Frequent "Failed sending Z-Wave Command to device" errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent "Failed sending Z-Wave Command to device" errors

I have approximately 30 z-wave devices, mostly light dimmers and light switches, but also a few sensors and battery operated controllers.

I find that FREQUENTLY, Homeseer will not control a switch when told. This seems to be many switches, not just a particular one... and I believe mostly my z-wave+ switches... I don't know that I recall an issue with my legacy zwave switches. I have a mix of legacy GE/Jasco switches, and newer GE/Jasco switches and Inovelli switches.

Here's an example of the logs:
    Code:
    Aug 01 21:03:02 norad mono[141]: 09:03:02:0672:[Device Control]->Device: Outside Back Porch Flood Lights to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Aug 01 21:03:02 norad mono[141]: 09:03:02:4260:[Device Control]->Device: Outside Back Porch Ceiling Lights to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Aug 01 21:03:02 norad mono[141]: 09:03:02:6274:[Z-Wave]->Device: <font color='#000080'>Outside Back Porch Flood Lights</font> Set to <font color='#008000'>255</font>
    Aug 01 21:03:11 norad mono[400]: Error: Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Outside Back Porch Ceiling Lights
    Aug 01 21:03:11 norad mono[141]: 09:03:11:0798:[Z-Wave Error]->Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Outside Back Porch Ceiling Lights
    Aug 01 21:03:18 norad mono[141]: 09:03:18:5762:[Device Control]->Device: Outside Back Porch Ceiling Lights to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    And advice for how to troubleshoot and resolve this? It's basically making homeseer unusable at the moment.

EDIT: To add, sometimes when it does work, it can take seconds to even minutes for the lights to respond to a command directly in homeseer, or through Google Home. Not always, but sometimes.

Sorry if this is a bleeding obvious question, but you've done an optimisation and can see in the node listing then each have plenty of registered "neighbours" they communicate with?
    ‚Äč
    What the actual?!? When I make a sarcastic remark or joke it is moderated/deleted.
    But you specifically go out of your way to label multiple HS4 issues that cause data loss/crash of HS4 to be "grumbles".
    I can't even begin to put into words how offensive this is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
      Sorry if this is a bleeding obvious question, but you've done an optimisation and can see in the node listing then each have plenty of registered "neighbours" they communicate with?
      No, that's ok... perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

However, in this case, I have done a full network optimization and it appears to really be any switch, even ones that have tons of neighbors.

Comment

This sounds like too much traffic on the z-wave network. Either 1) too much refresh(polling) activity----in general DO NOT poll any powered device, or 2) a bad device somewhere among the 30 that is erroneously flooding the network with messages----try cutting power to each device(via switching off the breaker to it's circuit) and see if the remaining work fine. It's a painful process but might be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
          This sounds like too much traffic on the z-wave network. Either 1) too much refresh(polling) activity----in general DO NOT poll any powered device, or 2) a bad device somewhere among the 30 that is erroneously flooding the network with messages----try cutting power to each device(via switching off the breaker to it's circuit) and see if the remaining work fine. It's a painful process but might be necessary.
          Man, that does sound like a pain... but you might be right. Is there any way to diagnose via homeseer in debug mode or anything? I assume not...

The big issues is that this seems to be an inconsistent issues. Sometimes the delay is 1 second. Sometimes it's 2 mins. Very unpredictable. But I would say the stability is only about 70% of the time. 30% of the time, it demonstrates these undesired behaviors.

Comment

Working...
          X