Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know of a battery-powered, Z-wave, vibration sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of a battery-powered, Z-wave, vibration sensor?

Hi all,

I am in need of a battery-powered, Z-wave vibration sensor that will report when it turns on (senses vibration) and again when it turns off (vibration stops). The only thing I've seen so far is one from Monoprice, but the reviews are terrible, noting that the "on" and "off" triggers repeatedly "flip", making it unreliable. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I've seen some Zigbee stuff, but I need Z-wave, and battery-powered. Thanks.
    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

I have the Monoprice sensor. I use it to know whether or not a small basket has been moved. It works pretty well. It USED to be on my recliner and would trigger events if my recliner moved. The dogs would set it off when they jumped up on it. I've never noticed that it "flipped". I only trigger events when it is "on" and it has never failed as far as I know.

Comment

The fibaro Z-wave motion sensors have vibration detection build in.
      - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
      HSPro 3.5.0
      PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | RFXCOM | BLRadar | BLBackup

Comment

Thanks, to each of you. Will give one of these a try.
        Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
          I have the Monoprice sensor. I use it to know whether or not a small basket has been moved. It works pretty well. It USED to be on my recliner and would trigger events if my recliner moved. The dogs would set it off when they jumped up on it. I've never noticed that it "flipped". I only trigger events when it is "on" and it has never failed as far as I know.
          I have the Monoprice too, nice one

Comment

If you're comfortable with a soldering iron, could you not just take the reed switch out of a HS door sensor, and wire in one of those ball trapped in a cage switches (like https://www.amazon.com/Gikfun-Shakin.../dp/B00RGN0KY0) ... or a piezo element (like https://www.amazon.com/Luvay-12Pcs-P.../dp/B0775V78D1) which generates a small current when tapped/shaken, I'd suspect that would be enough to trigger the circuit.

Comment

Isn't there a z-wave door/window contact that has external contact points on it? (aeotec maybe?)
              I remember someone talking about using one to send contact output from dumb devices to HS.
              ouldn't you use one of those with a generic vibration sensor for am alarm system wired to it and maybe stuck together with double-sided tape?
              Not necessarily this one, but one like this one s an example.
              https://www.alarmgrid.com/products/honeywell-11

Just a thought of McGyvering something together.

Comment

Working...
              X