Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of the spread of HomeSeer software in the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of the spread of HomeSeer software in the world?

Hello
    I took the liberty of launching this new topic to discuss a bit on the subject with who might be interested and not only obviously the owners of HomeSeer but also for them it could be useful to listen to these thoughts. My reflection is this: we in Italy as a HomeSeer dealer but as I think in many other countries in the world we have the issue of the low market penetration capacity of this product which would allow us to work much more. I asked myself what are the limits to this large-scale diffusion of such an interesting product with incredible potential: In Italy the issue is primarily cultural in nature and this is clear because there is little diffusion of knowledge of the benefits brought by the use of home automation products in people even if there are many incentives for the Italian state to try to promote these energy-saving tools; in addition to this I would like to propose a reflection on the sales method of this product and here is the center of the discussion that I would like to highlight. In my opinion, a company like HomeSeer should first of all aim at this time to the planetary diffusion of this product and obtain a revenue not from the sale of the basic software but rather derive its revenue from other things and here I try to explain myself better by doing this hypothesis: 1) Put the software on the market for free; 2) Request a mandatory annual fee between $ 50 and $ 100 to access the forum; 3) Continue to make plugins pay even 10% more. In this way, with point 1 the dealers would be able to be stronger on the market to offer the product; point 2 is at the center of the problem but I believe that the real value of HomeSeer is precisely in his forum which I see as a place of "extended assistance" between all the members and the central place which is HomeSeer technicians; the third point I think it would not be a problem for anyone to pay a little more for plugins that still have to guarantee smooth operation and continuous assistance. To date there are on the forum, I think about 8000 members, this number should increase quickly otherwise you risk extinction in a short time. The benefit of this evolution hypothesized by me is for everyone: for the owners of HomeSeer who in a long time can manage the economic returns; for dealers who see the product spread more in their market; for end-users who approach the product for free and share the annual payment over time because they see the benefit directly. A greeting to all the HomeSeer staff whom I thank for his professionalism and to all the members of the forum who are always very available to discuss any issue. Thanks
    Massimo-RenderCAD

Originally posted by RenderCAD View Post
    Hello
    I took the liberty of launching this new topic to discuss a bit on the subject with who might be interested and not only obviously the owners of HomeSeer but also for them it could be useful to listen to these thoughts. My reflection is this: we in Italy as a HomeSeer dealer but as I think in many other countries in the world we have the issue of the low market penetration capacity of this product which would allow us to work much more. I asked myself what are the limits to this large-scale diffusion of such an interesting product with incredible potential: In Italy the issue is primarily cultural in nature and this is clear because there is little diffusion of knowledge of the benefits brought by the use of home automation products in people even if there are many incentives for the Italian state to try to promote these energy-saving tools; in addition to this I would like to propose a reflection on the sales method of this product and here is the center of the discussion that I would like to highlight. In my opinion, a company like HomeSeer should first of all aim at this time to the planetary diffusion of this product and obtain a revenue not from the sale of the basic software but rather derive its revenue from other things and here I try to explain myself better by doing this hypothesis: 1) Put the software on the market for free; 2) Request a mandatory annual fee between $ 50 and $ 100 to access the forum; 3) Continue to make plugins pay even 10% more. In this way, with point 1 the dealers would be able to be stronger on the market to offer the product; point 2 is at the center of the problem but I believe that the real value of HomeSeer is precisely in his forum which I see as a place of "extended assistance" between all the members and the central place which is HomeSeer technicians; the third point I think it would not be a problem for anyone to pay a little more for plugins that still have to guarantee smooth operation and continuous assistance. To date there are on the forum, I think about 8000 members, this number should increase quickly otherwise you risk extinction in a short time. The benefit of this evolution hypothesized by me is for everyone: for the owners of HomeSeer who in a long time can manage the economic returns; for dealers who see the product spread more in their market; for end-users who approach the product for free and share the annual payment over time because they see the benefit directly. A greeting to all the HomeSeer staff whom I thank for his professionalism and to all the members of the forum who are always very available to discuss any issue. Thanks
    Massimo-RenderCAD
    I think you would be better contacting the HS Team direct if you want them to reply as you will find that they are not on the board that often.

I believe that subscription-based HS has been discussed on the board before and there were many different views on this but I personally don't think that having to pay to be on the forum would work as this is not a dedicated support channel and there are paid subscriptions for that.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

I took the liberty of launching this new topic to discuss a bit on the subject with who might be interested and not only obviously the owners of HomeSeer but also for them it could be useful to listen to these thoughts.
      The business model of HomeSeer Technologies (HST) comes up regularly on this board, but it does not appear that HST management is inclined to discuss the topic in an open forum. Users, of course, have diverse opinions, but I have never seen any proposal that has gained any traction.

As others have noted, HST will probably be more interested in the opinions of a dealer regarding commercial opportunities in a setting that is more tailored to topics related to business plans and practicalities.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Guys, when someone new comes on the message board to politely present questions and ideas please do not immediately offend or offer condescending remarks. Posts have been moderated to remove such posts.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Sorry,
          I apologize if my ability to use the English language is quite low, I just hope everyone who criticized me understood the concept I wanted to express and I hope to have a dialogue open to all. I'll try to improve my knowledge of the language but my intention is not to annoy someone. Thanks
          Massimo-RenderCAD

Comment

You can only judge the success of a product by its longevity and if I’m not mistaken HS is 20 years old this year.

