New House Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New House Questions

In my current house I am using an OMNI IIe with UPB lighting. I also use Homeseer to control a couple arduino boards. I also have a zwave thermostat and 1 light switch. Homesser is connected to my OMNI so I have Alexa/Google lighting controll.

I am moving into a new house and going to go with an Elk M1 panel. I am also going to be using the Homeseer WD200+ light swiches. What I am curious about is what system do I connect all the Zwave stuff to? Do I connect it all to the ELK and then connect Homeseer to it? Or use the Elk just for security and use Homeseer with all the Z wave stuff? Does it even matter?

Also if I connect the HS switches to the M1, do I lose the ability to control the LEDs on the switches?

Thoughts?

Thanks

If I were in this situation, I would have gone with the second option!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not familiar with the Elk but as you say it's main function is being a security system. HS's main function is being a home automation system. Your light switches, thermostat, etc fall under home automation and not security. So I would connect them to HS. HS very likely also gives you much higher flexibility for more advanced things you might want to do in the future.

Comment

Use the Elk for security and HS for automation. I have a similar setup but use a lot of insteon switches and some Z-wavw devices as well. Get the M1 plugin as it is useful to drive some events from the Elk. For instance, I have wired sensors on my garage doors that are connected to the security system, but they trigger lighting and other events on HS. I don't typically arm/disarm from homeseer (I could) but do check status from HSmobile.

Comment

I was already planning on purchasing the ELK M1 plugin..

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 838Joel View Post
            If I were in this situation, I would have gone with the second option!

Which second options are you referring to? I mentioned a couple of items. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Smartdave View Post

Which second options are you referring to? I mentioned a couple of items. Thanks
              use the Elk just for security and use Homeseer with all the Z wave stuff?

Comment

Agree with the sentiment. Use the Elk plugin to get information from the security system like movement and doors/window openings.

Are you moving out of Massachusetts? Building from scratch?
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                  Agree with the sentiment. Use the Elk plugin to get information from the security system like movement and doors/window openings.

Are you moving out of Massachusetts? Building from scratch?
                  Yeah.. Moving to CT.. Moving into an existing house.

Comment

Working...
                  X