My first event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first event

I set up my very first event today based on commands from a PR511 motion sensor. I set the PR511 address to A1 and set it to send an A2 ON command when motion is detected (I set a toggle to turn on device with address A2 so I assume it is sending an ON command). I want to play a wav file when motion is detected. First I created a virtual device with code A2 since there is no device with that address.

Then I create the event configured as follows:

On the trigger tab:
    Type: By X10 event
    Trigger if the given X10 housecode and unit code are received: A2 ON
    Days: Every Day

On the device tab:
    Selected devices: virtual device with code: A2 command: ON

On the app/sound/email tab:
    Play sound .Wav file path: c:\MyWavs\intruder.wav

All other settings were left with default values.

When motion is detected and the lights turn on, the wav file does not play. Did I do something incorrectly or miss a setting? I would like to know if this is the right approach for setting up this event.

Or is it a weak signal or phase issue? I can turn the PR511 on and off from HomeSeer without a problem. Shouldn't that mean that I should be able to receive the A2 ON command or is the PR511 known for sending a weak signal? (I have a coupler/repeater on order due to another problem I described in another thread so if it is a signal issue, that may solve it).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Originally posted by nyker56
    .......Then I create the event configured as follows:

On the trigger tab:
    Type: By X10 event
    Trigger if the given X10 housecode and unit code are received: A2 ON
    Days: Every Day

On the device tab:
    Selected devices: virtual device with code: A2 command: ON

On the app/sound/email tab:
    Play sound .Wav file path: c:\MyWavs\intruder.wav

All other settings were left with default values.
    The above looks OK, and if the lights are triggering then the event is running. I presume there is no error message in the log? Did you type in the path to the Wav or "browse" to it? Does it play when you press "Play"?
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Nyker

You need to keep your motion sensor group separate from your lighting group. It will lead to confusion and mistakes.

Currently if you have a motion sensor on A1, you cannot use A2, as this is the "Light sensors" address in the motion sensor. (The next higher address is always used for light detection)

Comment

The way that I do that event here is:

Assuming my motion sensor is A1

The trigger is A1 ON, and under App/Sound/EMail, play wav file. Simple as that!

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I browsed to the wav file and when I hit the play button, it plays.

No error message in the log. That was the first thing I checked.

As far as I know, the PR511 motion sensor does not send an A1 ON when motion is detected, it just turns on the attached floodlights. I tried and no luck. There are settings though to control 4 other X10 devices by motion detection. So I have one of the settings set to turn on device A2. The choices are set to be the motion sensor address +1 or +2 or +3 or +4. So when motion is detected, it is supposed to turn on device A2, keep it on for a specific time frame according to a setting, then turn it off. I assume this is done with an ON command, but the documentation does not say. In this case, there is no device A2 so I created a virtual device. I know the virtual device is being updated because in the web client, I can see that the date of the last status change shows up correctly as the last time motion was detected. But the wav does not play. It sounds like I have the event set up properly. I eliminated the devices tab since it appears that its not needed in this case. So I will wait and see if the coupler/repeater solves the issue.
          Last edited by ; November 22, 2004, 09:51 AM.

Comment

nyker56,
            A couple of questions and points. First of all in your first thread you mentioned you set the trigger to A2 ON and then you stated on the device actions tab your selected devices was virtual device with code: A2 command: ON. The selected devices are the devices you want to control. In other words if I get an A2 on I want to turn on A3,A4, etc. You currently have it turning on A2 again. I'm amazed this doesn't cause an infinite loop. Take the selected devices out for now.

When the light senses motion does an A2 on get logged to the HS log?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Sorry. I did not realise that you were speaking of the floodlight thing.

Comment

As Rupp says you should not have A2 in the Device Action. The trigger A2 ON should just call the wave file to play.
                First how are you receiving the power line signals from the PR511?
                Second if you are receiving OK then can you see A2 change state when there is motion/no motion, you should be able to log the changes as well.
                Third if that does not work do you have an RF receiver? If so what happens when you use a Palm Pad of some sort to send the ON/OFF? It should trigger the wave to play.
                If non of the above work then there may be a problem in the path or at set not correct for playing wave files. I do not use these but you could ensure all is working by setting a device to turn ON/OFF with motion, say a lamp on a copletely different house code.
                Trust you can follow that. Good luck!

Comment

Sorry, I also did not asociated this with flood lighting, although at the end of the day it makes not difference; we are talking about X10 commands.

Correct me if I am wrong.

All works except the WAV file, ie: the trigger works and turns on the lights, if so the problem is not there, if the lights do not operate then that is enother situation. An event or script will run until it comes accross a problem, then it stops, normally logs that fact.

You say that the wave file will play when tested. Your setup as originally posted looks correct. You have no errors logged in the HS log file. Hmm.

As Skibum says it is quite a good idea to keep motion sensors, whatever they may be, to primary numbers, for example 1,3,5,7,9 and so on. I have to be honest and say I have no idea why; but from experience assining a motion sensor to lets say 2 can cause problems. (Someone is going to pick me up and tell me that these are not the primary numbers, I know, just could not remember what they are called. Rupp )

Can you take a screen shot of the setting, all the setting, and post it here? If it was a script it would be easy, just post the scipt; which makes me think: Ever tried to script this?
                  sigpic
                  A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Really appreciate the help. Got it to work. Instead of the X10 command, I used a condition that says if the virtual device status changes to on then play the wav. For some reason checking for A2 ON just didn't play the wav. I think its the PR511 that is the issue. It must do something quircky. Nevertheless, HomeSeer is now notifying me if the motion sensor is activated by playing the wav file.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X