Extending the reach of my Internet connection to outbuilding 1/2 mile away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extending the reach of my Internet connection to outbuilding 1/2 mile away

Is there a way to extend my Internet connection to an outbuilding that is located about 1/2 mile away ? No direct line of sight but only trees in the way no hills or buildings.

Thanks,
    RIsquare

There is a similar thread here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...to-a-boathouse

Two options I can see:

1) Trenching & install a fibre run.
    2) Install Internet satellite at the outbuilding and establish a VPN to your main network.

Both $$$$

How high is the tree canopy?
    Jon

Comment

I don't have experience with this myself but I know of people that build their own "directional antenna". Some routers also allow you to boost the signal. There are some commercial options. See this article.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...-Away-or-more/

Comment

Personally, I'd have an ISP or Satellite Provider install basic service. My fear would be any expectation of reliable and decent bandwidth at 1/2 mile, employing Rube Goldberg transmission equipment would be likely to fail at the significant waste of $$$.$$. My 2¢.
        HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
        Home Assistant 2024.3
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
        Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
        Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
        WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
          Personally, I'd have an ISP
          Depending how far the out building is from the ISP closest junction point they may want to charge for running the line. An out building 1/2 from the OP's house sounds like he has a large property.

Comment

That's why I threw in the option of a satellite provider. Viasat might do it for $30/mo. and all the headaches of keeping it running is on them.
            HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
            Home Assistant 2024.3
            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
            Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
            Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
            WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
            AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Ubiquiti Nanostation LOCO M5

Comment

If no hills or buildings I use https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nano...1843433&sr=8-1 900 MHz radios to blow a hole through the Trees. I have done this for over 1 mile through trees to extend the local network. I have a couple people using these & have had them running for more than 5 years & never looked at them again. Rock Solid

Comment

I would go fo another cheap internet provider with a vpn between them.

Comment

feman
                    Rodger3876

Love the Ubiquity option. I'm using Ubiquity for WiFi with 7 AP covering about 3 acres with WiFi and I'm very happy with it. I hope that the "nano" will not disappoint. Any practical advice and details. I assume I need two nanos one at each end. Are they plug-and-play? Ubiquity is sometimes more technical than I can handle. What spectrum do nanos operate at? Are they going to mess up my WiFi network?

Comment

They have work very well for me & other people I have ser up. There are some retailer that can sell you the units & pre config if you want. https://www.radiolabs.com/wireless/w...reless-bridge/ 900 will not mess with you 2.4 or 5.0. 900 have more power for shorter distance but slower speeds.

Comment

I have not used the Nano M9 but yes, you will need two of them. I have used the Loco M5. They were pretty easy to set up. They are more for a direct line of sight. If trees and such between them then the 900MHz option is the better one. No experience with the M9 model.

Comment

Got a pair of M2s Setup is anything but trivial. I can setup WiFi routers easily but this thing is a bit more complicated for a novice. Fortunately, very good video guidance here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrEEOV5oA8Y Actual distance point to point happens to be 1/4 mile only in my case. However the trees along the direct line happen to be more than I thought. Got 50% performance but I'm yet to do the fine tuning of the direction. Not sure how to set the width of the channel. The video guide was not sure either but in general the idea is that the narrower the channel, the longer the distance and slower speed. I have to play with this parameter as well. Currently at 20 MHz down from 40 MHz but can go further down to 8 MHz.

Comment

Did you get the NBM9s which are 900 MHz. If you got the 2.4 MHz these will not go through trees. I have the NBM9s going through dense trees & a Barn for more than 1/2 mile carrying more than 30Mbps? 2.4MHz may get you through the trees but it's going to be unreliable? (wet, Dry, Snow, Wind, No Leafs).

Comment

Rodger3876

You're absolutely right. 2.4Mhz devices didn't work reliably and returned them. Now, NBM9 seems to be widely UNAVAILABLE. Would "Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M9" do the trick, provided that my straight line distance is 1/4 mile only.

Comment

Working...
                              X