J-box mounted touch screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J-box mounted touch screens

It's been a long, long time since I last lived in a house that would allow automation. We are finally beginning the design of our new (and final!) house, and I'm trying to jump back in. I stumbled upon this today (www.brilliant.tech) and while I'm not interested in the SW aspect, that gang mounted touch screen would seem to be just the ticket for around the house. Does anyone know of a similar HW? A single gang or double gang mounted monitor would be awesome. Thanks!

The Wink Relay https://www.amazon.com/Wink-PRLAY-WH.../dp/B01MRD8UVA is also a single gang touchscreen android device. No longer made, but probably available as this Amazon link shows. Technically the faceplate is double gang as it includes 2 switches to the side. Easy to root and run HSTouch on.

Comment

It might look nice but do you really want to limit yourself to something that fits into a single or double gang? You are really limiting your options not just now but also in the future. I would use a regular tablet instead.

Comment

Originally posted by kwaugh View Post
        It's been a long, long time since I last lived in a house that would allow automation. We are finally beginning the design of our new (and final!) house, and I'm trying to jump back in. I stumbled upon this today (www.brilliant.tech) and while I'm not interested in the SW aspect, that gang mounted touch screen would seem to be just the ticket for around the house. Does anyone know of a similar HW? A single gang or double gang mounted monitor would be awesome. Thanks!
        I don't believe Brilliant would work with HomeSeer? And you don't want to be limited to a single manufacturer for a display. The best solution is a generally available wireless tablet(best is PC based because you have HS "Speaker" capability, second best is Android with HSTouch including HS "Speaker" and lowest cost, third best is Apple and HS Touch.
        There are several manufacturers of wall mount adapters that will fit over a single/double gang outlet where you can derive power for the tablet.

Just curious: What did you mean by "a house that would (not) allow automation"?

Comment

To add to my previous post, in my case I replaced the thermostat with a tablet. I used the wiring from the thermostat to supply 5V to the tablet. So there is only a small hole in the wall for that wire plus a couple more screw holes for the mounting bracket. If I ever want to ban the tablet because everything moved to voice commands then it's a very easy wall patch. The thermostat was moved to where the HAVC systems are.

Comment

Bob - we were in a few short term houses as we prepare for the build of our final house. Currently, we have the old 1905 farmhouse that will eventually be torn down after we build. I also have an apartment in the "city" for work purposes. It's a rental, and given the current state of the world, I'm not up there too much.

Thanks for all the posts - I should have been clearer. I do plan on having access to tablets, phones etc for HA, but like the idea of walking by a mounted touch screen to turn on a light, check a camera, volume adjustment etc.

In our first house, I had a 7 inch industrial windows CE panel mount touch screen in the wall of my office that I used.

Very glad to see that HS is still so active. I had quite a bit of time/energy invested in Girder and NetRemote. I loved the power I had to build touch systems and really got into lua. Looking forward to seeing what the HS tools can do as we go forward.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi kwaugh , interesting to see another refugee from the now defunct Girder; had also invested a lot in the platform until they closed consumer business...
              I've just migrated the last few things I had in Girder/Netremote last week; now fully HS/Hstouch.
              Very different approach/platform vs Girder; steep learning curve but well supported / very active forum.
              If you are into custom tablets/interfaces, HStouch offers great potential.
              Feel free to reach out if needed.
              Cheers,

Yann

Comment

i am still using Girder for computer to computer automation, I do miss netremote/ mediabridge to control Jrivers

Comment

I don't know your exact usage for media but have a look at WACUP (aka Winamp) + Jon00's associated PI. With jon00 (Thank you ) and DrO's (WACUP) support, I've deployed a great HSTouch platform for audio/video/viz (Milkdrop) management. I will try to post a write up later. Let me know if you have any questions or if you want to validate features availability. I did a lot of customization work on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X