Local floor lamp control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local floor lamp control

I have a floor lamp (110v US based) that I would like to automate but also want manual override control capability. I saw some modules to wire into the lamp and provide touch capability for on/off/dim and am wondering if anyone is aware of a unit that could also be controlled via HomeSeer. Could be DIY, flash Tasmota, z-wave, or other but I do want it to stay as local control. A z-wave lamp module is out and do is one of those screw in units that goes between the bulb and socket as there isn't enough room under the shade. What's out there that I haven't been able to find?
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    242 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    37 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units 1 display

Like this?
    https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html
    Have you looked at the mcsMQTT plug-in?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

See the following forum thread that has some great ideas for table lamps that could easily be adapted to a floor lamp. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...cal-hs-control

Comment

The Sonoff switch is on/off only. For that route I would use a Sonoff Mini and write the lamp’s switch in. I really want to be able to dim the light and control the level manually and Ruth HomeSeer. As for MQTT, I use it for a few things and have 2 Sonoff Minis flashed with Tasmota.

Kesterf, that thread is interesting. I may end up with an Arduino based DIY solution. I'm going to keep looking for now, though.
        Karl S
        HS4Pro on Windows 10
        242 Devices
        56 Z-Wave Nodes
        37 Events

Comment

You can do dimmer control using Tasmota or other firmware. it is just a PWM setting and the dimmer control changes the duty cycle to effect brightness level. What I do not know is an easy way to use the manual dimmer that is on your lamp in parallel with the slider control from HS.

i do use the analog input with a light sensitive resistor to change the brightness of the LEDs of the sign based upon ambient light levels so that part is easy. What I have not seen is an easy way to tap into the triac dimmer control of your lamp as an input to the ESP8266 as this triac is at mains voltage levels and even getting the wiring pickoff would be a challenge.

Doing something like a smart plug would give you automated or local on/off control, albeit the local control is at the plug rather than at the lamp. Once on then you have local dimmer control.

Another approach I have used is that local control is via Alexa. In Tasmota I use the HUE emulation to provide the Alexa interface. We hardly ever use the HS interface for the light and just control it via voice.

Comment

I just gave up and have tablets running Imperihome on side tables or use Alexa. Honestly, with different events and that control, it is much less of a problem than I thought it would be...

Comment

I plugged my floor lamps into dimmer modules, then associated an Aspire Dimmer switch (RF9500AW) that is battery powered. Then mounted the switch in a spot that was most convenient for us. The switch controls 2 dimmer modules and works flawlessly. Homeseer controls the dimmer modules as well.

Comment

I find HomeSeer events to be just fine. Use Google home units for voice. Want true automation with WAF so I need to use the lamp's switch control. Lamp is currently a pull chain. 1 for each of 2 light bulbs An older metal base with stained glass shade. I think I'm going to figure out how to make an Arduino control for one bulb in combination with the pull chain. I can have it use MQTT. From am end user it needs to be simple and as possible and shouldn't change what someone walking in the house thinks it should do from looking at it. That is always my goal.
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                242 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                37 Events

Comment

I think I'm going to figure out how to make an Arduino control for one bulb in combination with the pull chain.
                  This is the standard configuration supported by Tasmota, ESPurna and likely others. Input for a switch and output to control the light. PWM for dimming if desired or just relay on/off. From my perspective it means that the switch in the lamp will not be used, but another switch added somewhere near the lamp.

Comment

I expect something similar to a Sonoff Mini with dimming capability and the pull connected to the Arduino as the switch is to a mini. I just need to figure out the dimming circuitry. A relay for on/off is easy.

Or... After starting this reply and thinking while typing...

Maybe I can replace the bulb with an LED I can control via low voltage on the Arduino side. Make a unit that screws into the socket and is powered through such and just use line voltage to power the Arduino. I could even use RGBW LEDs then.

Well, so much for plug and play and a near time solution. Time to add another project to the list...
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    242 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    37 Events

Comment

Originally posted by Kevb View Post
                      I plugged my floor lamps into dimmer modules, then associated an Aspire Dimmer switch (RF9500AW) that is battery powered. Then mounted the switch in a spot that was most convenient for us. The switch controls 2 dimmer modules and works flawlessly. Homeseer controls the dimmer modules as well.
                      Ah...clever and easy. And should work if HS is down. Not a great option for table lamps unless next to a wall where you can mount them or build a case to leave them next to the lamp. Something smaller like a lutron Pico would be perfect, but only works with lutrun. An Aeotec minimote might get you close as well, but ugly and hard to find these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

And should work if HS is down.
                        It does! Found this out when the brother in law watched the house when we were out of town. He shut down the HS PC to "save us on the electric bill"

Comment

Working...
                        X