Unable to send to CM11A/CM12U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to send to CM11A/CM12U

I get this error message in HS frequently. I may get 2 or 3 back to back, a couple of minutes apart, and then not see one for 3 hours. It doesn't seem to be related to any specific command or event. After a few minutes everything starts working again.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

PII 366 Mhz laptop
    Win98SE
    HS 1.7.29
    CM11A on Com 1
    W800RF32 serial-to-USB

TIA,
    Terry

The CM11A/CM12U uses a handshake protocol where a specific response is expected to confirm that the PC and the CM11A/CM12U are in sync. The CM11A/CM12U is not very tolerant, nor is it very friendly in letting the PC know what it is expecting. If they get out of sync then they will not regain it until the PC happens to provide the command that the CM11A/CM12 is expecting. This will typically be the start of a command sequence. The CM11A/CM12U also has some bad modes, such as wanting a clock setup sequence and will be dead to the world until this it receives a valid clock sequence. The PC is not usually expecting to need to send the clock setup. This situation will usually require that the CM11A/CM12U be unplugged and residual current allowed to disipate to reset it.

Comment

Michael,

Thanks for the details. I see this situation quite a bit with my CM11a and have to either "wait" for it to fix itself or (when I get really frustrated and impatient) unplug/re-plug it. BUT, I had that my situation would possibly improve if I went from the serial to the USB device. It sounds like that is probably not the case.

Comment

Bryan,
        You will never see those messages if you use a powerlinc USB device. I used to see those errors when using a CM11A. One thing I did notice a long time ago is that these messages were more prevalent with different versions of the HS.exe. Either way some CM11A's are simply better than others and generally when you start to see these errors it is an indicating the the CM11a is on it way out.
        Last edited by Rupp; November 26, 2004, 05:01 PM.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hey Rupp, hope all is well with you.
          Originally posted by Rupp
          You will never see those messages if you use a powerlinc USB device. I used to see those errors when using a CM11A. One thing I did notice a long time ago is that these messages were more prevalent with different versions of the HS.exe. Either way some CM11A's are simply better than others and generally when you start to see these errors it is an indicating the the CM11a is on it way out.
          Rupp, I am not getting these masseges refered to, what I am getting is "apparently" the CM12 passing a signal to HS, HS responding as it should, but the CM12 not sending it back out. I have also experienced a "traffic Jam" where HS will have run a few scripts in a matter of seconds, but it takes up to 5 or 10 mins before the result is seen.

Does changing to a powerlinc USB interface solve this?
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I run a CM11A as an xap node and I show a viewport, if desired, of the communications between the serial port and the CM11A. This gives a very good understanding of what state the CM11A is in at any time if some investigation is needed. I actually have both the CM11A and ocelot as my Homeseer X10 interface. Each one runs on an independent computer and plugged into different circuits. If you want to investigate further I can provide you with the CM11A xap node.

Only the CM11A/CM12U uses this specific handshake protocol. The USB powerlink is a totally different device. While I have never looked at its protocol I suspect it is different than the CM11A. Since it came after the CM11A they had the opportunity to not replicate a bad interface protocol.

It is just conjecture, but when things are delayed as much as Gogs indicates then it is likely that the handshake has been lost and timeout built into Homeseer come into play. Cascaded timeouts can add up to quite a delay. I suspect Homeseer queues the X10 request so any subsequent X10 commands will be placed at the end of the queue and may or may not eventually get out based upon the the ability to resync. The success rate is a function of how smart the PC side is made in trying to regain it. If the PC side is as dumb as the CM11A microcode then resync may be poor. It is a problem of characterizing the behavior of the CM11A and recognizing it at the PC end and taking the appropriate action based upon the behavior.

I can understand how the analog interface to the powerline can degrade over time. The digital interface over the serial interface to the PC really should no be subject to aging. Of course there could be a relationship between the two.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did as Michael suggested and unplugged my cm11a. I don't know how long it takes for the residual power to dissipate but it was unplugged for about 45 mins. I also rebooted the laptop. Now been running for over 7 hours without a single error. I had also noticed that sometimes when I received the error the system (CM11a?, HS?) would "catch up" and execute everything eventually. Other times it seemed to lose some commands.

I'm hoping I don't have to spring for a USB Powerlinc right away as I was testing around the house today and found I need at least 1 noise filter and a coupler/repeater. Not to mention motion detectors, lamp modules, etc. Oh yeah, and HS itself as I'm in my 30 day trial now.

Terry

Comment

So... the difference between the Powerlink USB and a CM11u is...?

Comment

Bryan,
                  They are simply 2 different X10 powerline interfaces. Just like Ford and Chevy. They are both cars but built differently. And the face that one is USB and the other is com port based.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Oh, I thought the CM11u (the "u" being the key here) was also USB. Didn't bother to actually look. And actually, I can't seem to find any such device....

Guess I'll order my Powerlink USB to increase my WAF by 15%

Comment

Bryan,

A typo is confusing you, I think. The powerline interface from X10 is the CM11A. That's the device I was having trouble with. I believe there is a CM12U which is the European equivalent to the CM11A.

Since I unplugged my CM11A and then restarted it and HS, I haven't had this error again in 4 days of continual running. Thanks Michael!

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by tpriest
                        Bryan,

A typo is confusing you, I think. The powerline interface from X10 is the CM11A. That's the device I was having trouble with. I believe there is a CM12U which is the European equivalent to the CM11A.

Since I unplugged my CM11A and then restarted it and HS, I haven't had this error again in 4 days of continual running. Thanks Michael!

Terry
                        You are correct the CM12U is the European spec. interface, although the CM11A will work over here under protest.
                        sigpic
                        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Ordered my PowerLink USB yesterday.
                          Terry... I find I often (at least once a week) had to unplug my CM11a. And one only knows how many time the CM11a was getting "bogged down" but I wasn't there to notice it. Enough of that. USB time! (well, if ZWave could replace the X10 palmpad remotes, 2 wire wall switches and motion sensors...I'd say bye bye X10)

Comment

Right now I am monitoring the HS log for errors. So far so good. When I need to replace the CM11A I'll go with a USB (probably Powerlinc) interface. But right now I've got motion sensors, wall switches, etc to buy. Just trying to figure out what needs to be done first (highest WAF, lowest cost).

Speaking of WAF, if X10 is not making the MS13A (indoor, white) motion detectors any longer, is there a suitable, lowcost replacement? The black motion detectors on a white wall has a zeroing effect on the WAF. Actually, I don't even like it.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X