Attic Fan Control via Z-wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attic Fan Control via Z-wave

I have a switch in the hall that controls an attic fan but without a neutral. So I figured to put the z-wave controller where the fan wiring connects to the house wiring by the fan.

The motor is quite small, just under three inches in diameter and 5 inches long. I have no idea of the draw.

What are the consequences if I use for example a Qubino Flush Relay? I guess there can be operational issues because being a motor it's induction instead of resistance.

Any thoughts appreciated.

If you are using a relay (not a dimmer) you do not have to worry if the load is resistive or inductive.

Comment

You need to determine the startup amperage of that motor. The max on that relay is 10A, as I recall. What about using the Qubino to control a HD relay that in turn controls the fan?

Comment

That seems like a reasonable way to do it. A relay should be just fine for a motor. A relay is really just a switch. Where you can get in trouble is if you try to use a light dimmer with a fan. Actually, if you look at Qubino's website, they even show a ceiling fan as one application for the relay.

https://qubino.com/products/flush-1-relay/

Comment

For a fan that is not easily accessible, I put a relay between the fan and a Z-Wave switch/relay.
          We know HS is 100% reliable but still, if I ever need to do anything with the Z-Wave switch, I would not want to climb to the roof.
          I think I paid like $10 for a 25A relay on Amazon.

I have another fan (5-6 amps) that's been driven by an old Aeotec PlugIn module for several years.

Comment

Thanks everyone, yes it is a relay not a dimmer. Strictly ON/OFF. The fan and wiring are easily accessible in the attic, luckily. I already included it with the temp sensor and will install tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X