Backing up files to DVD-RW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing up files to DVD-RW

Has anyone written a script that has the ability to backup files on the hard drive to a DVD-RW disc without having to manually backup files to the DVD-RW using DVD Software.

I am wondering if there is a way to use a DVD-RW disc as another hard drive and back up files to it.

Hope this makes sense
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

My DVD RW shows up as just another drive on my system. I think direct CD does this.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Greg,

What version of DirectCD you using?
      Cheers,
      Bob
      Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Mine shows up as a removable drive as well using the Roxio Drag-to-Disc software that came with it.

Right now I'm just using a batch file that is executed by the Windows scheduler (not on my HS server) to do nightly backups. I found a useful little utility called "CDR" that will eject the disc, so at the end of my backup the disc is ejected.

I use a different disc for every night of the week and have them numbered, and I use an event in HomeSeer to remind my wife to swap the disc for the next days. (I work out of town so I can't do it myself.)

My plan is to move the scheduling of the backup over to HomeSeer. The problem with that is that the machine that does the backup is not the HomeSeer machine. The HS machine is in the basement in the wiring closet and the backup machine is my desktop in the upstairs office. So I found another utility called RexecJ that provides remote command execution capabilities. I'm in the process of getting that set up now. I also intend to use HomeSeer to schedule virus scans and disk defrags, etc.

The next step is to include an autorun file on the DVD-RW that copies the disc number to a common location so I can tell when the correct disc has been inserted and continue to "remind" my wife to swap the disc throughout the day, until it's swapped.

I would be happy to share my batch files or utilities and my scripts once I get them done. Just drop me an email.

Mick

Comment

Bob,
          I'm traveling currently so I can't check. Remind me and I'll check this weekend.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X