Outdoor motion sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor motion sensor?

I can't seem to find a Z-wave motion sensor rated to be outdoors (in winter etc.). Is there one? I was also thinking to have my front yard camera, which can generate an email upon motion detection, send an email to HS3 which would then turn on outdoor lights etc. but the HS3 interface says "check frequency" in *minutes* and that would take too long; is there a good solution to have lights turned on in my Z-wave system on motion in the front yard?

Maybe this? Do you have a light or an outlet you can wite this into?

HomeSeer HS-FLS100+ Z-Wave Plus Floodlight Sensor
    https://shop.homeseer.com/products/h...odlight-sensor

Comment

hmm I was ideally hoping for something that didn't require an electrician to install; an out-door version of one of the simpler battery-powered combo sensors that do motion,light, and temperature - they work great indoors...

Comment

The Floodlight sensor is a practical solution unless you lack a fixture on which to use it.

You can also try the Dakota 4000+ Sensor series. It's a long-range wireless system that can be used with various motion-detecting devices. It's not a z-wave device itself, but has relay outputs that you can use to connect to a Fortrezz Mimolite or Ecolink Door Sensor. I recently installed the Driveway Vehicle probe using the Ecolink sensor wired into the 4000. Works great with HS.

Comment

The Homeseer HS-FLS 100 Floodlight sensor is great. I replaced my old X10 floodlight sensors and the HS-FLS100 units are very stable. With the X10 floodlight sensor if I had leaves on the ground and the wind would blow the X10 sensor would trigger. The new sensors do not. Another nice feature of the Homeseer Floodlight sensor is that it gives LUX values. For me I use its value to trigger my dusk lights for the night. The sunset time on HS3 is great but if you have a cloudy day it gets darker earlier, so using these values works out great.

Ronnie

Comment

For a battery operated outdoor motion detector, I just utilize a Ring device. I have Ring then notify Homeseer utilizing an IFTTT trigger. Have it on the front porch, and it works well, and is responsive. The ring device can be a camera or floodlight depending on need (I am using a camera).

Comment

http://www.everspring.com/portfolio-...tion-detector/

Comment

or
                https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/col...y-or-usb-power

Comment

I'm in SE Texas so "Winter" is not too harsh. I have a few of these outside but under a porch or roof. They never get rained on. I think they got down to 17F once and over 103F on a few occasions over the last 3 years. They are not blindingly fast, but work well enough to turn the porch light on in time to help you find your key in the darkness. I tested the batteries in all of them last week and they are still 100% after THREE YEARS on the job. They use the 3V lithium batteries. It also has a temperature sensor which is helpful.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15271

Comment

Corvl1 and Decaseer,
                    I purchased 2 of these several years ago because they were "outside" units. After looking at the construction it was unclear that they were constructed any differently than all other manufacturers inside units. I tested inside and out(under cover, like an eve) and they both stopped working in less than a year. Do you know who is the original manufacturer?

outbackrob,
                    Sounds like an interesting option but does not seem to be "outdoor" rated? Have you looked inside to see if there is anything that might protect it from weather? Do you know who manufactures the unit and do they also sell it?

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                      For a battery operated outdoor motion detector, I just utilize a Ring device. I have Ring then notify Homeseer utilizing an IFTTT trigger. Have it on the front porch, and it works well, and is responsive. The ring device can be a camera or floodlight depending on need (I am using a camera).
                      how does this work - IFTTT goes through email or ? How often do you have HS check email?

Comment

How do you power the front camera?

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                          How do you power the front camera?
                          plugged into an outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
                            outbackrob,
                            Sounds like an interesting option but does not seem to be "outdoor" rated? Have you looked inside to see if there is anything that might protect it from weather? Do you know who manufactures the unit and do they also sell it?
                            I do not think it is outdoor rated, but mine have been outdoors for 3 years with NO issues. We regularly have HIGH humidity and it has been accidently sprayed with a hose a time or two. I think the case is pretty tight. When I opened them up recently, there were no bugs or dust or anything inside. Direct sunlight or rain probably would not be good for them.

Comment

Zooz has a zwave outdoor sensor.

Comment

Working...
                              X