No announcement yet.

Device string in HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I contacted Rich about this and asked him if we should be using the new methods in HS4 for scripting. His view is to continue to use the HS3 methods. Here is his response:

I would just continue to use the HS3 version, probably easier to use. The HS4 API was designed for plugins so there may be some issues. Note that the HS4 API ends up calling the HS3 one anyway. The scripting API is not going away, or changing. We are making sure that any new functions (like the category functions) are available through scripting (the are now). Think of the scripting API as a low level API and the HS4 as a higher level API.
    Hopefully this one can be put to bed.
    Jon

Comment

Code:
      Think of the scripting API as a low level API and the HS4 as a higher level API.
      ????????

tenholde

Comment

That means hs4 is a wrapper around hs3 api?

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
          That means hs4 is a wrapper around hs3 api?
          A responsive wrapper

Comment

Let's just call it's a wrap!
            Jon

Comment

Expensive, useless wrapper. I paid $60 to upgrade and I'm using ..../deviceutility link to use the old HS3 interface that is better. I understand the drive behind it - to make it simpler and appealing to wider user base. However as someone said famously once " If you make it for fools, than only fools will use it". Homeautomation is a meeting point of all kinds of technologies - legacy, current and upcoming. It takes some skills, intelligence and HomeSeer should be at par. Just MHO.

Comment

Working...
              X