Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shine Bathroom - automate cleaning the toilet!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    Why didn't I think of this. A squirt gun on steroids with consumables. This is how you make money
    Well... I don't think that's the exact selling point (hopefully). One can already buy tablets that you simply drop in the water fill tank to accomplish that. The main selling point is the electrolyzed water that supposedly remove stains (like hard water/rust) as good/better than bleach, yet safer for the environment.
    https://www.forceofnatureclean.com/w...rolyzed-water/

Comment

I start to like it
      -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

outbackrob It's been a couple of weeks with a major holiday- what's the verdict so far? (mine arrives next week!)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevb View Post
          outbackrob It's been a couple of weeks with a major holiday- what's the verdict so far? (mine arrives next week!)
          The short answer is: It works! It really does keep the bowl clean. Good WAF!

The longer answer is: While it works, it feels like this is a BETA program. Right now there is no real way to dial in any parameters as to sensitivity or time of activation (when). Consequently, when my son takes a shower in his bathroom, two of my Shines constantly spray toilets in adjacent bathrooms, and one of them sprays as soon as it detects a flush so the spray goes right down the drain. They say there is firmware coming to allow users to better control each Shine.... In the meantime, they can connect to your Shines remotely and adjust it, but that involves setting up a time for a zoom call. If you have time for that, then you also have time to remove and re-add a Shine on your own to see if that helps the problem. That is what I have done and gotten pretty good results.

Two MAJOR things: 1) Use an old cube phone charger to charge the battery. Even though it is a type C connection, the batteries can't seem to handle the more powerful quick chargers. I killed a battery with one (replaced by Shine). 2) DO NOT GET THE SHINE WET! if water gets into the battery compartment, the contact points are not waterproof. Water will drip through it and short out the battery. Ask me how I know..... (replaced by shine)

Two less major things: 1) Don't drop a Shine. I dropped one. It landed on a rug and it looked perfect. Nothing rattling inside. Seemed to be fine. It wasn't. It developed a leak internally where the electrolysis gadget's wires connect through the housing. Water leaked down and filled the housing enough that it leaked through the battery contacts into the battery resulting in #2 above. Shine folks said they have had a few with leaks like that caused in manufacturing so they replaced it. I attribute it to the drop. They sent a new one anyway. 2) Read all about the Shine holder accessories before you buy one. The ones that hang on the side of the tank are not strong enough to hold up a full Shine and it hangs lopsided. They also don't work well on fancy shaped tanks that are not "flat" sided.

Having said all that, they do seem to work. After lots of removing and re-adding, ours are working pretty well and at the appropriate times. The hard water and rust stain on our ancient toilet (original bathroom from 1980) seems to be diminishing after just a few weeks. There is a very light "bleach" smell in the bathrooms and we like that.

Comment

Thank you for this! Good to hear about the WAF- we have a small business and work a lot, especially this time of year. My wife doesn't get to keep the place as clean as she'd like, so every bit helps. I remember you earlier stated that the lid is a bit loose. That with making sure it doesn't get wet may require some "catproofing" as we have 3 very curious cats. Again, thanks for this much appreciated info.

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post

The short answer is: It works! It really does keep the bowl clean. Good WAF!
              Did you have hard water iron/rust stains on the bowl? Some people have said it works on this type of problem.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                Did you have hard water iron/rust stains on the bowl? Some people have said it works on this type of problem.
                We have a 40 yo house that still has one original toilet. We've never had bad rust stains, but we do have some hard water buildup at the water level line in the bowl. It does seem to be going away. ....or at least its lightening so its harderd to see.

Comment

I tried one of these, but it never really worked very well. Just got an email that Shine has filed for bankruptcy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevb View Post
                    I tried one of these, but it never really worked very well. Just got an email that Shine has filed for bankruptcy.
                    Which means their reviews were BS... if ya think about it, if this tech worked so well then why wouldn't one of the big manufacturers like Kohler offer it?

Comment

I almost bought this last year. I went to several websites and read the reviews. All I can say is Run as Fast as you can from this product.

Comment

I have four of them. It did take some time to get them dialed in, but all work pretty well. The company HAS filed for bankruptcy, and you can no longer get the cleaning solution from them. HOWEVER, a similar cleaning solution is easily concocted in the kitchen, and an even better solution can be made with a few chemicals purchased via Amazon. The servers that these speak to are still operational and there are several people working on (and somewhat successfully so far) a local app solution. So for right now, at least, I am loving them. All of mine are still working and I am making my own cleaning solution for about 5% of Shine's price. PLUS they sent me another unit out of the blue for some reason so I have spare parts should I need them. The BONUS is that I have learned a LOT about cleaning solutions that are environmentally friendly that I can make myself for pennies on the dollar to clean all sorts of things inside and out. I am bummed that the Smile App and device probably won't ever meet its full potential, but who knows. The folks reverse engineering it are pretty smart. The downside is that once the spare parts are used, that's it. Then again, this whole thing had shown that even when people are home all day and have time, they still don't want to clean a toilet. The market is ripe for something similar produced by viable company.

Comment

Working...
                        X