clean move...NOT...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clean move...NOT...again

After the advice of many here, I did go ahead and upgrade my 98 box to XP Pro. Now , with multiple reinstalls, two different routers,two cables, three different network cards, a lot of R&D and A LOT of time, I can only achieve a file transfer rate of less than 10kbs! I have installed nothing else on this XP install, I can't even download HS because of time outs.
    I have done the "repair this connection" multiple times, and XP reports that everything is working and shows a connection rate of 100. I can't even move a file from one computer to another with out a time out.
    I remember someone here having the same problem (was it you Rupp?) and was wondering what you did to correct this after your upgrade.
    That one little error screen that I was getting on the 98 system is not looking that bad at all now!

Thanks ahead

Gemini,
    What PC hardware are you using? I had this problem where one of y PC would continually go off line and the fix was a new network card. I bought 3 of the Microsoft wireless G network cards from CompUSA for $9 each and used one in the machine that was giving me troubles and the problem was solved. You stated you have already tried different cards. Were they new? Is the PC new? Do you have the latest drivers?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You did an UPGRADE, or CLEAN INSTALL?

Comment

Ok here is where I am...

Still Very slow connection, internet and between computers. Less than 10kbs after just a few seconds on a download request.
        What I have done to this point..
        Computer is a MMX Pentium 233
        1997 Award Bios
        A clean fresh FDISKED drive with a complete install of XP Pro.
        2 different routers, Linksys # WRT54GS and # BEFSR41
        3 different NIC cards, 3Com,SMZ-EZ card, and one other RTL8139C based card (all known good)
        Different cables
        Stripped machine of all but hard drive and video card
        Tried different video card
        Cleared any possible "installs" at boot
        Removed USB card, both CD drives,disconnected all but the Hard drive and video card.
        System reports NO driver or hardware conflicts

Have I missed anything that I should be looking for ( other than another computer )
        Any suggestions???

Comment

IMHO
          You will never run WinXP Pro successfully on a Pentium 233.

Comment

Comment

do you have SP2 installed? If so check your firewall settings... there is also a section in the network that will do IP filtering that will cause this as well. This could also be an connection/cable/wiring problem, and I *have* seen two bad cables in a row, so when all else fails go back to basics.

Comment

Ok... enough! I have decided to pick up my marbles and go home!
                I was able to install and update HS ( 4 hour + download). I have everything running again so it is time to move on to other things for a while... but I am still open to suggestions.
                Thanks to those that did try to help.

Thanx, Rick

Comment

Working...
                X