Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to move HS to new machine

Hi,

I'm going to move HS tonight to a new machine, I have read all the threads and the KB article that Rick wrote, but has anybody got any last minute advice?

I'm going from SBS 2003 server to XP Pro.

Thanks
    Lance

.....Beer.

Comment

What ever you do make sure you backup your entire HS directory. Are you using a W800?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Lance, Just moved Homeseer from my old Win 98Se computer to the new Win XP - Media Center PC. I did not have any trouble except for with my HSPhone. I had a complete copy of the Homeseer directory in a backup directory. Once I got the new system hooked up, I reloaded the newest version of the Homeseer and HSPhone software from the Updater and then just copied the the backup Homeseer directory back into the new system. This even fixed the problems I was having with the Homeseer Web Page. Good luck. SHould be a piece of cake.

Comment

Skibum - Have just been down the shop, have now got lots of beer, whatever happens at least I'm going to be happy!!!

Rupp - Yep I installed the W800 yesterday on my old PC as I just wanted to test, why!!!!

Samsonib - Lets hopw mine goes as smoothly!!!
          Lance

Comment

lancenorton,
            The W800 stores it's data in the registry. So it's fairly hard to backup.

Comment

Rupp - So a fresh install of the W800? I haven't actually customised it too much as I knew it would be moving.
              Lance

Comment

Well I am always the guy that reads the instructions last. Can someone tell me where the KB articles are? I've attempted to move HS to a new machine but I've managed to screw it up. HS starts fine, but my current devices cannot be found. Also - when attempting to update from 1.7 to 1.7x the updater tries to update the old file location (even though I've changed the param in the ini file).

Time to punt.........

Comment

Shawn,
                  Here you go:
                  http://www.homeseer.com/cgi-bin/helpdesk/kb.cgi

lancenorton,

Yes if you haven't done a lot of customization.

Comment

Thanks Rupp, I really appreciate the pointer. I've already got my snafu's fixed, works like a champ.

It's a night and day difference running HS on a 2.8gig CPU compared to the (gulp) 350Mhz machine it has been on for the past four years. The words yippee and holy-smokes occur to me!

Shawn

Comment

USB-UIRT info is stored in the registry too. You'll need to back that up too if you're using it.
                      I upgraded my Win2k box to XP this weekend. Well, more like backed everything up, wiped the machine, and did a fresh install. Moving HS over was no problem at all. Once I did a little bit of hacking at the registry file I saved before I could import it I can send all of my IR commands that I could before but had some problems triggering IR events until I retaught those buttons. Everything is fine now.
                      Hope yours goes as smoothly!

Comment

Installed my trial version of Homeseer over the weekend and going through my "Holy Toledo, this Homeseer thing is great!" period. Right now I am running on an old PII 366 Mhz laptop.

I am considering moving it to one of my 2 WinXP Pro machines for permanent setup. How well does Homeseer work on a machine that is being used for other daily tasks? I do some 3d graphics work on one of the machines that can get pretty cpu intensive. Does stuff like that affect HS at all?

Terry

Comment

Well apart from taking 7 hours to get the O/S on the machine (crap EIDE cable on CD-ROM, unfortunatly it was the last thing I checked), the actual HS move went without a glitch, only one problem having problems getting my 1-Wire to work, but apart from that all is good.

Thanks Rick of the KB article, and thanks Skibum the Beer was definatly needed!!
                          Lance

Comment

tpriest

It is my opinion that HS is best left to it's own machine. (Along with perhaps a netcam, mail, and weather station) If you are going to do intensive stuff, leave that to a different box.

Comment

Lance:

Beer - GOOD.

Comment

Working...
                              X