NVR with POE or without POE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVR with POE or without POE

I chose Dahua IPC-HDW5442TM-AS cameras to install due to their great low light capability.

I have a copy of Blue Iris and while I like it my r820 server issues currently are leading me to purchase a stand alone NVR

I wanted to get your feedback on NVR with POE ports built in and NVR without any camera ports .

the Dahua NVR5232-16P-4ks2e has 16 POE ports vs the NVR608-32-4KS2 has no camera ports only two Lan ports to your switch.

1) what advantage/disadvantage do you see using the NVR without any camera ports only lan Ports. in this arrangement the cameras would sit on a VLAN within your network. (I have several 48 port Unifi POE switches so this isn't a problem) DO you see a Lan port data transfer bottle neck with the 2 LAN connections.

2) Blue Iris, if you use the NVR608 where the cameras sit on your Vlan could Blue Iris talk separately to the cameras or the NVR ?
    I want the functionality of Blue Iris to interact with HomeSeer.

Devoir

Attached Files

My problem with my Zmodo NVR with POE ports was that it is proprietary and the cameras do not show up as being on the network. They work OK, but do not work at all with Blue Iris (that I know of).

So I bought a refurbished Lenovo Win 10 mini pc on ebay and put Blue Iris on it. 8GB, i7 with 500GB HD for $265. Works perfectly with other IP cameras I've bought both POE and not POE. Hopefully HS4 will have a friendlier camera feature than what I've seen in the beta.

Comment

racefern I like the idea of having the camera's on a vlan and a NVR dedicated, I'm hoping someone will chime in that blue Iris can talk to the cameras if they are on a vlan and play nice with the NVR

Comment

I guess there's no way to know except buy it and try it....

Devoir

Comment

I have a NVR without POE. The cameras work well, powered via POE switch. I can address the cameras individually via IP (of course) or the camera server - to see all connected cameras at once. For me, the NVR is mainly for 24x7 recording - currently, I store about 4 months worth of video - oldest data scrolls off, replaced by new.
          Iv'e never used Blue Iris. Don't know if this post is helpful.
          Let me know

Comment

Monk thanks for the feedback glad to see your system seems to be solid due to the dedicated NVR.

Devoir

Comment

Bit late to the party here but I figured I'd offer my opinion / experience.

I don't know what issues you're having with your server but I've had some issues on/off that was related to my (previous) cameras flooding the network so that (for example) DHCP requests drowned out, this despite having the cameras on a separate vLan and a dedicated NIC just for the cameras. Oddly enough 3 cameras worked fine adding a fourth (any of them, not a specific camera) killed the network.

Ultimately it was a setting in the cameras that triggered this behavior that got restored after a factory reset and I have since then changed camera brand, but also bought a small, unmanaged POE switch to keep things completely separate (needed a POE+ switch for the new cameras).

BlueIris is (was when I tested it about a year ago) a resource hog, so personally I would look at other options (then again, an R820 should handle that)
              I'm using XProtect from Milestone, it's a professional system but the nice thing is that it's Free for up to 8 cameras.
              HUGE install file, but once installed and running it has a very light weight footprint (assuming you let the cameras do the motion detection) and it is the best NVR I've tested/used,
              very fast when reviewing past footage, great API for integration. Only negative thing I have to say is that their mobile app is a bit slow.

According to the specs of the cameras you have a maximum bitrate of 8200kbps, so it'll take quite a few cameras to cap out a GBit port/connection.

Long story short, my recommendation would be to skip the stand-alone NVR, get the cameras on a dedicated switch and a dedicated NIC on your server, plus a less resource incentive NVR, like XProtect.

Comment

mr. Magoo thanks for your input and opinion gives me somthing to think about

I'm slowly working my way thru technical issues with this r820 I can't get it to load XCP-ng it just boots over and over again .. at the splash XCP-ng splash screen if I do an F2 breaking the boot I type menue.c32 then tab i edit and add noreboot it will stop rebooting but I don't get a successful install. I can't figure out why this server will not load an OS... I even purchased a new Raid controller PERC H710 not luck...

I've even posted on the XCP-ng forum and they have exhausted ideas on why this server will not load... it's almost like it's timing out and the software halts install.

I agree that Blue Iris is a hog.... I will have to take a look at the xProtect...

Devoir

Comment

i run a crappy samsung 8 cable nvr dvr or whatever its considered... while it isnt high quality.. i like that it just works. in my next house im going or was going ip cams... you can do 5mp cameras on cable which was my intent here..but i want to sell and move.

ill have to look at the ideas here again..long way to say..
                  subscribed
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                  X