Frequent "Failed sending Z-Wave Command to device" errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent "Failed sending Z-Wave Command to device" errors

I have approximately 30 z-wave devices, mostly light dimmers and light switches, but also a few sensors and battery operated controllers.

I find that FREQUENTLY, Homeseer will not control a switch when told. This seems to be many switches, not just a particular one... and I believe mostly my z-wave+ switches... I don't know that I recall an issue with my legacy zwave switches. I have a mix of legacy GE/Jasco switches, and newer GE/Jasco switches and Inovelli switches.

Here's an example of the logs:
    Code:
    Aug 01 21:03:02 norad mono[141]: 09:03:02:0672:[Device Control]->Device: Outside Back Porch Flood Lights to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Aug 01 21:03:02 norad mono[141]: 09:03:02:4260:[Device Control]->Device: Outside Back Porch Ceiling Lights to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Aug 01 21:03:02 norad mono[141]: 09:03:02:6274:[Z-Wave]->Device: <font color='#000080'>Outside Back Porch Flood Lights</font> Set to <font color='#008000'>255</font>
    Aug 01 21:03:11 norad mono[400]: Error: Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Outside Back Porch Ceiling Lights
    Aug 01 21:03:11 norad mono[141]: 09:03:11:0798:[Z-Wave Error]->Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Outside Back Porch Ceiling Lights
    Aug 01 21:03:18 norad mono[141]: 09:03:18:5762:[Device Control]->Device: Outside Back Porch Ceiling Lights to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    And advice for how to troubleshoot and resolve this? It's basically making homeseer unusable at the moment.

EDIT: To add, sometimes when it does work, it can take seconds to even minutes for the lights to respond to a command directly in homeseer, or through Google Home. Not always, but sometimes.

Sorry if this is a bleeding obvious question, but you've done an optimisation and can see in the node listing then each have plenty of registered "neighbours" they communicate with?

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
      Sorry if this is a bleeding obvious question, but you've done an optimisation and can see in the node listing then each have plenty of registered "neighbours" they communicate with?
      No, that's ok... perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

However, in this case, I have done a full network optimization and it appears to really be any switch, even ones that have tons of neighbors.

Comment

This sounds like too much traffic on the z-wave network. Either 1) too much refresh(polling) activity----in general DO NOT poll any powered device, or 2) a bad device somewhere among the 30 that is erroneously flooding the network with messages----try cutting power to each device(via switching off the breaker to it's circuit) and see if the remaining work fine. It's a painful process but might be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
          This sounds like too much traffic on the z-wave network. Either 1) too much refresh(polling) activity----in general DO NOT poll any powered device, or 2) a bad device somewhere among the 30 that is erroneously flooding the network with messages----try cutting power to each device(via switching off the breaker to it's circuit) and see if the remaining work fine. It's a painful process but might be necessary.
          Man, that does sound like a pain... but you might be right. Is there any way to diagnose via homeseer in debug mode or anything? I assume not...

The big issues is that this seems to be an inconsistent issues. Sometimes the delay is 1 second. Sometimes it's 2 mins. Very unpredictable. But I would say the stability is only about 70% of the time. 30% of the time, it demonstrates these undesired behaviors.

Comment

Did you find the root cause of this problem? I have recently developed something similar in my HS3. Very slow and sluggish.

I did several full optimizations and it did not help but it seemed to clean up some issue based on the output display when running the optimization. I found 2 old devices that could not be contacted that ware "long gone" so I deleted the devices from the device page in HS. After that HS is pretty much non functional. It can receive messages from a few things like motion detectors but I cannot SEND to any device.

I have rebooted the PC, turned off and on the Z-Wave (Ethernet) controller.

I notice that Z-Tool on my iPhone launches, sits on the launch screen, then appears to crash. It is actually still running in the background.

Could this be a hardware failure of the older Z-NetOne (Ethernet) controller?

I have purchased HS4 but not yet installed it. Maybe it is time. It cannot get much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by mstrickland View Post
              Did you find the root cause of this problem? I have recently developed something similar in my HS3. Very slow and sluggish.

I did several full optimizations and it did not help but it seemed to clean up some issue based on the output display when running the optimization. I found 2 old devices that could not be contacted that ware "long gone" so I deleted the devices from the device page in HS. After that HS is pretty much non functional. It can receive messages from a few things like motion detectors but I cannot SEND to any device.

I have rebooted the PC, turned off and on the Z-Wave (Ethernet) controller.

I notice that Z-Tool on my iPhone launches, sits on the launch screen, then appears to crash. It is actually still running in the background.

Could this be a hardware failure of the older Z-NetOne (Ethernet) controller?

