Best Z-Wave Smart-Lock for HS3/HS4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Z-Wave Smart-Lock for HS3/HS4?

Looking for the best Z-Wave Smart-Lock out there. What are you guys using? What is recommended by HomeSeer?

I'm looking for something that has:

* Ability to create unique codes for trusted users.
    * Create random momentary codes for one-time use only.
    * Reports any tampering of the lock.
    * Auto relock for when you close the door after entering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I've been using the first generation kwikset locks for years...and I like them a lot. You can do what you're after with these locks...mostly. I'm actually considering upgrading to their latest Z-wave Plus locks, which look exactly the same but are using the the latest Z-Wave Plus chipsets and have a greater custom code capacity. I love the fact that there are physical buttons on the keypad for these locks and that they are backlit with both green and red colors for feedback. Replacing physical buttons with "touchscreen" buttons, as some of the new locks are doing, is an example of form-over-function. They look pretty but they require you to tie your sense of touch behind your back and limit your interaction with the device controls to visual only. (I feel this same way about car radios...whoever thought it was a good idea to replace radio preset buttons with a touch screen and then bury them in a submenu so that one cannot operate it without taking their eyes off the road should be smacked.)

Yes. The old locks that I use only allow for 3 custom user codes but the new locks are documented as allowing for 30. With the old locks' limit, I just have events setup in HS to automatically create custom codes for specific guests when I activate various levels on a guest-mode virtual device. This works out well as it deletes all guest codes when the guest-mode level is set to 0, which i have designated as Guest-Mode-Off. I'll probably keep that functionality in place if I upgrade to the newer locks even though the locks have the ability to store 30 unique codes.

Kind of. There's no such thing as a momentary code on the Kwikset. You have to manage the creation and deletion of codes on your own but because the lock reports to homeseer when a specific code is entered, you could potentially build an event that creates a one-time use code and then deletes that code the first time it has been used. The randomizing part of that could get tricky and would probably require some custom scripting but you could easily do this with a pre-determined code without scripting.

Yes. When invalid codes are entered, the lock does a long series of beeps while flashing the keypad numbers red *and* it reports back to HS. I have events specifically triggered by this to play a short siren sound on the whole-house-audio and to send a notification to my phone to indicate which lock is being fiddled with. There isn't any such functionality for the physical key hole on the lock though, so if someone is trying to pick the lock old-school style, then there's be no notification.

Yes. This is optional functionality that you can turn on at the lock. BUT it has no knowledge of the unlock context (ie it doesn't know when a door is opened or closed, only when the lock is unlocked). I find this feature annoying because it auto-locks fairly quickly after the lock has been unlocked. So, when you open the door to get your food delivery and it's open while you pay and exchange money, etc...the lock will lock itself, which means you have to unlock it again before you close the door, after which you then have to re-lock it once the door is closed again. This auto-lock functionality doesn't have an adjustable time-out, at least not on the older locks. I have this feature turned off at the lock and have instead implemented the feature as a homeseer event that not only looks at the length of time the lock has been unlocked but also looks at the status of the door hinge and will not attempt an auto-lock until after the door is closed.

Comment

I have a Schlage, a Yale, and a Kwikset. I really like the Yale due to it being Z-Wave Plus. The only one I am not sure about is how it handles tampering...
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I have a Schlage Z-Wave lever lock and a Yale deadbolt. I've had that Schlage for a LONG time and it works fine.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I'm really glad to see that people have luck with the Schlage locks as all our locks at the home are normal Schlage and the keys are all keyed the same. I'd hate to have 2 sets of different keys and convert to Kwikset. As of about 5 months ago, Home Depot carried the Schlage ZWave locks in their stores but they stopped carrying them, probably because of nut much interest in a super expensive lock if you are not an HA person. I was curious if Schlage still makes and will support their Z-Wave locks?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by IKUS View Post
            I've been using the first generation kwikset locks for years...and I like them a lot. You can do what you're after with these locks...mostly. i'm actually considering upgrading to their latest Z-wave Plus locks, which look exactly the same but are using the the latest Z-Wave Plus chipsets and have a greater custom code capacity. I love the fact that there are physical buttons on the keypad for these locks and that they are backlit with both green and red colors for feedback. Replacing physical buttons with "touchscreen" buttons, as some of the new locks are doing, is an example of form-over-function. They look pretty but they require you to tie your sense of touch behind your back and limit your interaction with the device controls to visual only. (I feel this same way about car radios...whoever thought it was a good idea to replace radio preset buttons with a touch screen and then bury them in a submenu so that one cannot operate it without taking their eyes off the road should be smacked.)

