Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
    Corvl1 and Decaseer,
    I purchased 2 of these several years ago because they were "outside" units. After looking at the construction it was unclear that they were constructed any differently than all other manufacturers inside units. I tested inside and out(under cover, like an eve) and they both stopped working in less than a year. Do you know who is the original manufacturer?
    I have the Everspring version now about 4 years on my gate , covered in the winter with about 1 meter of snow, sometimes covered in ice, when the snow melts and freezes again , in sommer temperatures till +33 degrees C, and it is still working.

Cor

Comment

Anyone know where this can be ordered in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by mlevin77 View Post

how does this work - IFTTT goes through email or ? How often do you have HS check email?
        IFTTT has the capability of connecting to MyHS. So for the "then": part, I just have IFTTT trigger an event.

Comment

Originally posted by mlevin77 View Post

Anyone know where this can be ordered in the US?
          I looked to see where I got mine - it was on Amazon back in 2012 - they no longer sell it. However - this Zooz looks VERY similar - and available on Amazon.
          https://www.getzooz.com/zooz-zse29-o...on-sensor.html

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post

I do not think it is outdoor rated, but mine have been outdoors for 3 years with NO issues. We regularly have HIGH humidity and it has been accidently sprayed with a hose a time or two. I think the case is pretty tight. When I opened them up recently, there were no bugs or dust or anything inside. Direct sunlight or rain probably would not be good for them.
            I purchased 2 of the Monoprice(manufacturer is VisionSecurity?) and they seem to perform reasonably(one will not report battery level-have factory reset 3 times and still no battery reporting--will return one.
            I need outside temp reporting ALSO and have discovered these are very "coarse", reporting in steps of 3-4 degrees Fahrenheit as temp changes. I need something that will report a ~1 degree Fahrenheit change, so I will keep looking. I'm spoiled after using OregonScientific(Connected with RFCom) which do 0.1 degree changes every couple of minutes and their cases are very weatherproof.

Comment

….I'm spoiled after using OregonScientific(Connected with RFCom) which do 0.1 degree changes every couple of minutes and their cases are very weatherproof.
              Why don't you still use them? I can understand if you need more of them...….

Comment

I have been reducing dependence on RFXCom/OS for several years and now down to 1 temperature(outside) monitor. Just trying to simplify to one system(Z-wave) where I can get distance(with mesh network) and reliability.

Comment

I have been reducing dependence on RFXCom/OS for several years and now down to 1 temperature(outside) monitor. Just trying to simplify to one system(Z-wave) where I can get distance(with mesh network) and reliability.
                  Pick your poison?

I hear ya. I was going to go all z-wave, too, in our new house. I have, basically, but there are just too many better/cheaper components out there than their z-wave counterparts. I basically had forgotten that the beauty of Homeseer is that is can interface with nearly any technology. Now I am committed to buying the best component available for the job. And sometimes best means cheapest, sometimes it means robust, and sometimes it means easiest.

Comment

I am actually also reluctant to mix technologies and I try to use everything z-wave. Many years ago I was betting/hoping that z-wave will be the dominant technology. Zigbee was another options that is very similar and it seems tends to be less expensive. However, z-wave seemed to be better positioned. In addition, I wanted a large network with many repeaters to have a more resilient network. Hence, I avoided having z-wave and Zigbee. WiFi is another options which is maybe easier to set up and integrate with things like Alexa, etc. I consider it the 'consumer option' which just by volume might because dominant. I just don't trust it enough.

As for RFXCom, that's the one odd part where I stepped away from z-wave. The reason was simply the lack of other options. My awnings use Somfy RF motors and RFXCom supports those. I certainly wish there was a z-wave option but there isn't. The same is the case for an external blind I am going to purchase soon. All the outdoor options either use something proprietary or Somfy RF. At the time we bought all our ceiling fans there was also no z-wave option. They probably have it now. In any case, for all those items I use RFXCom and the support is excellent. The biggest risk is that it seems to be a one-man shop...

