Automating a Heatilor Fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automating a Heatilor Fireplace

Does anyone have any experience automating a fireplace, more specifically, a Heatilator fireplace that has a IPI (intermittent pilot ignition). I initially installed an Insteon On/Off switch on the light switch that powers the outlet in the fireplace. However, it doesn't work because I've been told the IPI requires constant power. I was told that I can take the 2 switch wires (they are always brown) and connect them to a device that opens and closes the circuit to the ignitor. I don't know if it needs to close the circuit for the full duration that I want the fireplace to remain on OR if it just needs to momentary close the circuit like a garage door opener.

Does anyone have any experience doing this and/or under is knowledge is the subject matter that can provide some assistance?

What type of device would I use to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

I used this RF transmitter with my gas log's it was WAF approved. I set it up with one of the Insteon 4 button switches and setup up some events to turn on/off if the house was occupied + cold inside temp + time of day.

take a look at this post 315 MHz Transmitter / Reciever needed for Mertik Maxitrol Gas Fire Place

Devoir

Comment

I should have mentioned that the fireplace is already controlled by a remote control. Maybe I can someone use HomeSeer to transmit the ON and OFF signal (they are discreet signals).

Comment

I do not have intermittent pilot but I have automated my fireplace by using a z-wave thermostat. This has a couple bonuses. I can turn it on/off automatically based on temperature. I have events that will kick on the fireplaces if power goes out and temperature is below certain level in the house. You can have permanent 12-24v power to it.

if it is IR controlled you can use a GlobalCache GC-100 to blast IR signals. You can also train it to any remote. Takes some work to get the codes into the system and you have to buy the hardware from GC to read the codes.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailJ View Post
          I do not have intermittent pilot but I have automated my fireplace by using a z-wave thermostat. This has a couple bonuses. I can turn it on/off automatically based on temperature. I have events that will kick on the fireplaces if power goes out and temperature is below certain level in the house. You can have permanent 12-24v power to it.

if it is IR controlled you can use a GlobalCache GC-100 to blast IR signals. You can also train it to any remote. Takes some work to get the codes into the system and you have to buy the hardware from GC to read the codes.

Hope this helps
          Thanks for the suggestion. That's an avenue I will explore. Can the GC-100 send RF signals too? I'm pretty sure my remote is RF versus line of site IR.

Comment

Originally posted by devoir View Post
            I used this RF transmitter with my gas log's it was WAF approved. I set it up with one of the Insteon 4 button switches and setup up some events to turn on/off if the house was occupied + cold inside temp + time of day.

take a look at this post 315 MHz Transmitter / Reciever needed for Mertik Maxitrol Gas Fire Place

Devoir
            Thanks for the info. Looking into it.

Comment

Originally posted by mgonzales100 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. That's an avenue I will explore. Can the GC-100 send RF signals too? I'm pretty sure my remote is RF versus line of site IR.
              The GC-100 does not send RF. While I'm not sure about your fireplace, what I did with mine is locate the wires from the RF receiver for the remote and test the behaviour of bridging the ends to see what happens. As soon as I did that, the fireplace lit up. So it in my case a mimolite dry contact closure was all I needed. Very high WAF with this as I have it controlled by Alexa as well. I have some safety events implemented as well. I haven't used the RF remote since - though I still can in a loss of power situation.

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Here's a project where a guy used an arduino and RF transmitter to emulate his RF remote's multiple buttons. If your remote has more than just on/off, it might be worth considering. I used this video as a go-by to build a controller for a mosquito misting system with a 3-button remote. I use mcsMQTT to control it with HS3.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDtSgqbBic
                -Wade

Comment

We have a basement den with a gas Heatilator fireplace. Ours is older and is not remote controlled. I too have added a Z-wave thermostat to control it. It works great since the den can sometimes be chilly with 2 north-facing windows. I use outside temperature and humidity, inside temperature, and motion to run the fireplace via HomeSeer as needed during the "cold" season. Someone walks into the den and conditions warrant heat, it turns on automatically. If the den becomes vacant or heat conditions are met, the fireplace turns off. I can always control the fireplace via the thermostat, HomeSeer, or HSTouch for manual control. I chose a Z-wave battery model thermostat in the event of a power failure. The Den is our go-to place for power outages. I replace the 4 AA batteries about 4 times a year when prompted by the thermostat. I also kept the manual On/Off switch on the wall.
                  Dale

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

The GC-100 does not send RF. While I'm not sure about your fireplace, what I did with mine is locate the wires from the RF receiver for the remote and test the behaviour of bridging the ends to see what happens. As soon as I did that, the fireplace lit up. So it in my case a mimolite dry contact closure was all I needed. Very high WAF with this as I have it controlled by Alexa as well. I have some safety events implemented as well. I haven't used the RF remote since - though I still can in a loss of power situation.

Robert
                    Robert. I think that is exactly what I'm looking for. What hardware did you need to accomplish this? Do you mind providing the links? Also, what plugin did you use? I'm exploring all the options recommended. I need a solution that isn't too technical.

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
                      Here's a project where a guy used an arduino and RF transmitter to emulate his RF remote's multiple buttons. If your remote has more than just on/off, it might be worth considering. I used this video as a go-by to build a controller for a mosquito misting system with a 3-button remote. I use mcsMQTT to control it with HS3.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDtSgqbBic
                      Thanks for the info. I think this will work. However, after watching the video, I'm a little concerned that it's above my pay grade. I will explore some of the less involved solutions first then circle back to this one if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by dale View Post
                        We have a basement den with a gas Heatilator fireplace. Ours is older and is not remote controlled. I too have added a Z-wave thermostat to control it. It works great since the den can sometimes be chilly with 2 north-facing windows. I use outside temperature and humidity, inside temperature, and motion to run the fireplace via HomeSeer as needed during the "cold" season. Someone walks into the den and conditions warrant heat, it turns on automatically. If the den becomes vacant or heat conditions are met, the fireplace turns off. I can always control the fireplace via the thermostat, HomeSeer, or HSTouch for manual control. I chose a Z-wave battery model thermostat in the event of a power failure. The Den is our go-to place for power outages. I replace the 4 AA batteries about 4 times a year when prompted by the thermostat. I also kept the manual On/Off switch on the wall.
                        Dale
                        Thank you for the recommendation. What Z-wave device do you use as the receiver that turns on the fireplace. I think I understand how to trigger it with Z-wave. What Z-wave contact closure do you use to complete the circuit?

Comment

Originally posted by mgonzales100 View Post

Robert. I think that is exactly what I'm looking for. What hardware did you need to accomplish this? Do you mind providing the links? Also, what plugin did you use? I'm exploring all the options recommended. I need a solution that isn't too technical.
                          This one isn't too technical... hell, I don't even use a plugin. It's basically provides on/off dry contact function. As I live in Canada, this is what my supplier provides.

https://www.aartech.ca/mimolite/fort...ut-module.html

Cheers,

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

This one isn't too technical... hell, I don't even use a plugin. It's basically provides on/off dry contact function. As I live in Canada, this is what my supplier provides.

https://www.aartech.ca/mimolite/fort...ut-module.html

Cheers,

Robert
                            Thanks Robert. I spent a year in Vancouver about 5 years ago. Great place. I'll look more into this device. I'm assuming that I can set the the Mimolite to stay open or closed versus a momentary close like with a garage door opener.

Comment

Van is real nice....Yes, to your question, this is how mine is set..

It has been 100% reliable for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X