I don’t see any form of subscription model gaining traction among the user base or community but where I do see a possible revenue stream for a dealer is creating a turnkey solution for the ordinary user on the street.

Not every potential customer has the knowledge, wherewithal or the time to sit for hours on end tinkering with home automation software and that’s where you as a dealer come in.

You do the needs assessment and provide the solution and charge accordingly for your time and expertise. This combined with the sales of the relevant hardware could earn you a good income.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
              You can only judge the success of a product by its longevity and if I’m not mistaken HS is 20 years old this year.

I don’t see any form of subscription model gaining traction among the user base or community but where I do see a possible revenue stream for a dealer is creating a turnkey solution for the ordinary user on the street.

Not every potential customer has the knowledge, wherewithal or the time to sit for hours on end tinkering with home automation software and that’s where you as a dealer come in.

You do the needs assessment and provide the solution and charge accordingly for your time and expertise. This combined with the sales of the relevant hardware could earn you a good income.
              I concur. I suspect most forum users are hobbyists. Asking them to pay a fee to join a forum in which they are the primary source knowledge would probably not sit very well with them. I think it would simply result in one or more unofficial "HS users groups" popping up on other forums, thus diluting the knowledge base and making HS a less attractive product for it's core users.

Home automation on the level that is possible with HS is of very little interest to most consumers. Those who are interested often lack the technical savvy or the time to make a product like HS do what the require it to do. Those who choose to have a product professionally installed cannot be expected to visit a forum for product support. Such support is the only real value that a professional systems integrator brings to the table.

Comment

. . .where I do see a possible revenue stream for a dealer is creating a turnkey solution for the ordinary user on the street.

I agree.
                From my perspective, HS was designed to serve serious HA hobbyists, and requires considerable time and attention, first to learn to use the software, then to become familiar with it's strengths and weakness and become proficient applying and maintaining it. Although HST is trying to adjust the product to better serve non-hobbyist users, there is still a long ways to go.

RenderCAD By creating a pseudo standard architecture based on the capabilities of HS, then augmenting it with select features - that you thoroughly understand - to allow you to meet the unique needs of individual clients, it seems to me you could create a base product offering with enhancements that would both satisfy a broad range of customers and allow you to reduce the nearly infinite variety of combinations enabled by HS to something that you could profitably install and support.

(By the way, your use of English is impressive, especially compared to my zero capability to us Italian. Thank you for sharing your ideas.)
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Sorry,
                  I apologize if my ability to use the English language is quite low, I just hope everyone who criticized me understood the concept I wanted to express and I hope to have a dialogue open to all. I'll try to improve my knowledge of the language but my intention is not to annoy someone. Thanks
                  Massimo-RenderCAD
                  No need to apologize and I'm sorry for the initial rude comments.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    Guys, when someone new comes on the message board to politely present questions and ideas please do not immediately offend or offer condescending remarks. Posts have been moderated to remove such posts.
                    Did you clearly read and understand my posts especially the first one? Or did you remove them in order to appease the abusers? While you're away, I was the one keeping the peace.
                    Now the next abuser will do the same not knowing that there some out there who stand up for the helpless. I hope Uncle Michael should have advised you about that because I had two times he jumped in into my posts and for sure he didn't do that this time. You could have removed the ones which were about the abusers but not my first post because you don't like my diabolical ideas! Shame!

Eman.
                    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Nokia? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
                        Nokia? ;-)
                        Not that bad with a profit of 18 million last year.

---

John

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

Not that bad with a profit of 18 million last year.

---

John
                          Only a glimpse of what it was. In 2017 a share was worth more than 27 euro. Now a bit more than 4 ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post

Only a glimpse of what it was. In 2017 a share was worth more than 27 euro. Now a bit more than 4 ;-)
                            I will do it for 18 million

---
                            John

Comment

Hello...A greeting to all the HomeSeer staff whom I thank for his professionalism and to all the members of the forum who are always very available to discuss any issue. Thanks
                              Massimo-RenderCAD
                              Greetings to you as well. I'm relatively new to HomeSeer but not to Home Automation. I was a founding partner in two Home Automation / Systems integration companies, so I can appreciate your perspective. When I was active in those companies I would have loved to have had a product that I could re-brand as my own. If I were a systems integrator using HomeSeer my "Wish List" would include the ability to limit the end-user access to the programing of the system and the ability to insert my own company logo and contact information on the splash screens and interfaces that are presented to the end user.

If I were asked to make a recommendation to the Grand Poohbah at HS it would be to use HS3 as a base for a rock solid LTS Dealer Version of the software and offer it only as an incorporated application on specified hardware. I would include plug-ins to support the devices professionals most often use in the field. Global Cache would be a must. A URC RF interface would be a dream (but a long shot, I suppose). I'd recommend a configurable GUI that the dealer could modify to support his or her brand, and I would give the dealer the ability to decide the level of programing to which their customer has access. I would make this product available only to dealers, and include minimum purchase agreements to maintain dealer status. I would create a "dealer only" forum where professionals could share their tips and techniques away from the prying eyes of the hobbyists, while still allowing dealers to access the public forums for ideas and information. I would include a minimum annual purchase requirement to maintain dealer status to prevent the 15 year old in mom's basement from becoming a dealer. I create a free user interface for the product that was accessible on Tivo, Kodi, Firestick, etc.

I am very truly yours "Alex" RESIma, ETA, CEA/TIA

None of which means squat, really, I just like to write it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X