Best Smart Door Locks for HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Smart Door Locks for HS

Which smart door locks integrate best with HS? I previously had the Yale Assure and my home that I just sold. However, I owned the August Homekit version. I was really happy with it. However, I'm not sure it's compatible with HS. I assume the z-wave version is.

Not married to the Yale Assure. That's why I'm asking for recommendations.

We have the Schlage locks and they work well, especially the newer models (Camelot). Is there something you really like about the Yale that you want to keep? If so what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
      We have the Schlage locks and they work well, especially the newer models (Camelot). Is there something you really like about the Yale that you want to keep? If so what is it?
      Good question. I like the small footprint on the version that doesn't have a keyhole. It also worked flawlessly, and didn't burn through batteries. August connect made it a breeze to add additional users and lastly, I liked the ability to charge the lock with a 9v battery if the locked batteries died.

Comment

What do you like about the Schlage?

The builder preinstalled the Kevo but I'm not impressed with it and I don't see a plugin that will allow me to integrate with HS.

Comment

I also really like how responsive the keypad is. I used to have the Kwikset smartlock and it touchscreen was pretty bad.

Comment

I purchased a Yale Assure SL Z-wave based on this thread. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...seer-and-z-net. I had issues adding it non-secured, but it added fine in secured mode - which is probably what I should have done first off. I'm appraching 1 year and battery is still reporting 73%. I have a Z-Net and never have any issues on reporting or control.
            Overall, this works perfect and I'm happy I picked it.
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by mgonzales100 View Post

What do you like about the Schlage?

The builder preinstalled the Kevo but I'm not impressed with it and I don't see a plugin that will allow me to integrate with HS.
              A strong point for us was the aesthetics (Schlage Camelot) of the lock incl. the handle. It matched well with our door. Schlage is also very good with warranty which is a strong point. For instance the first one we had used up batteries very quickly. Schlage replaced it and the new one last MUCH longer and is also quieter. The number pad also doesn't leave any finger prints behind which is important for security. It also allows us to add multiple codes. I actually did this manually though the keypad so it's not super convenient but maybe there is an easier way (maybe even through HS?). In our case we really just have two codes, one for us and one for our extended family and a neighbor. Having this second code allows me to get notifications when that code is being used but not when we use our code. Also when the battery is low the look will tell you by beeping and shortly delay the requested action (unlock/lock). So you will know you have to change the battery, i.e. you don't have to setup events in HS to notify you.

Some people might not like the big inside part of the lock. It is somewhat large but it doesn't bother us. The color blends in well with the door so it's not an eyesore. Otherwise I can't really think of anything negative about the lock. We like it a lot and we don't carry any door keys anymore. We can give access to others without having to give them keys. Locking is just a matter of single button press.

Comment

Originally posted by mgonzales100 View Post

I also really like how responsive the keypad is. I used to have the Kwikset smartlock and it touchscreen was pretty bad.
                I haven't used any of the other locks but we never had any issue with responsiveness of the Schlage lock. It responds instantaneously. You do have to press the Schlage button before entering the code. It sound a bit like a hassle as it requires an additional button press but nobody ever complained about it. Actually, it is kind of nice because if you mistype the code you just hit the Schlage button and then restart entering the code.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                  I purchased a Yale Assure SL Z-wave based on this thread. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...seer-and-z-net. I had issues adding it non-secured, but it added fine in secured mode - which is probably what I should have done first off. I'm appraching 1 year and battery is still reporting 73%. I have a Z-Net and never have any issues on reporting or control.
                  Overall, this works perfect and I'm happy I picked it.
                  Thanks for the information. Once it is added to your Z-wave network, it is easy to add users to the lock? Is that done via an app provided by Yale, HS, or do I have to add them using the keypad?

Comment

A strong point for us was the aesthetics (Schlage Camelot) of the lock incl. the handle. It matched well with our door. Schlage is also very good with warranty which is a strong point. For instance the first one we had used up batteries very quickly. Schlage replaced it and the new one last MUCH longer and is also quieter. The number pad also doesn't leave any finger prints behind which is important for security. It also allows us to add multiple codes. I actually did this manually though the keypad so it's not super convenient but maybe there is an easier way (maybe even through HS?). In our case we really just have two codes, one for us and one for our extended family and a neighbor. Having this second code allows me to get notifications when that code is being used but not when we use our code. Also when the battery is low the look will tell you by beeping and shortly delay the requested action (unlock/lock). So you will know you have to change the battery, i.e. you don't have to setup events in HS to notify you.

Some people might not like the big inside part of the lock. It is somewhat large but it doesn't bother us. The color blends in well with the door so it's not an eyesore. Otherwise I can't really think of anything negative about the lock. We like it a lot and we don't carry any door keys anymore. We can give access to others without having to give them keys. Locking is just a matter of single button press.
                    Thanks for the info. I will give the Schlage Camelot a look.

Comment

I've got a Schlage and a Yale. The Yales are z-wave+ so their zwave is more reliable. I like the mechanics of the lock better. It looks nicer.

The Schlage buttons are nice (I've had it longer so I am more comfortable with it). The thing I like about the schlages is in HS, the user coder entered shows up so you can trigger off of different users. Either the Yale doesn't support this or I didn't figure that out yet.
                      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                        I've got a Schlage and a Yale. The Yales are z-wave+ so their zwave is more reliable. ...
                        I have four old Kwikset deadbolts (910 or something like that, I think), and those have been and are pretty good. The only problems are that sometimes a status change (like being locked or unlocked) doesn't make it to HS, or a lock or unlock command from HS doesn't make it to a lock. Is Z-wave+ enough better that you expect these cases to be greatly reduced or eliminated? (I have the Z-wave+ Smartstick.)

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                          I've got a Schlage and a Yale. The Yales are z-wave+ so their zwave is more reliable. I like the mechanics of the lock better. It looks nicer.

The Schlage buttons are nice (I've had it longer so I am more comfortable with it). The thing I like about the schlages is in HS, the user coder entered shows up so you can trigger off of different users. Either the Yale doesn't support this or I didn't figure that out yet.
                          Being able to trigger off of different user codes is a bid deal to me. I was heavily leaning toward the Yale but this has me second guessing myself.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

I have four old Kwikset deadbolts (910 or something like that, I think), and those have been and are pretty good. The only problems are that sometimes a status change (like being locked or unlocked) doesn't make it to HS, or a lock or unlock command from HS doesn't make it to a lock. Is Z-wave+ enough better that you expect these cases to be greatly reduced or eliminated? (I have the Z-wave+ Smartstick.)
                            I have 5 Kwikset 901's a one Schlange. I use to miss commands/reports until I made sure that I had repeaters close to the locks and changed batteries to the Energizer Ultimate from the Energizer Max and Duracell Copper Tops. Funny thing is I never thought changing batteries would/could make a difference but I read somewhere that they did, they were right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigstevep View Post

I have 5 Kwikset 901's a one Schlange. I use to miss commands/reports until I made sure that I had repeaters close to the locks and changed batteries to the Energizer Ultimate from the Energizer Max and Duracell Copper Tops. Funny thing is I never thought changing batteries would/could make a difference but I read somewhere that they did, they were right.
                              I, too, have Kwikset and, though not related to z-wave, I like the ability to key and re-key with involving a locksmith. Since Z-Wave+ I haven't had to move the z-net next to the lock. The only problem I have had in Inclusion is battery related. As Bigstevep notes, fresh brand name batteries are critical.
                              HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                              Home Assistant 2024.3
                              Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                              Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                              Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                              WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                              AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Working...
                              X