Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup Script/Plugin

Hi,

Does anybody have a backup script or plugin they would mind sharing, I have seen the circular backup script and the rotating backup script, they do nearly what I want apart from I would like them to write to a virtual device to tell me that the backup completed, at what time and if it was a success.

Any help greatly appreciated

Lance
    Lance

Ever since I installed doo motion the other day, my rotating backup comes up with an error every morning when I wake up. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to fix it? It is something in winzip that is happening. I think the backup still worked, but I don't want to have errors. If there is a fix, please let me know. Also if anyone does know a way to have hs let me know if the backup was succesfull and what time is completed I would appreciate it. thanks.

Comment

The Rotating backup is the best backup script that I have come across. It not only backs up everything in the HS folder, it cleans up after itself and deletes the oldest backups when new ones are created.

In the Rotating script itself, it would not be possible to check if the backup was successful. When it runs, it starts winzip, and within a second or 2 the script itself ends, leaving winzip to do its work in the background.

A small script that would run AFTER the backup would be needed. Say you have the backup happen at 3:00am. Create a device to run at 3:30 PM, and check to see if the file exists in the backup's destination path. The filename is saved with the date at the beginning. You would just need to check if there is a file in the destination with the current date as the filename.

You mentioned you also want the time that the backup was completed. You could either use 3:10 as a good estimate, as winzip takes about 10 minutes to compresss everything, for me at least with the size of my HS folder. The other alternative, and much more precise, would to code a few lines in the script, mentioned above, and read the date and time the file was created. If you want to get really creative, you could also do a date compare using the 3:00 AM when it started, and the file creation date/time and tell exactly how long the backup took.
      Last edited by johnwpb; November 25, 2004, 04:23 AM.
      Visit My Home Seer Site at:
      www.JohnWPB.com
      Created with LCARS

Comment

Check to see if a backup was successful....

Ok, after thinking about this a bit more, I figgured it would be something VERY handy to have. So, 2 1/2 hours later, I just finished writing the script and will post it to the script forum.
        Visit My Home Seer Site at:
        www.JohnWPB.com
        Created with LCARS

Comment

John - Your a star thank you - It's very much appreciated
          Lance

Comment

I have been using the rotating backup script for a while now and now that I split up my homeseer and home theater duties to two computers I was wondering if the script can backup the stuff I want on the machine that isn't running Homeseer? I am assumming I would have to tell it the address of the other computer but I'm not sure of the syntax if it is even possible.

Thanks.

Comment

sonypoolplr,
              All you need to do is add a line like:
              Backup"\\Cmc3075712-a\c$\wdisplay", "WeatherDisplay"

The \\ Is a unc path and works on Xp Pro and WinNT and assumes the user is logged on with an administrator account on both machines. If this doesn't work you can always map a network drive to the machine and then use the mapped networked drives letter in the backup path. Make sure when you map the drive you select the reconnect drive option on the form.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Attached is the error I have been getting from the backup program. Has anyone else experienced this?
                Attached Files

Comment

Yep - and have duly ignored!!! As I couldnt really see how to get round it, HS is open when the script fires so is bound to have some files open.

Would like to know if anybody has got round it thiugh.
                  Lance

Comment

You will always get an error if any of the files you're trying to backup are in use. The only way to get an error free backup is to shut down HS, do the backup and then restart HS. This shouldn't be too hard to add to the script.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                    X