Motion event help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion event help

It's amazing what you forget when you haven't been building events for awhile.

Building a new HSTouch interface has caused me to dive into some old events that i suddenly can't remember how to update, and my searches are fruitless. Can someone please just remind me....

I have an event that when i turn on a light, it turns off after xx minutes if no motion detected.

the issue is, if i turn on that light remotely (whereas no motion for some time in the actual physical space of the light), the event rule kicks off and turns off the light immediately.

What the heck did i forget?

It would probably be easier to help you if you could post the event. It seems like the event is checking to see if the light is on? Assuming that, what if the event just blindly sends an off to the light exactly xx minutes after no motion? That's how I have all of my motion off events working. A lot of times there is an off sent to a light that is already off, but that's no big deal. The disadvantage would be that in your case, if you turn the light on remotely, it won't go off until you turn it off or until xx minutes after someone goes past the motion detector.

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
      It would probably be easier to help you if you could post the event. It seems like the event is checking to see if the light is on? Assuming that, what if the event just blindly sends an off to the light exactly xx minutes after no motion? That's how I have all of my motion off events working. A lot of times there is an off sent to a light that is already off, but that's no big deal. The disadvantage would be that in your case, if you turn the light on remotely, it won't go off until you turn it off or until xx minutes after someone goes past the motion detector.
      Here you go. Funny, i remember this at my old house and looked at my old events... doesn't look like i ever fixed it. Remember thinking that i'd rarely ever turn on a light remotely that i wanted controlled with motion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-05-18 101427.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1386465

Comment

Change "at least" to "exactly". This is triggering every 1s and conditions are met as soon as you turn on the light. With "exactly" it would only trigger if you turned it on at essentially the same instant it reaches 10m, 0s, which will likely never happen.
        -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
          Change "at least" to "exactly". This is triggering every 1s and conditions are met as soon as you turn on the light. With "exactly" it would only trigger if you turned it on at essentially the same instant it reaches 10m, 0s, which will likely never happen.
          Rock star... so easy and yet so necessary :-).

thank you!

Comment

What he said! :-)

It's kinda funny to me to look at some of the scripts and events I have created. I get "into" HA seriously a few times a year and spend a lot of time figuring things out. Then it may be 6 months or more before I look at it again at all. When I do, its like, "I" wrote that? I used to know how to do that? Really? LOL! My point being, I bet this happens to most of us on a pretty regular basis.....

It's none of my business, but I am curious, why do you care if the bench light is on or off when you send the off command to it after 10 minutes of no motion? ...especially if it is after EXACTLY 10 minutes. And, (major assumptions here....) why would you not want this bench light event to trigger if you are on UPS power?

Hope all goes well with you and yours in WA!!!

Comment

Working...
            X