Yes. The old locks that I use only allow for 3 custom user codes but the new locks are documented as allowing for 30. With the old locks' limit, I just have events setup in HS to automatically create custom codes for specific guests when I activate various levels on guest-mode virtual device. This works out well as it deletes all guest codes when the guest-mode level is set to 0, which i have designated as Guest-Mode-Off. I'll probably keep that functionality in place if I upgrade to the newer locks even though the locks have the ability to store 30 unique codes.

Kind of. There's no such thing as a momentary code on the Kwikset. You have to manage the creation and deletion of codes on your own but because the lock reports to homeseer when a specific code is entered, you could potentially build an event that creates a one-time use code and then deletes that code the first time it has been used. The randomizing part of that could get tricky and would probably require some custom scripting but you could easily do this with a pre-determined code without scripting.

Yes. When invalid codes are entered, the lock does a long series of beeps while flashing the keypad numbers red *and* it reports back to HS. I have events specifically triggered by this to play a short siren sound on the whole-house-audio and to send a notification to my phone to indicate which lock is being fiddled with. There isn't any such functionality for the physical key hole on the lock though, so if someone is trying to pick the lock old-school style, then there's be no notification.

Yes. This is optional functionality that you can turn on at the lock. BUT it has no knowledge of the unlock context (ie it doesn't know when a door is opened or closed, only when the lock is unlocked). I find this feature annoying because it auto-locks fairly quickly after the lock has been unlocked. So, when you open the door to get your food delivery and it's open while you pay and exchange money, etc...the lock will lock itself, which means you have to unlock it again before you close the door, after which you then have to re-lock it. This auto-lock functionality doesn't have an adjustable time-out, at least not on the older locks. I have this feature turned off at the lock and have instead implemented the feature as a homeseer event that not only looks at the length of time the lock has been unlocked but also looks at the status of the door hinge and will not attempt an auto-lock until after the door is closed.
            Thank you so much for the very detailed reply!. Really appreciate you taking the time.

Can you point me to the updated Z-Wave Plus version of the Kwikset Lock?

Comment

here you go https://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-99100...5512957&sr=8-3
              HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
              53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
              https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Another unique feature of the Kwikset locks is their "Smart Key" system for the physical key. This allows you as the end user to actually re-key the physical key part of the lock to accept the key of any other Kwikset lock that you have. Even if you have an old non-Smart Kwikset lock for which you have a physical key, you can "reprogram" your new Kwikset lock's physical key hole to work with that key. Of course if you have no other Kwikset locks you can just pick one of your new lock's physical keys, and re-key all your other new locks to use that key. This is a very nice feature that allows you to have 1 backup key without dealing with a locksmith or one of the those key machines at your local hardware store.

Comment

Thanks! Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by IKUS View Post
                    Another unique feature of the Kwikset locks is their "Smart Key" system for the physical key. This allows you as the end user to actually re-key the physical key part of the lock to accept the key of any other Kwikset lock that you have. Even if you have an old non-Smart Kwikset lock for which you have a physical key, you can "reprogram" your new Kwikset lock's physical key hole to work with that key. Of course if you have no other Kwikset locks you can just pick one of your new lock's physical keys, and re-key all your other new locks to use that key. This is a very nice feature that allows you to have 1 backup key without dealing with a locksmith or one of the those key machines at your local hardware store.
                    That actually sounds pretty cool.

Thanks for the info!.

Comment

+1 for the kwikset locks. Note that some models have 5 keys, and some have a full 10. I prefer the 10 key versions. Also note that it looks like in some areas they've been rebranded as Weiser SmartCode locks, but I'm pretty sure they're the same lock....

Comment

No contest, Schlage are simply the best at the around $200 or less price point.

When I did my initial research:

* Only residential Zwave+ locks that are ANSI Grade 1 for physical security.
                        * Has all the features the poster asked for, including physical tampering detection, ie, someone tries to push in the door. Different sensitivity settings. Alarm is built right into the lock.
                        * All Zwave programmable parameters and status monitoring codes are fully documented and available.

Hope this helps,

-TC1

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

* Has all the features the poster asked for, including physical tampering detection, ie, someone tries to push in the door. Different sensitivity settings. Alarm is built right into the lock.
                          * All Zwave programmable parameters and status monitoring codes are fully documented and available.

Hope this helps,

-TC1
                          Yes t does, Thanks.. Now to go on the hunt for some...

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

Yes t does, Thanks.. Now to go on the hunt for some...
                            They're available *everywhere*, but i highly recommend Build dot Com. I got all mine from there, and they key them all alike for free. Customer service is top-notch and they will meet or beat any reasonable price.

https://www.build.com/schlage-electr...egoryId=109450

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Hope this helps,

-TC1
                              Thanks a lot for the information!

Comment

Working...
                              X