Broken Fiber Optic Cable - Project from H***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Fiber Optic Cable - Project from H***

The wiring project for my future boathouse has turned into the project from H***. Scope creep (only can blame myself), and multiple contractor issues. Home Depot shipping the wrong size pipe, another vendor shipping wrong fittings. Sunbelt Rental gave me the wrong trencher. Less than 2" of rain in the past 8 weeks and temps in the 90's, so the ground is like rock. Bizarre accident leaves a nasty wound on my leg so I can't get in the lake for 2 weeks. I finally get all the trenching done, and then we get 4" of rain in 3 days. Electrical inspector almost couldn't sign off because everything is under water. If my yard didn't look like it had been attacked by gophers on meth, I'd be tempted to just walk away for a couple weeks.

The killer problem came up yesterday. Three cat5e (NOT for ethernet) and a fiber optic cable is in conduit running 400' from the basement to a pump house near the lake. The ends for all of the above was sitting on the ground/floor while I finished up securing the conduit. Thunderstorm comes through with a 47 mph gust, slamming the door on the end of the fiber cable. The sheath is peeled back on one of the fibers, and as one end is longer than the other, so it's a good bet that it's broken.

Am I SOL? Google results are all over the map with one answer saying I need a high quality curing oven, while the next requires 4-5 special tools. Can I repair this myself or so I have to replace?

Fiber cable I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...h=1&pldnSite=1

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200724_171925.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	1405649Click image for larger version  Name:	20200724_171933.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.4 KB ID:	1405650
    My system is described in my profile.

That doesn't mean it's actually broke. Do you have a power meter? You'd have to actually take a light reading to see if it's still good.

Comment

No testing equipment for fiber. I'll be working on making the hole in the house foundation today (Ugh! 6000 PSI concrete), so I'll be able to connect both ends and see if the converters will link.

Another possibility is that one end is longer because the LC connector has pulled away from the fiber. That still leaves me in the same boat as I have to replace the connector.

Comment

You may be OK. The cable is OSP (outside plant) which is probably gel filled cable. The fiber is layed down in the sheath in a "S" pattern which allows for some expansion or contraction of the sheath. The 3 mm jacket may have just pulled away from the pvc tube. Hopefully. If that is the case you will still want to plug the hole where the fiber is exiting the pvc so the gel does not run out. If the fiber is broken you will need to splice the fiber not necessary to replace connector. Ether way you would need fiber strippers (some practice using them) and a mechanical splice or new LC pigtail connector.
        Only way to find out for sure if it is broken is to use a visual fault locator, power meter or just try it. Good luck
        Just out of curiosity why did you not buy OM3 or OM4 fiber cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Spudjr View Post
          Just out of curiosity why did you not buy OM3 or OM4 fiber cable.
          Extreme lack of a clue about what I'm doing when it comes to fiber.

Comment

Originally posted by JLehnert View Post

Extreme lack of a clue about what I'm doing when it comes to fiber.
            I am not sure what type of fiber converters you are using on each end, but there are single strand fiber converters that only need one strand of fiber. I have used single strand SFP modules and never had a problem. My local ISP's entire network is 100% fiber end-to-end and uses single strand from each house the to head end.

Comment

I'm still in shock, but it works! Both ends are pulled away like the picture above, but evidently nothing is broken. I've got an old AirCam hooked up to it and there's no indication of any network issues. Both ends are just laying on the floor at the moment, so I need to get that taken care of without doing any more damage. Also have a better camera and Ubiquiti switch to install at the lake end.

Whew! Bullet dodged!

Comment

Make sure you push the 3 mm jacket (orange jacket)back into the breakout and seal it up.

Comment

How do you seal it? With what?

Comment

Silicon would work Something that will make it water tight.

Comment

it may not be broke, but you really need a Visual Fault Locator (Ruby Light) which shoots a red laser through the fiber and if it comes out the connector, you're still good. stuff the fiber back in the sheath and silicone it back together preferably after confirming it's not broken. That's a Multi-Mode Fiber, so make sure your media converter is Multi-Mode.

Comment

Well this sucks. I disconnected it, stabilized the end to protect it, and then sealed it. Wait for everything to dry, plug it in, and nada.

I'm back to my original question. What's involved in replacing/repairing the connectors?

Comment

Are the connectors endface clean? Is Tx going to Rx and Rx to TX?

Comment

Originally posted by JLehnert View Post
                            Well this sucks. I disconnected it, stabilized the end to protect it, and then sealed it. Wait for everything to dry, plug it in, and nada.

I'm back to my original question. What's involved in replacing/repairing the connectors?
                            I would contact this guy for advise.
                            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...97#post1386697
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

I would contact this guy for advise.
                              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...97#post1386697
                              Good point. Forgot about him.

Comment

Working...
                              X