System Setup- Tech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Setup- Tech?

Anybody on here I could hire to help me and consult with what equipment I'd need to get my system up and running? Thanks.

A lot of folks will be happy to chime in. Lets start with what your goal is? What do you want to automate? When I started I bought one switch to play around with, then expanded my system from there. I picked my protocol based on the physical appearance and operation of the available switches. There are a variety of protocols available. X10, UPB, zigbee, zwave. I happen to prefer zwave, but each protocol has it's pros and cons.
    HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
    Number of Devices: 1005
    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Thank you.

Here's my list.

So very confused as to which control and/or automation will do what I need at the cheapest price. DIY’s like MyServer, Homseer or something less robust.
      The following is what my system will consist of:
      1. 6 TV’s wired for video distribution
      2. 4 exterior CCTV cameras 2 indoor
      3. Security System
      4. Smart lighting switches(getting Caseta) to control 8 rooms inside home
      5. Wired(or wired) shades
      6. 5 rooms wired with speakers 2 in each room except one will have 4.
      7. Landscape lighting
      8. 2 wall tablets for user interface/control of system
      Here’s the biggest things I want to be able to do
      1. Set “scenes” where I can press( or say) a particular command and certain lights come on, shades open or close, TV turns on and particular room music comes on etc. Can the more budget friendly systems do this? I know controlling each system separately is easily done by google/Alexa/apps.
      2. Voice command lights to turn on when I walk in room.
      3. Voice command music to start playing through speakers in particular room.
      4. Voice command temperature setting.

Comment

unfortunately I'm not really a budget kinda guy so I can't comment on relative costs.

Caseta is an interesting choice. It appears to use a proprietary protocol meaning you're going to be locked into that one manufacture of products. The biggest downside is that it's not uncommon for home automation companies to disappear leaving you with items that are no longer supported. From glancing at their website the pro is that it appears they include just about everything on your wishlist including shade control (looks like you have to purchase Lutron Serena® wireless shades for that), lighting, and voice control through siri, google, and alexa. You'll need to purchase their hub to utilize those features. I'd suggest the pro version of the hub as it seems to have more functionality and supports additional protocols for when you want to expand. Logitech harmony hub is compatible with caseta and will allow control of your tv. It appears they also integrate with sonos.

This is not an ecosystem I would personally invest in, however there are many ways to get the job done and this is certainly one of them.
        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
        Number of Devices: 1005
        Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
          6 TV’s wired for video distribution
          Not exactly sure what you mean there, TV's don't distribute video, video is distributed to the TV. If that's what you meant, the best bet would be a Harmony Hub/remote and a Global Cache for IR control. The problem would be for 6 TV's you'd need 6 hubs if you want to control all of them. The GC would allow you to receive IR commands in HS so you can have lights, blinds or anything else controllable 'activate' when you turn on/off a TV.

4 exterior CCTV cameras 2 indoor
          Blue Iris would probably be the most recommended here.

Security System
          DSC would be a good choice

Smart lighting switches(getting Caseta) to control 8 rooms inside home
          Many options, I would recommend UPB. I'm sure you'll get a lot more recommendations

Wired(or wired) shades
          A lot of options popping up for window treatments. Somfy, Zwave, Zigbee. Take your pick.

5 rooms wired with speakers 2 in each room except one will have 4.
          Sonos if you wanna spend the money, Russound would be cheaper but you'll have to run wires.

Landscape lighting
          This would be the same as you choose for interior lighting protocol

2 wall tablets for user interface/control of system
          Android tablets with wall mounts

Here’s the biggest things I want to be able to do
          HS will do all of the things you want to do.

Comment

thanks so much. so what's the definitve/basic hardware /software have to buy from homeseet to get my lighting/ audio going.

Comment

This one is hard to answer.............

I would first off ask you, how much time on your hands can you invest. Not taking into account the things you want to control. Why I ask is, although HomeSeer beats so many Home Automation systems out there, it will require you to contact HomeSeer directly for guidance. They would point you in the right direction of their suppliers to help you. Now, that service is not cheap.
              I would indeed recommend HomeSeer as your first choice. But the system was designed by Geeks for "Geeks". Now that takes you back to the point I mentioned about "Time" This is for your own sake to save you money!. The setup you have described is done by installers/ integrators for systems like Crestron,Savant and/or Control 4 and they don't stop there but continue to service charge you for additions you want added and call outs as well Now you do the math............. It's your calling!

