Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event to alert when a Z-Wave device hasn't been heard from in a while?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event to alert when a Z-Wave device hasn't been heard from in a while?

I've got some funkiness with a GFCI in the basement, which powers both my freezer and a charging station I run off an Aeon Labs smart plug. The GFCI has popped and needed reset a couple times over the past year or so. When this happens, my Aeon Labs plug would stop getting power. Not that I care about my Ryobi batteries not charging if they were on, but I'd like to know in a reasonable timeframe my freezer food is at risk. Looks like the amps / watts / volts do update every 2 or 20 minutes, depending on the measurement. I think if I were to get alerted when one or all of those haven't changed or last updated (value is most commonly at 0 anyway) in a few hours that'd be sufficient. Any thoughts? (still on HS3 Pro if it matters)

I use pushover, so I just need to know how to determine when I have this problem condition. Thanks!

This isn't quite the advice you asked for, but there are some GFCIs on the market that have an audiable alarm so they beep when they pop. I've replaced a number of mine with these and they are plenty loud so, unless you have to worry about the "nobody nome for extended period" case, they might be a more reliable / simple solution: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...A2-W/301387046

Comment

Thanks! Would prefer an alerting solution, as for example we could be travelling and not hear it, whereas if I get an alert on the phone, I can have my folks who live closeby stop by and push the button.

Comment

Do these Aeon Lab outlets report power usage? If so you could set an event that if the power usage hasn't changed for lets say 30 minutes you get a message.

Comment

I think the kW hours does that. However, it's off the vast majority of the time. I only use it to charge my Ryobi batteries and turn it off after 8 hours and let me know it's done.

Comment

Oh, I misread your email. So only your Ryobi battery charger is running of that outlet/switch. I would buy a second outlet/switch for the freezer. It's some extra money but it will cost a whole lot more if all the food in your freezer goes bad. Then I would do what you actually wrote in your email, i.e. checking if the kW/h is changing. To check if this is actually working just trigger your GFCI outlet and see if you get a notification. I would do that test before you buy the second switch. Just use the switch for your charger for some time.

Another solution would be to buy a one wire temperature sensor, hook it up to an Arduino or something else like that and then tie that into HS. In my opinion that is a lot more complicated and not necessarily cheaper as you also might have to buy the Arduino plugin. Also you only get notifications when the temperature already significantly increased as you want to allow some temperature variation.

Comment

Hi
              you might want to check this out.
              i have been monitoring 2 fridges and 1 Freezer for a couple of years now Thank You Sparkman.
              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...dge-monitoring

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by robertb View Post
                I've got some funkiness with a GFCI in the basement, which powers both my freezer and a charging station I run off an Aeon Labs smart plug. The GFCI has popped and needed reset a couple times over the past year or so. When this happens, my Aeon Labs plug would stop getting power. Not that I care about my Ryobi batteries not charging if they were on, but I'd like to know in a reasonable timeframe my freezer food is at risk. Looks like the amps / watts / volts do update every 2 or 20 minutes, depending on the measurement. I think if I were to get alerted when one or all of those haven't changed or last updated (value is most commonly at 0 anyway) in a few hours that'd be sufficient. Any thoughts? (still on HS3 Pro if it matters)

I use pushover, so I just need to know how to determine when I have this problem condition. Thanks!
                From others responses you can see that there are various approaches to tackling the situation you have raised. For your particular issue it is probably best to focus on that specific device. However, whilst it might not suit you, there is a more general method which is to use my free SDJ-Health pi. The main purpose of that pi is to monitor and alert on battery devices but it does also have a separate section for scanning, alerting and reporting on general devices in HS.

In addition to battery monitoring, I have the pi scan my system once a day (easy to scan more often if desired) and send me a full report on my devices alerting me when devices haven't responded for a period of time, can't be polled, or have entered an invalid state. For example with Z-Wave devices it can scan the system to check whether any haven't reported for a set period of time and, if any haven't, it will poll them to check they are still alive, as well as checking for invalid states. It sends me summaries through pushover and full reports by email.

The pi takes account of device grouping so, in the case of your tool outlet, the fact that perhaps only one or two of the child devices updates regularly would be enough for it to pass the initial scan. If none of the child devices had updated in the specified time period then it would poll the root, or one or more of the child devices, to check it was still alive. You can trigger messages based on the number of failures per interface or just send regular summaries and reports.

If you are interested take a look at the guide. The section on General Devices starts on page 14.
                https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ul...j/104921-guide

Steve

Comment

In addition to everything else mentioned already, I would replace the GFCI that is tripping constantly. That's not normal!

Comment

+1 on what feman said. And if the new one starts tripping as well, then I would investigate what on that circuit is causing it, since that is a potential serious (dangerous) problem.

Comment

I like the idea of the SDJ Health plugin, since I also have some battery devices I need to check on anyway. We'll see how it goes, thanks! (probably will be some delay, we're out for a few days)

Comment

Working...
                      X