I have purchased HS4 but not yet installed it. Maybe it is time. It cannot get much worse.
              I never found the root cause, but I did find a way to treat the symptoms. I now have a scheduled reboot of my zwave znet device overnight, and that almost always "fixes" it. If I don't reboot the znet on a regular basis, within a few days it'll start to act in unstable ways, as described above.

Comment

I opened up a Help Desk Ticket and gave them remote access to the system. They fixed the issue and when I asked what they did I got this reply ...

"I restarted the plugin and reset the Z-Wave database. At this point, anything that could have been "stuck" would have been reset so that data could pass back and forth without issue."

Since the fix the system has been fine. It took several days for the support guy but it was near the Thanksgiving holiday. I am not sure of how to "reset the Z-Wave database". Eventually I will go looking for how that is done.

I also resolved the hs.writeLog issue I was having. It seems most of my scripts had the file extension of TXT (I started with HS in 1999). If you change the script to a file extension of VB it works. Read all the way to the end of this post for the solution if you need it:
                https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...command-errors

Comment

I've had to use jon00 's restart plugin to restart the Z-Wave plugin every 3.5 hours to get my Z-Wave devices anywhere near stable enough that the wife doesn't come at me with an axe. So, same solution, (Well Workaround),

Z-Wave support is simply broken no matter what others might say. When I turn off the restarts, within an afternoon my lights fail to come on, go on by themselves, I manually press the paddle to turn on a wall light and it turns itself off 2 seconds later.. Where oh where do I end?

But restarting the plugin every 3-4 hours has made the Z-Wave burps that do occur a shoulder shrug when she asks why the kitchen lights and living room light went out when she opened the garage service door! Nothing at all connects, references or refers to the kitchen lights or living room lights (about 5 of them) anywhere in my system. Not in events, not in associations, NADA! I look at the log and it shows the garage light going on and right away logs that the other lights are being turned off. No event that references any of them to the garage light. And that's just one example.

So until HST takes this seriously, I've paused my Z-Wave conversion from X-10 to Z-Wave with about $500 of Z-Wave devices sitting on tables in my basement in unopened boxes!

One of these days, I may just send all of them to HST (They are various types from GE/JASCO/Leviton/HST) and then send them a bill for them to reimburse me for the money I spent that I can not use and gathering dust!

WAKE UP HST! Z-Wave support is BROKEN!

Comment

The current Z-Wave plugin in HS4 is the same as that used in HS3. Increasing delays with Z-Wave responses would indicate you have too much chatter on the network. Have you checked your poll settings on each device?
                    Jon

Comment

Yes, I have checked polling on all my devices. I have polling turned off for everything but locks and those are polled only once every 6 hours. So no traffic that I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by skhs View Post

I never found the root cause, but I did find a way to treat the symptoms. I now have a scheduled reboot of my zwave znet device overnight, and that almost always "fixes" it. If I don't reboot the znet on a regular basis, within a few days it'll start to act in unstable ways, as described above.
                        Almost always the case with my z-nets and a reboot solves it for me as well. I have to make sure that rebooting the z's are part of my scheduled network maintenance or the failures start after maintenance has been completed. I am using an adapter and POE switch to power them. I've also noticed the z-nets flake out if the internet connection is lost for any reason.

Comment

Originally posted by skhs View Post

To reset the zwave database (in HS4):

Go to the Z-wave Legacy Plugin page, Config page, Click the Reset Z-wave Data
                          HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                          Number of Devices: 449
                          Number of Events: 210

Plug-Ins: Arduino, BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, WeatherXML, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post

To reset the zwave database (in HS4):

Go to the Z-wave Legacy Plugin page, Config page, Click the Reset Z-wave Data
                            jmaddox,
                            I'm still on HS3 and I do don't see the "RESET z-wave data" anywhere? URL please?

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                              I've had to use jon00 's restart plugin to restart the Z-Wave plugin every 3.5 hours to get my Z-Wave devices anywhere near stable enough that the wife doesn't come at me with an axe. So, same solution, (Well Workaround),
                              WAKE UP HST! Z-Wave support is BROKEN!
                              Whether or not the z-wave plugin is broken probably is subjective. At least they could provide a little more debugging information so that we, (or the helpdesk), can troubleshoot. Years ago a friend of mine and I talked with Rick Tinker extensively about HomeSeer and Z-wave. He sounded very confident about the solution and made it sound like that there are good troubleshooting tools available. This was not a marketing spiel, but serious confidence in the product. So, I am guessing that z-wave, like anything, is not perfect and we just need better expertise and knowledge to better troubleshoot.

Either way, I am confident that RF solutions will always be challenging. Insteon certainly is not the answer. Especially not the older generation versions.

HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Working...
                              X