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                      I am actually also reluctant to mix technologies and I try to use everything z-wave. Many years ago I was betting/hoping that z-wave will be the dominant technology. Zigbee was another options that is very similar and it seems tends to be less expensive. However, z-wave seemed to be better positioned. In addition, I wanted a large network with many repeaters to have a more resilient network. Hence, I avoided having z-wave and Zigbee. WiFi is another options which is maybe easier to set up and integrate with things like Alexa, etc. I consider it the 'consumer option' which just by volume might because dominant. I just don't trust it enough.

As for RFXCom, that's the one odd part where I stepped away from z-wave. The reason was simply the lack of other options. My awnings use Somfy RF motors and RFXCom supports those. I certainly wish there was a z-wave option but there isn't. The same is the case for an external blind I am going to purchase soon. All the outdoor options either use something proprietary or Somfy RF. At the time we bought all our ceiling fans there was also no z-wave option. They probably have it now. In any case, for all those items I use RFXCom and the support is excellent. The biggest risk is that it seems to be a one-man shop...
                      Somfy does have a z-wave interface!

Comment

BobSpen Which one? I have Somfy z-wave motors for my indoor shades. However, Sunsetter (which uses Somfy) and all other manufacturers I have found that offer outdoor roller shades with Somfy motors all use the RF version. I am actually going to buy an outdoor shade very soon and if there is one that supports z-wave I definitely want to know about it. Good I didn't buy it yet...

Comment

I do not have the unit but I think Somfy manufactures a small module that converts Z-wave to RF; Somfy ZRTSI RTS 16 Channel Z-Wave to RTS Plug-in Interface Wall Module

by somfy

Comment

BobSpen I looked at this unit before. It's quite a few years ago so maybe I don't have an accurate recollection. Anyways, this unit just translates z-wave to RTS (and it's pretty expensive from what I recall). There are a couple of problems with that.

One is that z-wave allows controlling percentage of opening. RTS does not. I would help me A LOT if I have control over the opening. It's my understanding that this device does not allow me to control how much I want an awning/shade opened because RTS doesn't provide such feedback.

The second issue is that this will introduce another interface (the motors are still RTS) and another point of failure. So why would I want to purchase an expensive z-wave to RTS system that adds more failure points and doesn't give me the advantage of z-wave.

I did a lot of research on this but if I am wrong then please correct me. I will still have to use RFXCom for my fans but if I can get reliable, easy to setup, and most importantly percentage of opening control for my awning and outdoor shades than that is what I want to do. It's one of my current headaches...

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post

I do not think it is outdoor rated, but mine have been outdoors for 3 years with NO issues. We regularly have HIGH humidity and it has been accidently sprayed with a hose a time or two. I think the case is pretty tight. When I opened them up recently, there were no bugs or dust or anything inside. Direct sunlight or rain probably would not be good for them.
                              outbackrob,
                              I have had a couple of unit of the Monoprice motion sensor(looks to be manufactured by Vision Security?) in test for a while now(even had one replaced because it would not report battery status). They have ALL failed to report battery status after one or two reports(all have been left of the 12 hr default setting in HS and in the device). Have your devices been reporting Battery Status and what is interval)?

Comment

outbackrob,
                                I have had a couple of unit of the Monoprice motion sensor(looks to be manufactured by Vision Security?) in test for a while now(even had one replaced because it would not report battery status). They have ALL failed to report battery status after one or two reports(all have been left of the 12 hr default setting in HS and in the device). Have your devices been reporting Battery Status and what is interval)?

I have 4 of these sensors (I assume you mean the 4 in 1 version) and they have been quite reliable at sending the battery status. Occasionally when replacing the batteries it will not send the battery level at all but a simple reset (remove and replace the batteries) and it will start sending the battery status within the 24 hours.

My 2 complaints with these devices would be short battery life @ approx. 4 months depending on activity and how they are configured and they can be slow sending motion messages sometimes.

J.Hopple

Comment

Working...
                                X