Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help Migrating to New Controller (SEL to S6-PRO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Migrating to New Controller (SEL to S6-PRO)

I recently took advantage of the big sale, picking up one of the refurbished S6-PRO machines to upgrade my current SEL. S6 looked like it was brand new, no issue at all getting it set up, license added, etc.

The problems started when I tried to move the database from my SEL to the S6. I performed the following steps:
    • Did a Backup Config on the SEL from the Setup/General page. This completed successfully.
    • Did a Backup Config on the S6 from the Setup/General page (brand new clean copy). This completed successfully.
    • Installed each plug-in that I use onto the new S6, and disabled all of them.
    • Registered the licenses on the plug-ins on the S6.
    • Did a Restore Config of the data saved from the SEL, to the S6.
    • Changed the config ini to reflect the correct new IP address for the S6, and the correct port (I changed both with the new implementation so that I could keep the SEL online to refer to during the process). I had always left the SEL at port 80, but I wanted to change that for the new S6 for security reasons.
    • Disabled all plug-ins on the old SEL.
    • Rebooted the S6.
    • Enabled all of the plug-ins one by one on the S6, starting with Z-Wave.
    Everything looked good at this point. I could see in the logs that devices were sending data to the controller, events were firing, etc. Thought all was good until I started trying to control devices from the Home page for HS3. Many devices simply wouldn't do anything at all. I checked to make sure all of the interfaces (4 Z-Nets) connected correctly, and all did with the correct node counts for each Z-Net (I have a total of 183 nodes in my four networks).

Digging a little further into this, I found that some devices were working, and others weren't - this suggested to me that the overall setup on the S6 was correct, but something was wrong with the data that was restored.

In every case checked, where a device could no longer be controlled, I find the following message:

Error: Z-Wave device has empty ROOT object, it may have lost its reference to the actual Z-Wave device,
    try resetting the Z-Wave database from Z-Wave Config

Went to the Z-Wave Config page, hit the Reset Z-Wave Data button, and then restarted the Z-Wave interface. Logs showed that the nodes were rebuilt, but problem persisted.

What did I do wrong? Removing and re-adding the number of devices that have the error isn't really practical.

I also could not get the HSBuddy plug-in to ever complete initialization on the new S6, but that is probably a topic for that forum.

I am wondering if this has something to do with the fact that the SEL is Linux and the S6 Pro is Windopws.

You might check with HomeSeer support. Since you purchased a new S6 you are entitled to support.

Comment

Maybe try 'Fully Optimize a Network' (Z-Wave Controller page under 'Actions').

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
        Maybe try 'Fully Optimize a Network' (Z-Wave Controller page under 'Actions').
        I don't think the Fully Optimize a Network will work here, because something about the database didn't get copied over correctly it looks like. Those nodes are just no longer recognized. I can try it on the S6. The SEL is back online now and fully functional, so I can work with the S6 to figure this out with no danger to the home automation.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
          I am wondering if this has something to do with the fact that the SEL is Linux and the S6 Pro is Windopws.

You might check with HomeSeer support. Since you purchased a new S6 you are entitled to support.
          Thanks. Sent HS Support the information this afternoon.

Comment

Well, I got a little further with it tonight. Imported the database a couple of more times, and it looks like all of the nodes are functional. I didn't do anything differently I had done before, so not at all sure why this didn't work the first time.

Another problem has surfaced. Most of the events are corrupted on the new controller. The trigger or condition is missing on just about every event. This one is a deal-breaker for me if it can't be resolved. I have 901 events, and there is no way I am going to rewrite them all. The S6 will have to be boxed up and sent back if I can't import all my events and have them work correctly. Nothing specific in the logs that I can find; the triggers are just gone.

The closest thing I have found on the forums so far is this:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...y-action/page2

This is the same thing I am experiencing, but I am still on HS3 and have never attempted to upgrade to HS4. I am moving from an SEL (Linux) to an S6 (Windows), so this may be a similar cause.

Comment

This has to do with an incompatibility of an older version of mono.

On the SEL, go to Tools->Setup, Labs tab then Export Events. This creates file 'event.json' in the hs_root/html folder. (You can download it by entering SEL_ip_address/events.json).

Copy that file to the S6 hs_root/html folder. Go to the Labs tab and click Import Events.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                This has to do with an incompatibility of an older version of mono.

On the SEL, go to Tools->Setup, Labs tab then Export Events. This creates file 'event.json' in the hs_root/html folder. (You can download it by entering SEL_ip_address/events.json).

Copy that file to the S6 hs_root/html folder. Go to the Labs tab and click Import Events.
                I did that a little while ago. It didn't work. While it did seem to fix some of the problems with the triggers, now the events that use Easytrigger and Pushover have all their conditions screwed up. Neither plug-in seems to be working correctly at all. Some of their functions don't even show up in the event menus.

Now what I am getting is a flood of log entries for all the events that can't process correctly, because the data for the Pushover and EasyTrigger events are missing. Ended up completely stopping HS3 on the S6 because its just slamming the hard drive with continuous log flooding, even with all the plug ins completely disabled.

There HAS to be a better way to move from one controller than another. It's difficult to believe that no one has ever moved from an SEL to an S6. Years ago I moved from a Zee-S2 to the SEL, but that was pretty simple as I remember it. This has been a nightmare so far.

Comment

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
                  ...There HAS to be a better way to move from one controller than another. It's difficult to believe that no one has ever moved from an SEL to an S6. Years ago I moved from a Zee-S2 to the SEL, but that was pretty simple as I remember it. This has been a nightmare so far.
                  This does not surprise me. The Zee-S2 and SEL are both Linux based.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

This does not surprise me. The Zee-S2 and SEL are both Linux based.
                    I gave up. I have about $800 worth of S6 Pro and a Pro HS4 license gathering dust on the shelf, because I cannot move my existing network on the SEL (HS3) to the S6 (HS4). If I wasn't so heavily invested in Homeseer already, I would be moving my control elsewhere. It is simply inexcusable that HS sells the S6 to people that they know have SEL controllers (since they ask whenever you order anything) and don't validate that they cannot move from one to the other.

Comment

Working...
                    X