Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for low-voltage relay control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stualden View Post
    Grateful thanks to all of you - and I don't mind the temporary hijacking of the thread, there's lots to learn here and I appreciate all of it.

Sounds like it's time to get smart about MQTT, and I will check out the Shelly relay. Michael, do you plan to adapt your mcsMQTT plugin to HS4 (or perhaps it's already compatible)?

Alex_W, the builder used a conventional 120V wall switch for the millivolt circuit. I anticipated replacing that with a single-pole-triple-throw rocker switch, i.e.

-On (burner on, bypass the relay entirely)
    -Off (burner off no matter what the relay says)
    -Auto (burner controlled by relay)

That likely meets the spirit of typical code requirements you're describing, correct?

Thanks,

--Stu
    That would seem to be a good way to do the switch since the switch is functioning as it did before, you're simply adding the option for remote control. I don't think this is any different than systems that offer the option of RF remote control, but check your local code requirements to make sure. As I added above, you'll want to use a relay unit powered by low-voltage (12VDC for example) to eliminate the need for AC line voltage in the switch box with the low-voltage (which opens up a whole other can of worms). I'm not sure if Shelly makes one.

Comment

It looks like the Shelly 1 can use 12 VDC, 30-50 VDC, or 120-240 VAC (wow, they thought of everything), so I plan to go with one of those, with mcsShelly and a 12V power supply to keep everything nice and safe. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by stualden View Post
        It looks like the Shelly 1 can use 12 VDC, 30-50 VDC, or 120-240 VAC (wow, they thought of everything), so I plan to go with one of those, with mcsShelly and a 12V power supply to keep everything nice and safe. Thanks again.
        You're welcome. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Comment

Working...
        X