will switch between top, bottom, both or off.

Since it's made to wire directly to 120v like a regular light, i figured it would work with a HD200 dimmer - but it wouldn't (and if fact burned it out when i tried). The manufacturer told me it "can't be dimmed"... but were nice enough to give me a replacement. I"m currently just using it with a HS200 to include it in my HA setup.

Alas, it's WAY to bright.... so i'm looking for ways to dim before my wife just goes and buys another light :-)

My uneducated guess is that his has something to do with the driver inside. I'm wondering if there is a different driver solution that would allow this to work with a HD200 dimmer, or something else i can do. Not too afraid to try to open it up as it's a sunk cost anyway.

The lights are not colored, so maybe i could change out the LED strips to RGBW, but in the end, i'm really hoping to have a wall dimmer for manual control as well.

thoughts/advice welcome!

I don't know a lot about LEDs and dimming technologies, but after going through a similar situation I learned that there are quite a few different possibilities. The strips could be 12VDC, 24VDC, 120VAC, etc. If you're up to the project, given how economical good quality LED tapes are these days I'd probably start over with new dimmable strips of your choice of color temp (or RGB).

edit: here's some info on DC vs AC LEDs that you might find helpful. https://www.derunledlights.com/the-d...-strip-lights/
    -Wade

Comment

Only thought is to bypass the control electronics and see if you can dim the LEDs. My guess is you burned out the control electronics when you used a dimmer. If it does burn out the light then your wife gets her way and buys another light. You win either way. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailJ View Post
        Only thought is to bypass all the electronics and see if you can dim the LEDs. My guess is you burned out the control electronics when you used a dimmer. If it does burn out the light then your wife gets her way and buys another light. You win either way. ;-)
        Well, if they're 12/24VDC LEDs and he bypasses the driver with 120VAC, it could be an interesting result. You'd definitely be right about needing a new fixture (or guts)!
        -Wade

Comment

Burning out the control Electronics, aka the little motion sensor that turns it on and off, actually makes more sense to me now that I think about it.

seems to me for a light fixture that is so small, they wouldn't use 120v.

If it is 12v, I wonder if I could use two micro RGB controllers connected to the same 12 volt same 12-volt Transformer.?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
            Burning out the control Electronics, aka the little motion sensor that turns it on and off, actually makes more sense to me now that I think about it.

seems to me for a light fixture that is so small, they wouldn't use 120v.

If it is 12v, I wonder if I could use two micro RGB controllers connected to the same 12 volt same 12-volt Transformer.?
            Won't be hard to figure out the voltage once you open the fixture. If it's DC then you'll find the driver (transformer). I was surprised to figure out two vanity fixtures I bought last year are 120V. They're smaller than your chandelier. Similar to this: https://kuzcolighting.com/product/vl62224-jane/

-Wade

Comment

Here's a bit more on AC vs DC LEDs. Don't know whether fixtures are headed more to AC or not.
              https://www.manufacturer.lighting/info/64/
              -Wade

Comment

If it was me, I would start over and replace the LED strip with a Hue Light strip (or something similiar), running on fixed 120 volt power. I would then use Hue control (through Homeseer) to turn on/off or dim the LED light strip. And I would then also have the additional benefit of changing the light color to suit the mood.

Comment

Working...
                X