Question about smart light bulbs and power failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about smart light bulbs and power failure

I have a large number of zigbee light bulbs and none of other technologies (z-wave, wifi). Often at my home, there can be very brief power outages. When power at my home goes off and then comes on again, all zigbee bulbs light up brightly and need to be turned off. This is not a good thing, especially if it is in the middle of the night or when we are away. My question is: Do smart light bulbs of other technologies behave similarly when power is lost and then restored? Thanks. Elliott
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Originally posted by Richel View Post
    I have a large number of zigbee light bulbs and none of other technologies (z-wave, wifi). Often at my home, there can be very brief power outages. When power at my home goes off and then comes on again, all zigbee bulbs light up brightly and need to be turned off. This is not a good thing, especially if it is in the middle of the night or when we are away. My question is: Do smart light bulbs of other technologies behave similarly when power is lost and then restored? Thanks. Elliott
    Tuya light bulbs behave the same.

As mitigation action I wrote scripts to montor the power outage signals and act accordingly.

For an automated home it will be good practice to simulate a power recovery test at least 2 times a year simulating all modes in a year time frame.

---
    John

Comment

Can't vouch for other vendors but all my Fibaros have a parameter to configure whether they power up in their last state, off, or on.

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

Tuya light bulbs behave the same.

As mitigation action I wrote scripts to montor the power outage signals and act accordingly.

For an automated home it will be good practice to simulate a power recovery test at least 2 times a year simulating all modes in a year time frame.

---
        John
        John: Thanks. Can you educate me on how to do the simulation? Elliott
        "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
          Can't vouch for other vendors but all my Fibaros have a parameter to configure whether they power up in their last state, off, or on.
          Thanks. I will look to see if I can do this, too, with my zigbee bulbs. I have several brands. Elliott

Comment

Tuya or other bulbs/devices flashed with Tasmota don't have such issues and can also be configured for custom behavior on power fail/restart.

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
              Tuya or other bulbs/devices flashed with Tasmota don't have such issues and can also be configured for custom behavior on power fail/restart.
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

John: Thanks. Can you educate me on how to do the simulation? Elliott
                It is not a real simulation but a test.

There are a lot of scenarios possible. For example break the main circuit, break one or multiple sub circuits. Break the circuits during the evening, morning, night.

Will everything recover after breaking the main circuit.? Is all communication there? is there data loss? are the confogs still correct, will it result in unsafe situations? Is the UPS working as expected.

Do a duration test of the UPS with or without a main circuit break.

A lot of scenarios are possible.

You will profit from the testing when you are from home and it happens. Of course you will only profit in case you did mitigate the iissues/risks.

---
                John

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

It is not a real simulation but a test.
                  You will profit from the testing when you are from home and it happens. Of course you will only profit in case you did mitigate the iissues/risks.

---
                  John
                  Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X