Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote temperature readings

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remote temperature readings

    Just wondering what people are currently using to read temperatures around their house. I’ve got an old RFXCOM coupled to several Oregon Scientific sensors here and there. Is there something newer and possibly more reliable, etc? Mostly interested in wireless setups. Thx!

  • #2
    FWIW my OS temp sensors and RFXCOM receiver have been very reliable for many years. Can you be more specific about the reliability you want and your concern about the OS / RFXCOM combination?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

    HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      FWIW my OS temp sensors and RFXCOM receiver have been very reliable for many years. Can you be more specific about the reliability you want and your concern about the OS / RFXCOM combination?
      I was just curious if something has “replaced” this setup, or if there are newer endpoints that one can use other than the OS offerings, etc. As far as reliability, I often get communication failures on receiving them after they’ve been working fine for months. And then before I can investigate, they seem to magically be back online. Maybe it’s my antenna?

      Also I’ve had a few OS sensors that seemed to have quit. The local read outs still work, but they will not communicate at all with the RFXCOM when readding them.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kwolter View Post
        As far as reliability, I often get communication failures on receiving them after they’ve been working fine for months. And then before I can investigate, they seem to magically be back online. Maybe it’s my antenna?
        I see that too, but not often enough to be of concern to me. I suspect that the transmitter in those OS sensors is not very powerful. If you have an application where you need connectivity over a significant distance, then I agree, the OS sensors may not be the best choice.

        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

        HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

        Comment


        • #5
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	62
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1407375


          I have never seen a Z-wave Temp only sensor. I use Aqara WSDCGQ11LM Temperature Humidity Sensors. They are about $10 to $12 on Gearbest.com. They are ZigBee so I use JowiHue plugin. So far no issues at all.

          Jim

          Comment


          • #6
            I've got loads of these around...

            https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...ti-sensor-3-pk
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

            Plug-Ins Enabled:
            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

            Comment


            • #7
              There are also many different battery powered Z-Wave motion sensor/temp sensor combos too.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have the Zigbee WSDCGQ11LM that I have interfaced via Hubitat and Zigbee2MQTT. I suspect it can also be interfaced via the HST Zigbee too.

                For a WiFi solution (i.e. does not need some form of hub) I find the Shelly H&T very attractive. Looks like an egg with the top and bottom flatten so it fits the decor nicely. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...emperature-h-t Battery life is about a year with status reported hourly.

                Zigbee is nice for battery operated devices. Shelly has done a good job with a WiFi solution that has good battery life.

                I still have my 1-wire install where I have temperature sensors inserted in RJ11 plugs that fit the original build telco wiring to each room. They become "invisible" and just work.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jbfoster View Post
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	62
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1407375


                  I have never seen a Z-wave Temp only sensor. I use Aqara WSDCGQ11LM Temperature Humidity Sensors. They are about $10 to $12 on Gearbest.com. They are ZigBee so I use JowiHue plugin. So far no issues at all.

                  Jim
                  Wow... these are perfect in terms of easy availability and low-cost. I've been looking for a similar Zwave device and could never find ones at this price-point. Thanks for pointing these out!

                  BTW, what do use for the ZigBee hardware communication from HS to these devices?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TC1 View Post

                    Wow... these are perfect in terms of easy availability and low-cost. I've been looking for a similar Zwave device and could never find ones at this price-point. Thanks for pointing these out!

                    BTW, what do use for the ZigBee hardware communication from HS to these devices?
                    I use the ConBee II USB dongle. Currently it’s $38.94 on Amazon.

                    Jim


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jbfoster View Post

                      I use the ConBee II USB dongle. Currently it’s $38.94 on Amazon.

                      Jim


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      So newbie to Zigbee question, if I was to eventually invest in Philips Hue lights, could I use the Hue gateway instead, or has Philips make it a proprietary version of ZigBee?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TC1 View Post

                        So newbie to Zigbee question, if I was to eventually invest in Philips Hue lights, could I use the Hue gateway instead, or has Philips make it a proprietary version of ZigBee?
                        I have no experience with Hue so I will let someone else answer.

                        Jim


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X