Jasco GE Enbrighten Quad Scene Remote 34176

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jasco GE Enbrighten Quad Scene Remote 34176

Jasco has released the 34172/34174/34176 wall remote. I have one and paired it to the network. It only added a "Jasco Generic Controller" device. Does anyone have experience or a step by step on how to program this to control HomeSeer scenes? Does this require a HomeSeer update to fully support it? Its a nice form factor for a portable remote.

maybe it is not supported my homeseer yet ? rjh

Comment

That would be perfect for my bedroom if it is supported. I have sent a request to Jasco, if they are able to send a unit to HomeSeer. Maybe you can do the same

Comment

I just purchased three of these units thinking they would work with Homeseer. I too am only getting a "Jasco Generic Controller" device in Homeseer. Any updates on if these will be supported in Homeseer?

Comment

This may not help, but I am able to get an older hand held GE remote to kind of work with Homeseer. After "including" the remote into Homeseer (which informs the GE remote of the ZWave map), I manually (on the remote) programmed the buttons to turn on or off devices. I never could get it to trigger events though.

Comment

(Bump) I have the single controller version of this, and aa6vh is exactly right. You program the devices you want to control into the controller itself, after having added the controller to HomeSeer. An odd thing I noticed is that the status report functionality of the device you control is lost after you associate it with the controller... I’m not sure why.

Comment

mikedr , I just installed this (the 34172-1 "Solo" model) and I found that I'm still able to refer to the status report of the controlled device (controlling a simple Leviton appliance outlet)...

Just FYI.

EDIT: Ah, I see in the other thread you posted to about this that you've found the status working, but it's delayed. I see the same thing.

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
              (Bump) I have the single controller version of this, and aa6vh is exactly right. You program the devices you want to control into the controller itself, after having added the controller to HomeSeer. An odd thing I noticed is that the status report functionality of the device you control is lost after you associate it with the controller... I’m not sure why.

Comment

I have a 34174 switch, and I'm wondering what the purpose of adding this switch to my Homeseer hub is (versus having the switch control my devices directly). In both cases, you must program this switch to the devices directly (the instructions for doing this are, in fact, identical), and it seems that while you can reference this switch in a Homeseer event, you can only test if it's set to "a custom value or value range of," "(Set to 'Any Value')," or "An Invalid or Error State," and I can't seem to trigger an event by any of these.

I also have a related question. I purchased this switch to control a GE Z-Wave Plug-In Smart Dimmer that I purchased from Jasco, and this works great. I can turn my lamp on/off and dim/brighten it nicely. I also paired the second module in this switch with one of my hard-wired Z-Wave dimmers, and that works perfectly too. So, say I wanted to control another lamp plugged into a GE Z-Wave Plug-In Smart Dimmer with a hard wired Z-Wave dimmer--how would I do that? Link the two devices in Homeseer, perhaps?

Comment

Spent an hour or so today trying to find a replacement for an old Intermatic HA09 wand Z-Wave remote, and am coming up empty. The GE Enbrighten 34176 would do fine (bit on the small side for my tastes). But the lack of successful responses is a downer.
                  I'm OK with manually pairing the remote to the selected switches.

It's rather strange that this basic use-case is so poorly supported by the industry. A remote that can speak directly to the hub and trigger scenes or be associated to a specific device or group seems like it would be a good seller.

The goal of "Pick up a remote, hit one button, and stuff happens" is what I'm going for.

I have tablets, I have a smartphone, and even have a top-of-the-line Harmony system integrated with HS3, but they all require multiple steps just to turn off the damn lights.

Comment

Originally posted by JonFo View Post
                    It's rather strange that this basic use-case is so poorly supported by the industry. A remote that can speak directly to the hub and trigger scenes or be associated to a specific device or group seems like it would be a good seller.

The goal of "Pick up a remote, hit one button, and stuff happens" is what I'm going for.

I have tablets, I have a smartphone, and even have a top-of-the-line Harmony system integrated with HS3, but they all require multiple steps just to turn off the damn lights.
                    Yeah, I started with X-10 switches wayyy back, and of course, the only way to control them was via the AC-powered or battery-powered controls. (Don't get me started on the debacle of migrating from there to Insteon). So naturally, like you, I expected to see plenty of Z-Wave remotes for sale.

I think the Z-Wave consumer market is getting overwhelmed by competition from cheap off-brand WiFi switches and bulbs. The Z-Wave licensing fees and certification result in a less-competitive stance. The other main factor is increasing consumer acceptance of voice control of IoT stuff. Once you get it working, there's no going back to getting off your lazy butt to press a button. This becomes painfully apparent to me, with the current problems with Google Home<-->HS integration, and it prompted a web search for controllers. All I could find were some expensive Z-Wave buttons, or having to integrate other technology products, like Shelly.

I doubt there will be more Z-Wave remote controls developed, especially since any Android or iOS device can be a remote, either by running the HS apps or via the Google Home/Alexa integrations. In conclusion, having a single-purpose remote control is a relic of our baby-boomer past.

Comment

JonFo, I share your frustration and surprise at the lack of availability of such a simple device. I have a few SmartThings Buttons that do just this, but they appear to no longer be available (they're Zigbee, and they work perfectly with HS4). In any event, the SmartThings Button isn't well suited to a device that supports dimming like the Enbrighten 3417x switches are. And I find the explanation as to how the 3417x works with a home automation hub to be mostly unintelligible.

Comment

The Zooz ZEN34 is a much better choice with the same form factor as the GE (Jasco) Scene Remotes. It will even fit perfectly in the nifty Magnetic Remote Stand that Jasco sells (https://byjasco.com/magnetic-remote-stand). Check it out at https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pro...attery-powered.

Comment

Working...
                        X