Extending Z-wave outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extending Z-wave outside

I struggle to monitor my pool temperature - first using THWR800 Temperature Sensors but they have died and there is no replacement that I can see that works with the RFXCOM. Even though it sorta worked, do to the distance of the pool from my brick house, I would say it was about 60% reliable. I could have changed the intenna of the receiver, but never did.
    As an alternative, I thought I tried Z-wave and purchased a Fibrari door sensor with temperature reading using a DS18B20. However, it is even less reliable since where I would place it is about 80 feet from the back wall of my house. I have a number of z-wave devices inside - in fact just on the finished wall of my family room (the other side of th brick wall).
    What can I use to extend the Z-wave? I do have a plug under my deck, but it would only reduce the distance of 15 feet and the extender would need to handle outdoor weather. I do have a large pool shed at the back of the the pool that has an eithernet switch. I'd hate to have to buy a Z-Net just for that. I still have a Ztroller kicking around, but it's a USB device and adding a USB-to-eithernet device would in my opinion likely have it's reliability issues. The only other thought would be to use Arduino, but the lead length to the probe would probably be 20 feet.
    Any suggestions for reliable pool temperature readings?

Thanks

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Can anything here help? https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-520272-Temperature-Replacement-Automation/dp/B001DO18FS Sorry not Zwave

Eman
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

You might consider the ambient weather pool sensor and plug in. Works well and has a good range. A plus is the in-pool temperature readout.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MGJ4F4T..._WdeSRtkG1vODc

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
        You might consider the ambient weather pool sensor and plug in. Works well and has a good range. A plus is the in-pool temperature readout.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MGJ4F4T..._WdeSRtkG1vODc

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
        I have an ambient weather station and didn't know about this. Looks good.

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I'm in the process of locating a spare raspberry pi to monitor pool temperature and using wifi to get it back into homeseer. The pi is using a ds18b20 wired into the suction side of the pool plumbing.
          Would that be something that might work?
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            I'm in the process of locating a spare raspberry pi to monitor pool temperature and using wifi to get it back into homeseer. The pi is using a ds18b20 wired into the suction side of the pool plumbing.
            Would that be something that might work?
            So did you drill a hole into the intake plumbing and seal(glue) the ds18b20 into it? I do have a spare Arduino and eithernet sheild that like the raspberry pi I can incorporate into HS as I have the plugin.
            Though the the advantage of the Ambient weather solution is there is a floating sensor much like the THWR800 - however, after converting to Can$ it's more like $200+

Reliability is key...

Thanks.
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

What I have done is to use LoRa to extend range of temperature sensor and tilt sensor. In my case it about 600 ft through heavy trees. LoRa is great for long distance and low data rates. neighborhood type distances can be achieved if the terrain is reasonably flat. Miles can be achieved in favorable line of sight cases.

It is a DIY project. ESP32 with LoRa front end sell for under $10 from China.

The closest I have seen for shrink wrap is EB32 from Ebyte where RS232 or RS485 is used to interface each end and LoRa RF forms the virtual wire.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

So did you drill a hole into the intake plumbing and seal(glue) the ds18b20 into it? I do have a spare Arduino and eithernet sheild that like the raspberry pi I can incorporate into HS as I have the plugin.
                Though the the advantage of the Ambient weather solution is there is a floating sensor much like the THWR800 - however, after converting to Can$ it's more like $200+

Reliability is key...

Thanks.
                No, I have one that screws into a PVC tee fitting: Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot1.png Views:	0 Size:	228.8 KB ID:	1407465

amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The price when I bought it last week was $15 - now it's $21(?) - there might be cheaper alternatives out there, but I wanted one that screwed into a PVC tee instead of drilling a hole.
                Last edited by rmasonjr; July 31, 2020, 08:11 AM. Reason: added amazon link
                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post

I have an ambient weather station and didn't know about this. Looks good.
                  It only works with one of the new weather displays, make sure it will talk to YOUR display.
                  HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                  Home Assistant 2024.3
                  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                  Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                  Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                  WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post

It only works with one of the new weather displays, make sure it will talk to YOUR display.
                    The product linked comes with it's own display and bridge to the ambientweather cloud.

Comment

I have a WS-1550 with an Observer IP. Does it talk to that?

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                        I have a WS-1550 with an Observer IP. Does it talk to that?
                        No.

Comment

Looks like the F007TP would work for that.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

rmasonjr Thanks for that. That looks like a viable simple solution. I'll need to see what there is available for a tee-fitting.
                            I have an WS 1550-IP as well, but it doesn't matter since the Ambient Weather WS-8482-3107 7-Channel WiFi Remote Monitoring Weather Station with Indoor/Outdoor Temperature & Humidity is a separate solution.

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

The product linked comes with it's own display and bridge to the ambientweather cloud.
                              Odd. Why do they think I would pay that much for a pool sensor and display when I already have an entire Ambient weather station (including display)? I was hoping they would come out with a pool sensor for existing weather stations, but I can't find one on their web site.
                              HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                              Home Assistant 2024.3
                              Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                              Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                              Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                              WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                              AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Working...
                              X