Now back to business! .........Check out this guys thread who wanted to do things similar to much as you stated : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...tions?t=195417
              He may also chime in to help. And if you are comfortable with all the above (my post), you can come back ask more questions. And also promise you will but the HomeSeeer S6 Pro

To sum it up, the HomeSeer system is one you watch grow by starting small and learn to love if you put in time. You can have all the things you mentioned above in place and also not forget to install the cat cables including all other service wires to all locations as a start point. Make a written plan with notes for what goes where (You can also use drawings of you House plan and plot your ideas on it.

And you should reference this link for all things HomeSeer : https://homeseer.com/support-home/

But, if you don't like all what I mentioned above, watch this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azNK_Tgkb30 or this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IcfpSgZbno

Eman
              TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

thanks so much. so what's the definitve/basic hardware /software have to buy from homeseet to get my lighting/ audio going.
                Depends, do you already have a NAS of some sort? Something that can run a VM? If so, just use Ubuntu in a VM and you're set. HS will run in Linux using Mono.
                Do you want to create your own touch screen interfaces? If so, buy the Pro version which includes HSTouch for screen creation.
                Do you need more than 5 plugins? Sounds like you definitely would. If not, you can buy the Raspberry Pi version of HS, but my opinion, you need the Pro version.
                Then you need the interfaces for the protocols you choose.
                Zwave and Zigbee can both be controlled from the Nortek HUSBZB-1.
                A lot of the newer protocols do have IP interfaces so that helps instead of using serial interfaces, for which you would need serial to usb converters.
                it all depends of which devices you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Demusman View Post

Depends, do you already have a NAS of some sort? Something that can run a VM? If so, just use Ubuntu in a VM and you're set. HS will run in Linux using Mono.
                  Do you want to create your own touch screen interfaces? If so, buy the Pro version which includes HSTouch for screen creation.
                  Do you need more than 5 plugins? Sounds like you definitely would. If not, you can buy the Raspberry Pi version of HS, but my opinion, you need the Pro version.
                  Then you need the interfaces for the protocols you choose.
                  Zwave and Zigbee can both be controlled from the Nortek HUSBZB-1.
                  A lot of the newer protocols do have IP interfaces so that helps instead of using serial interfaces, for which you would need serial to usb converters.
                  it all depends of which devices you choose.
                  thanks . what do you mean by NAS?

Comment

Network attached storage.
                    A Qnap, Synology, etc device.

Comment

what do you mean by NAS?

Start here and read all about : https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/DVA3219

Note : It will do all you want plus more!

Eman.

Comment

Ok, so If I buy the software(Pro prob) I need a controller for sure, correct? Homeseer controller?

Comment

Ok, so If I buy the software(Pro prob) I need a controller for sure, correct? Homeseer controller?
                          If you buy the software it runs on either Windows or Linux.
                          If by controller you're referring to the Hometroller or whatever it's called, no, you don't need it.
                          The difference is this devices are a hardware/software combo. So if you don't have a computer or NAS to run the software on, you will need one.
                          You can either go with a Hometroller (or whatever it's called), a raspberry pi model, or just your own PC. You don't buy both, the software and hardware. The hardware sold by HS already had the software installed.
                          If by controller you mean something else then you'll need to be more specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Demusman View Post

If you buy the software it runs on either Windows or Linux.
                            If by controller you're referring to the Hometroller or whatever it's called, no, you don't need it.
                            The difference is this devices are a hardware/software combo. So if you don't have a computer or NAS to run the software on, you will need one.
                            You can either go with a Hometroller (or whatever it's called), a raspberry pi model, or just your own PC. You don't buy both, the software and hardware. The hardware sold by HS already had the software installed.
                            If by controller you mean something else then you'll need to be more specific.
                            ok thanks. and I truly do appreciate everyone s help. so I'll but the software . is there any standard hardware that I'll have to have in my rack to get started ?

Comment

ok thanks. and I truly do appreciate everyone s help. so I'll but the software . is there any standard hardware that I'll have to have in my rack to get started ?
                              Are you a big hitter? You have not revealed yourself!

If you really like some crazy stuff, just ask!
                              Check this out : https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RS3617xs+#specs You should look for a combination device which will multitask everything including streaming your media.

There are some of them with 4Bays but look for the one with Intel CPU (Best if iHD)

Eman.

Comment

Working...
                              X