Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zwave Repeater Plugs-Do they have to be on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zwave Repeater Plugs-Do they have to be on?

I am putting in some of the Haozee plugs to help with my zwave network. I am not going to be using the plugs at this time for anything other than repeaters. So, I am wondering if I have to actually have the switch set to on for them to be repeating or can the switch be off and they will still repeat?

It is unlikely that the little power button turns off the power to anything but the outlet on the plug. ASI think about it, if the power button turned off the entire device you would never be able to turn it on remotely.

Comment

Makes sense.

Comment

I'd run "Test connectivity" (in Z-Wave tab). If you happen to have Z-Seer+, you could go fancy and measure response times.

Comment

Because ZigBee and Z-Wave are two different wireless languages, a ZigBee device only acts as a repeater for other ZigBee devices; and a Z-Wave device only acts as a repeater for other Z-Wave devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Vit View Post
            I'd run "Test connectivity" (in Z-Wave tab). If you happen to have Z-Seer+, you could go fancy and measure response times.
            I turned the switches on the plugs off and ran the tests and they communicated so I guess they don’t need to be on.

Comment

yes, that's what I meant to say but was afraid
              The do communicate. However, my personal experience with them (Iris Plugs) was not that great. All my attempts to convince them to do anything useful failed.
              Strangely, the Zigbee repeaters make noticeable improvements to the mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post

I turned the switches on the plugs off and ran the tests and they communicated so I guess they don’t need to be on.
                If you think about it, everything should be on if it needed to be on to communicate. Automation would be useless then , and it would be costly in term of electricity

Comment

To make this more clear, the zwave ship inside the plug is always ‘’on’’ to be able to transmit signal . Whatever the on/off state of the plug

Comment

Working...
                  X